Mileage Reporting 32nd Week of 2013

Great 5 mile run at 4:45 am., 88 deg., 52 % rh... At mile 1.25 I saw a cat, no 2 cat, no hell it was 4 ringtail bandits (out for there morning run?) the boss got on its hind legs and stared at me till I ran off (too cool for me) I also saw quite a few rabbits.
Feet good Legs Good!
Run fun!!

Realized I needed to pick up my race packet today, but misread the information, so arrived 3 hours before scheduled time. SO, instead of driving 35-45 minutes back home, then back again in the evening, I went to the mall 10 minutes away and got some See's candy. They know me there.

Then, I went to the apple store and had a splendid time talking to a store rep for an hour about buying an iPhone 5, which lead to me finding out that he did his first triathlon last year, the same one I did and am doing. He is very interested in my pool and is going to look at it on my blog and let me know if he wants to come give it a try. He said I could write a blog post about it when he does. He's a swimmer, so it would be fun to get his take on it.

It was still early, but I decided to go back to the store for packet pick-up a bit early. It turns out they were all set up and I was about their 3rd customer. To top it all off, I got to meet and chat with the race director at his information table out front. He is a very nice gentleman, probably in his 70s and it made me feel better about the race just talking to him some about the course and logistics.

Thus, I made it home in time to process some green beans for the freezer while I nibbled on my candy. Okay, big nibbles.

Thought about swimming when I got home, but felt like it would stress me out if I did, so I guess that's it until Saturday. We do have a wedding to go to tomorrow night. I hope they understand that I can't stay late! Wake-up Saturday morning is 4:30 AM!

Wednesday afternoon
Lower body strength training – good pump, my first full lower body workout since returning to the every-other-day plan (which I’ve attached in case anyone’s interested).
I checked it...I admire your commitment, I must admit that I tried that a few years ago, and gave up fairly quickly..I much prefer just to go out and run....I can't do a sport that involves remaining stationary, so kudos to you (and everyone who does strength training)...I'll keep my beer belly ! :meh:

I checked it...I admire your commitment, I must admit that I tried that a few years ago, and gave up fairly quickly..I much prefer just to go out and run....I can't do a sport that involves remaining stationary, so kudos to you (and everyone who does strength training)...I'll keep my beer belly ! :meh:
Yeah, it can get boring sometimes, but a good lifter's pump is almost as good as a good runner's high. You gotta give yourself 6-12 months to get into it. It's not much fun at first, and it takes a while to learn good form and some of the basic training protocols.

But eventually, one way or another, you'll have to face up to the fact that aging involves loss of muscle mass (edit: and bone density) if you don't do some kind of resistance training. It starts fairly early, but really picks up around 50 years of age. Use it or lose it. Swimming is a good aerobic alternative to weights for maintaining upper body strength, but I'd recommend some kind of strength training for just about everyone. It doesn't have to be heavy duty, but research is finding more and more benefits, things like a boost to the immune system when the bones, which produce white blood cells, are stressed.

But eventually, one way or another, you'll have to face up to the fact that aging involves loss of muscle mass if you don't do some kind of resistance training. ... Swimming is a good aerobic alternative to weights for maintaining upper body strength, but I'd recommend some kind of strength training for just about everyone.
Muscle is nice and all, but it appears that neither running nor swimming are sufficient for bones. Bones are significantly harder to rebuild.

Muscle is nice and all, but it appears that neither running nor swimming are sufficient for bones. Bones are significantly harder to rebuild.
Always ready with the references Sid!

I hope it's clear that I'm in agreement here, or that you're agreeing with me--maybe I should have elaborated more on the benefits to bone health. Aerobic alternatives like swimming are good for upper body muscle, but some kind of strength/resistance (anaerobic) training is recommended for everyone, no matter what your aerobic activity. It's not just for body builders and power lifters. EVERYONE should do it, at least to some extent, 2-4 times per week. There's really only 6-10 basic exercises you need to do: deadlifts, bench press, squats, military press, some kind of row, some kind of pull up/down, some kind of sit-up, maybe power cleans and a few others. Everything else is frosting on the cake; if you're not that into it you can keep it simple.

I also like this quote from the first article: "Cosman recommends that sacrificing some speed for more body fat is a much better option than taking medication for most runners." I've never found the zero-bodyfat look appealing, for either men or women, and it's not healthy either. Six-pack abs on men or boys' butts on women appear slightly ridiculous to me. The body simply doesn't want to give up that last 5-10 percent of body fat, and only extreme, unhealthy dieting can give this result unless you're a workout machine.

Yesterday 30 minutes of water exercises including walking on my hands! :) Today, one hour of jogging with a new friend who walks as fast as I run -lol- followed by one hour of weightlifting, mostly upper body. I have been wearing my Brancas on my right foot and my Lunas on my left foot to give myself the approximate additional leg-lift for my right foot and I have felt great! I also started doing a couple exercises for keeping my hips rotated correctly and I feel really good! Now, if only the sun would stay away long enough for a long trail run!

2 mile barefoot run this morning, feet and legs felt good and everything feels good here afterwards. Feet are definitely getting stronger now that they're getting running stimulus, but I also definitely think the time I spent walking barefoot/minimalist before I stared running helped to get them ready for running some.

Had a couple of cars seem to do the is-that-guy-running-barefoot-slowdown while I was out there.

Yeah, I was and it felt great.

3.01 miles. Humidity was double what it normally is. Felt fine at first but after the first mile (8:36 btw) the humidity got me and I started not feeling good/right. I turned around shortly after that and ended up having to walk a couple times for a minute or so after that. Averaged 9:46 pace for the whole run. Looking forward to winter, my body just does not run well in the heat. I would have been able to keep running at a decent pace without any walking breaks but every time I hit a hill it felt like my thermostat would break and I would start to feel dizzy. Made the final mile really difficult.

Decided I needed to try a proper run in the Vivo trails I bought. Ran 2 miles over the common, which is much too stony for me barefoot, and it felt good, though I am aware my left leg is doing something slightly less good than the right. I think that is true b/f as well, though, it just showed more with the shoes. So assuming I don't wake up in pain tomorrow, I'm quite pleased with them.

5k run today barefoot, at the Ormeau Park run. It went great. I ran the first loop with my wife, which was great, then after that she wanted to run in her own. I think I talk too much, lol. But hey, had my Barefoot Running NI vest on and got a lot of comment, remarks and interest.
Great run. I really opened up, on the second half of the run and started passing people. I was feeling great. Tough surface to run on. Real worn path, but good. Finished in 26 mins. Bring on the next Parkrun. I'm gonna destroy that time! :)

27 mile hike/run in the Pine Valley Wilderness.

signalrange.jpg

This place is only 35 miles from my house and I have never hiked or ran there until today. Due to some recent posts here, I started out more minimal with my Unshoe Feathers. I would have preferred the Wokovas, but I have lost them. Made it 12 miles in those before switching to shoes. Not because of sole soreness, I just needed to go a little faster. I'm not kidding, fifteen minutes later I was tripping on rocks, kicked a root hard enough to draw blood, and started to feel a little knee ache. The trail started to get extremely technical, so I kept the shoes on. Some of the roughest conditions I have encountered and it put me way behind schedule. Wife is not happy. Incredible place. I had intended to bag a few peaks, but had to cut it short.

Week total = 52 miles in only 3 runs. Busy mid week with work, I was only able to to a BF 5 miler.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts