Mileage Reporting 34nd Week of 2013

Saturday morning
6.34 mi / 10.2 km
JHS track

Slept in until 7:30 am or so. I was planning on doing a 8-to-10-mile out-n-back, but that would entail going past the State Fair (nation's biggest), which started on Thursday, at some point. By 7:30 there would already be a lot of traffic on the surrounding streets, and I didn't want to deal with that. So I decided to get in some track work instead. The prior day's BRS thread on sole stimulation perhaps contributed to my need for some light abrading on the track's sandy gravel.

I had left my Garmin F205 at the office, so I took my F10. I didn't want to do track work gadget-less and have to count laps. After a nice .6 mile warm-up jogging down to the sports field that has the track, I took off my shirt and set out at a nice tempo pace. The temp was 75F and there was a good breeze. Perfect. The sun felt loving and undemanding.

But then I got interrupted twice, once by my wife's phone call asking where I was, after she had woken up, and another time when my 'Thievery Corporation' Pandora station cut out (I then switched to my 'Garbage' station--I love chicks with attitude singing). So after a while I wasn't quite sure how far I had gone, because unlike the F205, the F10 doesn't have a lap button. I had to either stop altogether to initiate auto-pause, or save the run up to that point in order keep my pace data, and then keep walking while I talked or monkeyed with the phone so as not to let the legs cool down too much. I figured as long as I need to have a Garmin to record my distance, I mis' well record my pace accurately too.

Funny though, not knowing one's distance mid-run is even more zen-inducing than not knowing one's pace. Nonetheless, after the second interruption I decided to peek at the pace and saw I was doing a 8:50 mm pace most of the time. I had felt I was going faster than that. It was probably the power pop.

A bit farther on, my pace started to slow, so I did a bunch of 100-meter strides goal-to-goal on the soccer field inside the track. Got down to around 6mm pace most times. It always feels good to really open it up and feel that animal grace. Wish I could sustain that for longer distances. Maybe some day.

By then I knew I had gone at least five miles, so I decided to call it a day and ran home, but not before attacking my neighborhood's steepest hill, a short hill about 350 ft (according to Google Maps) that must have something like a 12-15 percent grade. My lungs were burning by the time I got to the top of it.

And the full moon low on the horizon was quite nice. I may have to wake up a bit earlier tomorrow in order to get in a purely moonlit run. They're so magical.

I too love the magical moonlit runs!!
Well, you were one of the folks who inspired me to try early morning running in earnest. I've been amazed how quickly I've adapted to it. It's still sometimes a bit of a trick to get motivated right out of bed, but usually sometime while voiding my bowels the inspiration clicks and I'm good to go.
stuff at lunch hr
I love the minimalism. You don't even specify the activity. Bravo!

animal grace. i like that.

scedastic. were the kids focused and chewing, imagining that pie in their mouth? i know i am just reading it.

did a few little runs with the dogs now that i'm home. yesterday left the dogs home and did my long run alonish. my dog was suffering from fleas and heat so i got him groomed. he looks good and hopefully can run with me again.

i said alonish because Jen had planned on meeting with me. we ran almost 3m together when i turned around. i did 9 in just over 2hr. funny because last sunday i did almost 9 in 1:35 on road.

jen called me while i was rolling on a baseball to ask for a ride to her car because her keys fell out her bra. so i sat there waiting and watched her come down the road. NO pushing off! i'm so proud of her i had to tell everyone.

today is my rest day and i'm taking it.

Friday night: dance party here in our backyard. Dancing on the grass is a bit challenging. Cool down break dancing in the pool awhile in the dark. Totally fun. Then, back to dancing on the grass. All S2G.

Saturday night: followed our band to a local bar, but it was an outside venue with a nice cement dancing area. The cement was a touch abrasive, so although I was happy to see friends and onlookers inspired to take off their shoes, I was worried about their feet. Music was too loud to give them a course in Barefoot 101, so I just kept dancing.

The cement was rough enough that I couldn't do any of my pivot turns, so I did a lot more mid air spinning. I was pleased that I seemed to have plenty of stamina after 2 weeks of not running. One fellow was taking movies, so I'm a little concerned about them showing up on FB. There was one dance where almost all the men took off their shirts (something the band said...) and I tied up my blouse and displayed my belly. My husband does not think that my 1 TBSP of rum in my coke and rum had anything to do with it. :p

Sang one karaoke song afterward inside. Fun crowd, but I don't understand why some of those people sing in front of others. It was painful to listen, too. But, I guess if they don't have an ear for it, they may not know. Ignorance is bliss for them.

6.7 mile barefoot run today with Simon Hunter.
Great run and the first time we've gotten some of barefooters here together. Nice easy pace enjoying the run, the conversation and the good weather.
http://runmeter.com/745217ae4f6b4757/Run-20130825-1111?r=e
Got some plans to get all of us NI barefooters together in one run. :)

Most excellent "Hottest 1/2" ran at 7:30am., 81 deg., 58%rh... Saw lots of duck and different water fowl (it is around white rock lake Dallas Texas) heard a few parrots.
There were a few weird spots there was a few large concrete bridges and as you run on them with lots of other runners and bikers the bridge gives (at first I thought my legs were getting wobbly but I asked others and they felt it also). Not used to running this time of year after the sun comes up (wife says we are goth runners).
Feet Good Legs Good (at 53 Ice soak GOOD!). Next run is 20k Tour De Flure in September goes through the Dallas Arboretum.
This is the last run of the week. weekly Total miles 31.

Ok, let me start by saying I have no business running/walking in the light of day in this freakin heat. Did my 1 st 10k to day and it was great but almost knocked me to my knees. I did have my personal best time but on the last mile was really thinking about and talking about frozen margaritas to get me over the finish. Think I will stick to cooler temp running meets. Doing another 10k in September. Reeeeeaaaaly hoping for cooler temps then.

Ok, let me start by saying I have no business running/walking in the light of day in this freakin heat. Did my 1 st 10k to day and it was great but almost knocked me to my knees. I did have my personal best time but on the last mile was really thinking about and talking about frozen margaritas to get me over the finish. Think I will stick to cooler temp running meets. Doing another 10k in September. Reeeeeaaaaly hoping for cooler temps then.
Very fun for both of you, in it's own sort of way. :) My husband has always emphasized training in conditions that will simulate the race. He can be persistent.... I ran a scorching desert run one year. It is fun in retrospect. heh heh, but I also think I have gotten better at warmer temps since then.

Well I started the week off easy, met up with a friend that I hadn't run with since spring due to her having a knee problem. so an easy 6 miles Tuesday. I was still working back up from my half marathon anyhow.

Thursday I pushed things back to normal, and did some speed work. 9 miles total, a couple of faster miles and a couple of half miles. First fast mile (after a couple miles warmup) averaged 7:41mm, I was still increasing speed so it started off slower. Second mile after .4mi recoup was at 6:46mm, then the two half miles were 6:29mm and 6:22mm.

Today was my long run, finally back to where I was plus maybe a few tenths. 18.5mi, but about all I could average was around mid-9 minute miles. It was a bright sunny day, and I got a bit of a late start around 11am. On the way out the path was no problem, but by the return it was getting hot in some spots. Combine the hot surface with worn down soles and they were a bit tender by the end. A bit worried about the soles being up to 26 by October. I'll pray for smooth asphalt!

A total of 12 mi on Sat
11 mi run/walk at 5/1 cycle(semi Galloway method)
1 mi walk.
I decided to go slow cause my main goal was to spend as much time on my feet.
It has been a very, very long time since I had a decent run my last "long run" was last week at 6.25 mi so I decided to push it a little.
On my turn aroud point I decided to try the University xcountry trail and I got a good reminder of why I don't run on trails as soon as I stepped on the trail my heart rate when up(maybe all the cushioning that the grass provided)? I don't know but I had to slow down some.
what was even worst was that my back, hip and knee didn't like it. The un-eveness of the ground wasn't welcome.
I only ran a 3K on the trail but never again. Everything felt right once I went back on the paved trail.
Anyways, the end result was good no ill effects of any kind.

On my turn aroud point I decided to try the University xcountry trail and I got a good reminder of why I don't run on trails as soon as I stepped on the trail my heart rate when up(maybe all the cushioning that the grass provided)? I don't know but I had to slow down some.
what was even worst was that my back, hip and knee didn't like it. The un-eveness of the ground wasn't welcome.
I only ran a 3K on the trail but never again. Everything felt right once I went back on the paved trail.
Anyways, the end result was good no ill effects of any kind.

Maybe you tensed up some and weren't running very relaxed while you were on it? That could spike the heart rate some. And it may be it just isn't for you, won't ever be something that's in your comfort zone or something that you can enjoy, but maybe there's always a chance that if you work on introducing yourself to it slowly, you can grow to enjoy it and its different challenges.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Maybe you tensed up some and weren't running very relaxed while you were on it? That could spike the heart rate some. And it may be it just isn't for you, won't ever be something that's in your comfort zone or something that you can enjoy, but maybe there's always a chance that if you work on introducing yourself to it slowly, you can grow to enjoy it and its different challenges.

Oh I've done it before but the uneveness of the ground is hard on my back.
I do know that when I am running on the road and my heart rate goes up is either because I am going faster than intended(on long slow runs) or I am not relaxed. And I assure you I did pay attention to the relaxing part and I was.

Reactions: Bare Lee
softer trail is more worker than firm asphalt or concrete.

i forgot to add a little story to my long run. i added some coconut oil to the jewels to prevent any chafing. it worked good. the only problem was i should've added around the hole where the sun don't shine because that got all sweaty and chafed a little. the cheeks not the hole.

softer trail is more worker than firm asphalt or concrete.

i forgot to add a little story to my long run. i added some coconut oil to the jewels to prevent any chafing. it worked good. the only problem was i should've added around the hole where the sun don't shine because that got all sweaty and chafed a little. the cheeks not the hole.
That explains the heart rate issue you hairy butt-have you tried Desitin on the hole to save your cheeks?

Wanted to stay off the hills so went to Rabbit Hill park... 1 hour recovery run on the flat pavement...6.8 miles. Nice morning low 70'sF...72% humidity...felt like Fall kinda. Legs are still a bit sore so will take it easy again next run I think.
Are you posting on the wrong week Moka? again?:)