Mileage Reporting 40th week 2013

This was my last week before my marathon taper was planned to start, but with my leg pains from last weekends failed long run I guess I started my taper early. Good news is the leg seems fine now. A couple days off and then easing back in very slowly seemed to work great. So it must have been minor, just a little bit abused from the race and then hard training, and probably not enough recovery. Good thing I atleast bailed when I did in that run rather than trying to run through it.

Mon, Tues no activity (letting the leg recover)

Wednesday I was really itching to run a little. Did my 2 mile walk at lunch, leg seemed fine (although pressing on the spot I could still feel slight discomfort). Decided to try a really easy run that night, 3.6 miles but about a mile of that was walking. 13-15mm pace.

Thursday felt about the same. Legs felt fine and really wanted to move. Still could feel the spot with moderate pressure. Did my lunch walk, and then at home 3.5 miles easy run, still a very slow warmup and cooldown but this time I speed up to about 10-12mm pace.

Friday I took off, except for my 2 mile lunch walk.

Saturday could barely feel the spot anymore, did 5 miles, slow easy warmup and cooldown, peaked around 10mm pace.

Sunday decided I was good to go, and did my shortened long run (starting taper) of 12.4 mi. Long slow warmup and cooldown. Kept it around 9-10 pace, with a 10 minute stretch in the middle I brought it down into the low 8's just to stretch the legs out. Felt good!

So even though most of the running was very slow and easy I still seemed to have recovered from my minor issue and got in 24ish miles. Hopefully this wont be a setback for the race. I'll probably target around the same mileage next week but bump up the intensity of the shorter midweek runs.

Dealing with this achilles or peroneal tendinitis or a bursa or some crap. TMTS, I know, but still...

MON rest, Tues, 2.3 m, Wed 2.7m
Thurs: due to the pain between ankle and heel... 4.7m of road cycling.
Fri rest.
Saturday... rain!!! 6.6miles smiling laughing and leaping into every puddle I could find!!!
Today, the boy saw me suiting up to ride and asked to go with. We (the 10 year-old and I) went 4 miles in 45 minutes, then after I dropped him off at home, I rode 6.6 at 125-145bpm.

I limp the day after a run, but recover quickly enough that I want to run after a couple days, I may just use the bike this week until a long run this coming weekend, we'll see if I can discipline myself to not run.

I really like the Merino socks for winter and have about had it with the regular tech shirts...thinking about trying a Merino shirt...I've heard they are good even in the summer.
I got this for $48: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GVY8L2/ref=oh_details_o07_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • 81-khhRYkNL._SX522_.jpg
Looks like the price on Amazon has gone up to $65, but maybe some place else has it for cheaper.

It's counterintuitive to think that wearing a wool shirt could keep you cooler than cotton, but that's what I found to be the case this summer. Merino wool is great for wicking the sweat away, and it chafes less than cotton too. It's also great for keeping you warm on cold, rainy days. I think this t-shirt pretty much covers all my spring, summer, and fall running needs (in addition to shorts of course). So even though it's pricey, you get a lot of use out of it. When I get home, I wear it and my Brooks shorts into the shower, rinse them out, and they're good to go; they dry out quickly and don't stink, even without using soap.

Only once it gets close to freezing do I think I'll need another layer. I've run-commuted with it now a few times in the 40s and it was still warm enough. Once it gets a bit colder, I'll put on a long-sleeve version, and then when it gets a bit colder than that, I'll add a layer with my Merino wool sweater.

Did a 5.5 mi mud/trail run on Sat I didn't go for time I went for fun and fun it was:)
This race was an adventure run. More than just cross country trails, it included hay-bales, creek crossings, a steep “gully” crossing with ropes and logs across the trail. This was an off-road race with many obstacles, hills, mud lots of mud and many more other obstacles including cow dung piles(the course went thru a cow pasture).
Came home with a door price, a Timex sports watch and a second place age group medal. It was tons of fun.

15.75 miles today. I would have ran 16 if I had known I was that close but I paused MapMyRun at mile 5ish and it saved it so I wasn't sure where I was so when I got near my car I stopped. Ran part of the course for the half I have coming up in a couple of weeks and the hills are totally doable. Now I'm HUNGRY.

A 1/4 of a mile doesnt really mean anything training wise, don't sweat that. Good luck in you upcoming race!

One of the people in the group I hiked with yesterday took a pretty good shot of me going up the rock-strewn path. Much of yesterday's hike was up and down slopes like it.

You might consider adding to the discussions in the hiking section, especially if you have pics!

I got this for $48: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GVY8L2/ref=oh_details_o07_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Looks like the price on Amazon has gone up to $65, but maybe some place else has it for cheaper.

It's counterintuitive to think that wearing a wool shirt could keep you cooler than cotton, but that's what I found to be the case this summer. Merino wool is great for wicking the sweat away, and it chafes less than cotton too. It's also great for keeping you warm on cold, rainy days. I think this t-shirt pretty much covers all my spring, summer, and fall running needs (in addition to shorts of course). So even though it's pricey, you get a lot of use out of it. When I get home, I wear it and my Brooks shorts into the shower, rinse them out, and they're good to go; they dry out quickly and don't stink, even without using soap.

Only once it gets close to freezing do I think I'll need another layer. I've run-commuted with it now a few times in the 40s and it was still warm enough. Once it gets a bit colder, I'll put on a long-sleeve version, and then when it gets a bit colder than that, I'll add a layer with my Merino wool sweater.

Thats great that shirt works out for ya. I have some merino baselayers I wear in the winter, but they are all long sleeve. Not sure about T-shirts but icebreaker merino stuff sometimes shows up on steep and cheap (.com). But its so pricey I'm afraid to sweat in them lol! I save mine for camping, hiking, hunting - special trips and not just my daily run. I've got so many free race shirts, and those are what a wear 90% of the time now, and I dont seem to have any complaints about them from the hottest summer day to the cold of winter (at least for running or casual wear), plus casual wear and often under a button up shirt at work. The free stuff works good for me. ;) I missed out on a super deal about a year ago on lightweight merino t-shirts, if I come across another I may be tempted to try. The free race shirts are fine, but I'd rather be wearing all natural sustainable stuff.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Thats great that shirt works out for ya. I have some merino baselayers I wear in the winter, but they are all long sleeve. Not sure about T-shirts but icebreaker merino stuff sometimes shows up on steep and cheap (.com). But its so pricey I'm afraid to sweat in them lol! I save mine for camping, hiking, hunting - special trips and not just my daily run. I've got so many free race shirts, and those are what a wear 90% of the time now, and I dont seem to have any complaints about them from the hottest summer day to the cold of winter (at least for running or casual wear), plus casual wear and often under a button up shirt at work. The free stuff works good for me. ;) I missed out on a super deal about a year ago on lightweight merino t-shirts, if I come across another I may be tempted to try. The free race shirts are fine, but I'd rather be wearing all natural sustainable stuff.
I haven't gotten free shirts since I outgrew my older brother's hand-me-downs.

I used to just wear cotton, and I could still get by with it if I had to, but for a few hundred dollars I can outfit myself with stuff that's more comfortable in all sorts of weather and temps and is easier to maintain.

My problem with the synthetic materials I've tried is that they stink. Even during a run. Last winter when I went to pick up my daughter after a run I would shy away from getting too close to anyone, lest they whiff my foul chemical order. With the Merino shirts and sweaters I can go weeks just rinsing them out in the shower. If I were a bachelor I might guess I was just immune to my own stink, but my wife has a world-class nose, and she agrees. I've been really impressed. Now I'm questioning whether I need my plastic shell jacket when it gets really cold out. I wonder if just a third layer of Merino would do the trick. I know two layers should get me down to the teens or single digits.

And of course, on the ideological side of things, wearing a 100% natural fabric goes well with the whole natural/barefoot running deal.

Anyway, if you find out about any good sales on Merino stuff, please PM me and let me know.

For the $48, I hope it came with the shave, the chiseled cheekbones, and the body for free. Or at least a souvenir lamb from which you could make new shirts.

For the $48, I hope it came with the shave, the chiseled cheekbones, and the body for free. Or at least a souvenir lamb from which you could make new shirts.

That said, I have a very thin merino sweater I got on super sale from backcountry.com years ago. It it thin but warm in the winter, cool in the spring/fall, and the fabric has held up really well. Not saying you don't get what you pay for, but my head still explodes a little whenever I think of $50 for a top. Those merinos clearly have a college fund, though I doubt those who made it do.

Yes, I forgot to mention that it slims away all your body fat (but only while you're wearing it). Kind of like a girdle.

They also clip a good minute per mile off my pace, and you can squeeze a protein shake out of the accumulated sweat mid-run if you get hungry. Really a remarkable fabric. If I had a bigger yard, I would definitely fill it with Merinos, especially if they come with a United Merino College Fund.

I think my wife's head would explode a bit too if I told her how much the shirt cost. She would have to go out and buy yet another jaguar-themed clothing item to implode her gray matter back in.

Butt seriously, with so many useful features--good in a variety of temps and conditions, easy maintenance, wrinkle-free and stinkless--I'm quite happy with my purchase, and I'm pretty sure they last a long time too, as long as you pet it once in a while.

Reactions: scedastic
Yes, I forgot to mention that it slims away all your body fat (but only while you're wearing it). Kind of like a girdle.

They also clip a good minute per mile off my pace, and you can squeeze a protein shake out of the accumulated sweat mid-run if you get hungry. Really a remarkable fabric. If I had a bigger yard, I would definitely fill it with Merinos, especially if they come with a United Merino College Fund.

I think my wife's head would explode a bit too if I told her how much the shirt cost. She would have to go out and buy yet another jaguar-themed clothing item to implode her gray matter back in.

Butt seriously, with so many useful features--good in a variety of temps and conditions, easy maintenance, wrinkle-free and stinkless--I'm quite happy with my purchase, and I'm pretty sure they last a long time too, as long as you pet it once in a while.

Hey, who got that shot of me right before I went running? weird.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts