Mileage Reporting 38th week 2013

Best wishes for breakin 20! Small group: maybe you can place?

Done!
clappy_zpsde7a1b1b.gif

A quick report I put here http://thebarefootrunners.org/threads/sub-twenty-minute-5k-goal-accomplished.14848/

That puts my miles at about 13 miles for the week. Not very much, and a bad number, so thinking I may actually go out a do an easy few miles tomorrow. Not sure, but I'll try. Got to work off some carbs too, the 5k didnt burn enough to compensate for all the celebrating afterwards. :oops:

Friday afternoon. I did a fair portion of the rest of my upper body workout, low to medium effort.

Saturday morning, woke up around 5am. I felt like my energy reserves had been replenished, but ate a banana and a protein bar anyway, just in case, after I made a cup of coffee with my Mokaman (is that where your moniker comes from Mokaman?). The plan was to do the most essential exercises of my mid-body strength-training routine, and then go out for some sort of recovery run. I was still a little sore from Thursday's run, and so had given up on the idea of doing a third half-marathonish distance for the week. But I would still be heading out that direction. Running east from my neighborhood, there are lots of shorter routes/bail-outs along the way. Here's a map of the 13-mile route in blue, with all the possible route variations in yellow.

13-mi. Larp-Rose-Turtle Creek-Como with shorter options.jpg

I started out a little sluggish, but after a few miles my legs started to loosen up. I decided to make it a 8-9 mile run, so that I could get in around 35 miles on the week:

8.jpg
(Point of origin and finish blotted out in case there's a crazy shoddie troll from RW lurking, waiting to stalk and slay a bfrunner in a vicious, over-pronationalist hate-crime.)

There were already a few other joggers out on the neighborhood sidewalks and then quite a few folks out around Como Lake enjoying the cool morning weather (50F/10C). My wife called just before I hit Como Lake telling me she needed her Social Security card for her citizenship class at 9am. Opps. That was in my office, and it was just before 8am. So I took it up a gear and ran the last 3.5 miles at around 9mm pace.

On my way back, two middle-aged cyclists went by, in full weekend racing kit, one says, "I've been meaning to try that, but I don't know if I have the balls."

I says to him, I says, "A lot of barefoot runners don't have any balls, rather ovaries, and they do just fine."

Anyhow, I kind of surprised myself I could sustain that pace when my legs were still a bit sore from Thursday's slog. 9mm used to be my tempo pace. This seems to indicate two things. One, the increased mileage is really improving my running fitness, as I suspected it would. Two, I need to push myself a bit more at the end of my runs, at least once in a while; I've gotten a bit too comfortable just running purely aerobic pace this last month or so while building up the mileage. There's a nice pace in between tempo and aerobic, around 9mm, that I can probably sustain on most of my mezzo runs.

So anyways, 8.28 miles on the day, minus .09 while walkie-talking to my wife, so 8.19 miles. That brings me up to a grand total of 36.11 miles on the week:

Sun: 14.19 mi run
Mon: 1 mi run, then sick, 1.3 mi walk
Tues: sick, 2.2 mi walk
Wed. Bench press
Thur: 12.23 mi run, 1 mi walk
Fri. .5 mi run, 1 mi walk, upper st
Sat. 8.19 mi run, mid st, .09 walk

Yippee! I took my kids out for pancakes (while my wife was in class) to celebrate my new mpw pr.

Congrats Tristan! Pretty damn speedy!
Oh, and a belated 'Epic run report!' to Bare Lee - enjoyed the photos, Minneapolis looks like a nice city to run around. I've always had a minor fascination with Minneapolis because one of my favourite bands (Trip Shakespeare) from back in the day happen to be from there by chance, so it's nice to see what the place looks like.
Ha! Their bassist John Munson and I used to carpool together in high school for the Greater Twin Cities Youth Symphony (he played trombone, I played French Horn). We're from the same neighborhood, he's my younger brother's age, but he went to a private school so they didn't know each other that well. He told me later that I was his original inspiration for taking up the bass (I played in the high school jazz band). After college I played in a post-punk band for a few years before Trip Shakespeare got going. So I played a minor part of that whole scene. Warming up for the The Replacements in front of 3000 people was about as big as we got. But I remember talking to one of the guys in The Replacements backstage and him telling me a couple of them still had to hold down day jobs to pay the rent. That's when I decided to hang up my musical aspirations and began my world travels four to six months later. My bandmates were bummed that I was leaving just as we were starting to get better gigs.

I met a lot of Australians while traveling. You guys and Germans are the great backpackers of the world. I love the Australian laid-back, self-effacing attitude. Always easy to hang with the Aussies.

but we better get started on that winter challenge as I would have 4 runs in already this fall.
The challenge is definitely biased against you folks in Winnipeg! You should be given an extra month on either end. It's still a little against us here in the Twin Cities, that's why I focus on the sub-freezing sub-classification.
This year I had my first experience of running in Minneapolis and St. Paul, and I completely concur that's one my favorite place to run now. The running races that are organized there are first rate and the race I ran this summer out there with my daughter was the best condition I've ever ran barefoot on. The views were spectacular, we ran right beside the river on Sheppard. Oh and Lee is not a chipmunk, I had the pleasure of meeting up with him and sharing a few beers to rehydrate after the run. :D
It's great to hear so many endorsements of my city. I guess I take it for granted sometimes, and complain too much about the winters. But it really isn't too bad in a lot of ways. Just overly familiar I guess.

You guys ran right on Shepard Road, on the concrete, right? Now that I'm starting to get comfortable with 10+mile distances, I'm getting a slight itch to run a half-marathon. I'm eying two January races, the Polar and the Securian. For either one you can sign-up right before, so I could wait to see whether temps will be favorable. In the middle of winter in the midwest I would think there'd be zero chance of loonies trying to blow people up, so perhaps I could talk my wife into letting me do it.

Anyway, it was great meeting up with you. I guess we blew it not asking the server to take our picture together.
Had a blast with hubby runlite01.
Oh? The truth comes out! Very cool to have a bfr couple on here. So many of us have noncomprehending spouses to deal with.

Short mile and a quarter runs yesterday and today. Because of forecasted rain, I didn't get to do the strenuous hike originally planned yesterday, but joined up with a couple of other people for a seven mile walk over rolling terrain.

Had a strange dream Friday night where I realized I had been wearing shoes and took them off. My toes had turned into shortened stubs. Then as I walked around barefoot, they began turning into long fingers.

Yeah. Barefoot dancing. It makes me happy. It seems to make everyone in the bar happy just to see me having so much fun. Dancing to Call Me The Breeze def my favorite last night. Cannot do the MAF thing while dancing, though. But though I perspire, I am not ever out of breath.

8 mile trail run yesterday. started when it was pouring down rain. dog and i loved it. he didn't like his bath after but he since he do it i had to. feet became quite sore at the end. mostly the right foot from the cuts i got from the race last sunday.

Laura, you wear a HR monitor while you dance?

BL, did you see the guys reactions?

8 mile trail run yesterday. started when it was pouring down rain. dog and i loved it. he didn't like his bath after but he since he do it i had to. feet became quite sore at the end. mostly the right foot from the cuts i got from the race last sunday.

Laura, you wear a HR monitor while you dance?

So are you going to do any long runs at Hagg Lake now that you are out closer to there?

Saturday morning, woke up around 5am. I felt like my energy reserves had been replenished, but ate a banana and a protein bar anyway, just in case, after I made a cup of coffee with my Mokaman (is that where your moniker comes from Mokaman?).

Nope...I picked mokaman cause I'm a home coffee roaster...kind a like a home beer brewer but with coffee. Not familiar with the Mokaman coffee brewer...is that a one cup brewer of some sort?

Over an hour of water exercises, tonight - during which I had an amazing revelation! I can DANCE in the water! Fantastic aerial ballet moves!!! A little jazz, too. :) Though it is not yet time to take up tap dancing, again, realizing that I AM able painlessly dance RIGHT NOW, is exhilarating!!!

Ha! Their bassist John Munson and I used to carpool together in high school for the Greater Twin Cities Youth Symphony (he played trombone, I played French Horn). We're from the same neighborhood, he's my younger brother's age, but he went to a private school so they didn't know each other that well. He told me later that I was his original inspiration for taking up the bass (I played in the high school jazz band). After college I played in a post-punk band for a few years before Trip Shakespeare got going. So I played a minor part of that whole scene. Warming up for the The Replacements in front of 3000 people was about as big as we got. But I remember talking to one of the guys in The Replacements backstage and him telling me a couple of them still had to hold down day jobs to pay the rent. That's when I decided to hang up my musical aspirations and began my world travels four to six months later. My bandmates were bummed that I was leaving just as we were starting to get better gigs.

Wow, how cool. It really is a small world.

I've heard a few stories about the commercial reality of being a proper muso - it doesn't sound quite so glamorous for most. Still, that doesn't stop me from wishing I was just a little bit musically talented.

Back on topic (well sorta) - no running today, but went out at lunch time to throw a basketball around at a mini-court on the side of the local skate park. We didn't bank on it being school holidays though - there were kids on skateboards everywhere, and we decided to call it a day after we nearly cleaned up a couple of little ones on scooters.

I've heard a few stories about the commercial reality of being a proper muso - it doesn't sound quite so glamorous for most. Still, that doesn't stop me from wishing I was just a little bit musically talented.
I think it's gotten worse now. It used to be musicians played live to promote record sales. Now they have to practically give their music away and then play live to make some money.

The only time I made money as a musician was in Japan, in a small jazz club playing Count Basie-type trad jazz every night, after teaching English, and in a 50s and 60s rock-n-roll cover band. I also became the go-to bass player when someone needed a foreigner to play at a hotel or store opening or something. There were plenty of Japanese jazz bassists who were much better than me, but I was adequate, and so my foreign appeal got me the gigs.
Nope...I picked mokaman cause I'm a home coffee roaster...kind a like a home beer brewer but with coffee. Not familiar with the Mokaman coffee brewer...is that a one cup brewer of some sort?
Cool. Somehow barefoot running and home brewing/roasting seem to go together in my cultural imagination. A Mokaman looks like this:
417USxY5gYL.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Express-6-Cup-Stovetop-Espresso/dp/B000CNY6UK/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379936653&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=moka man pot

http://kishko.blogspot.com/2006/01/bialetti-moka-man.html

I've got a single and one that makes a cup's worth. In my office I have a Krupps pump-driven espresso machine. I keep trying to quit caffeine, but it's much bigger than me.

The guy started praising me from a little behind, by the time I had finished responding they were well ahead of me. But his head was still turned and he nodded acknowledgement of my response. Whether or not he understood what I said, I dunno. Maybe he just heard, "Eat my barefoot dust you cycling wuss!" As a former salesman, you know that we often hear what we want to hear.

Reactions: happysongbird
I think it's gotten worse now. It used to be musicians played live to promote record sales. Now they have to practically give their music away and then play live to make some money.

The only time I made money as a musician was in Japan, in a small jazz club playing Count Basie-type trad jazz every night, after teaching English, and in a 50s and 60s rock-n-roll cover band. I also became the go-to bass player when someone needed a foreigner to play at a hotel or store opening or something. There were plenty of Japanese jazz bassists who were much better than me, but I was adequate, and so my foreign appeal got me the gigs.

I'm a bassist too (since 1980). My biggest gig was opening for Kansas at a festival in front of about 9,000 people. I gave up my aspirations of being a full-time musician long ago, but I am what I refer to as a "part-time professional" musician. I get paid to play, but I don't make enough money from it to live off of. Not even close! About 10-12 years ago, I made between $200 and $600 gigging most months. Now it's down to a hundred bucks here and there. There just aren't many places to play in my neck of the woods. When I retire from my real job in a few years, I'd like to move someplace where I could play several nights a week, even for just a little money, just for something fun to do and to have a little cash. At least my gig money covers most of my expensive hobbies. I used to reinvest it into bass equipment, but that's pretty well covered now, so now it goes to other odds and ends.

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test