Mileage Reporting 32nd Week of 2013

22.5 miles total this week: 16.25 in VFFs and 6.25 barefoot. Not as good as last week, but still good. I only got to run, jog really, 4 times. Times were much slower than I like, but I was able to increase my barefoot running in relation to the VFF running. This morning, I was able to run (jog) 6 miles in 1 hour and 12 minutes. My long goal is to run 6 miles, or an hour 4-5 times a week while increasing the barefoot and decreasing the VFF running within that 6 miles. Tomorrow is a rest day then I'll start this again Monday. Loving this barefoot thing.

14km (8.7mi) City2Surf run today, I beat my expectations by running it under 1:15, so really happy. I will work on a report (with a few pictures). Wonderful weather (about 20C/68F at the finish line)
It is always so nice to meet expectations. It does help to set reasonable, incremental goals, too! Congrats -

22.5 miles total this week: 16.25 in VFFs and 6.25 barefoot. Not as good as last week, but still good. I only got to run, jog really, 4 times. Times were much slower than I like, but I was able to increase my barefoot running in relation to the VFF running. This morning, I was able to run (jog) 6 miles in 1 hour and 12 minutes. My long goal is to run 6 miles, or an hour 4-5 times a week while increasing the barefoot and decreasing the VFF running within that 6 miles. Tomorrow is a rest day then I'll start this again Monday. Loving this barefoot thing.
Nice work on the mileage - it is fun to get it into the double digits for the week. :)

2 mile barefoot run this morning, feet and legs felt good and everything feels good here afterwards. Feet are definitely getting stronger now that they're getting running stimulus, but I also definitely think the time I spent walking barefoot/minimalist before I stared running helped to get them ready for running some.

Had a couple of cars seem to do the is-that-guy-running-barefoot-slowdown while I was out there.

Yeah, I was and it felt great.
The slowing cars is still so humorous to me! It adds fun to the run.

Reactions: Darkand
2.5 mi run after migraine meds kicked in, then side effects wore off, then after lunch stayed down (think I had a mild case of food poisoning from last night),
sandals, afternoon, while the boy biked.
funny moment, rounding the first mile loop, I burped rather loudly, thinking I was alone (still being pushed around by ill fated italian sausage at the fair last night), when I saw a fellow who was bent over working in his yard across the street turn around and look at me mouth agape in horror. I said "excuse me?" and shrugged my shoulders, mumbling to myself that well, running, makes me burp, and hey, better than the alternative, and hey, at least I"m running and not sitting around in the yard, and hey.................................................................................

1hr15 min swim. evening. starting to get queasy again, but the swim made everything better, as usual.

Always ready with the references Sid!

I hope it's clear that I'm in agreement here, or that you're agreeing with me--maybe I should have elaborated more on the benefits to bone health. Aerobic alternatives like swimming are good for upper body muscle, but some kind of strength/resistance (anaerobic) training is recommended for everyone, no matter what your aerobic activity. It's not just for body builders and power lifters. EVERYONE should do it, at least to some extent, 2-4 times per week. There's really only 6-10 basic exercises you need to do: deadlifts, bench press, squats, military press, some kind of row, some kind of pull up/down, some kind of sit-up, maybe power cleans and a few others. Everything else is frosting on the cake; if you're not that into it you can keep it simple.

I also like this quote from the first article: "Cosman recommends that sacrificing some speed for more body fat is a much better option than taking medication for most runners." I've never found the zero-bodyfat look appealing, for either men or women, and it's not healthy either. Six-pack abs on men or boys' butts on women appear slightly ridiculous to me. The body simply doesn't want to give up that last 5-10 percent of body fat, and only extreme, unhealthy dieting can give this result unless you're a workout machine.

Lee, you are making me feel good about myself.
So Friday was just weights. I did it for my bones. No guilt.
Right now I'm eating ice cream, for the calcium, protein, and that extra body fat so that I can completely avoid the "slightly ridiculous"

Who could have guessed I'm just following guidelines for the best outcomes???? You! thnx ;)

Friday afternoon
Blew off afternoon mid-body strength-training in order to be 'nice' (à la Dama) to my wife on our ninth anniversary of weddedness. Then we went to Fogo de Chão for a southern Brazilian meat feast. There are twenty of these restaurants in the US, so if you live in a bigger city check and see if you have one if you love grilled meat. There are constantly circulating servers with 12-15 different cuts of meat -- when you're ready for some more, you just flip over a card and they stop at your table and cut off a slice. That and an above-budget bottle of Petit Syrah had us pleasantly stuffed.

Saturday morning.
11.58 mi / 18.64 km, running
10.01 mm pace
1.1 mi / 1.8 km, walking
64 F /18 C - perfect running temp!

Waking up after a fruitful evening of flesh-loading, I decided it was time to tackle a 12-mile route I'd been thinking about for several months, out to a suburban lake--Lake McCarrons--and then back through St. Paul, past Como Lake and on home. I put on an old album I recorded more than 15 years ago on an 8-track cassette recorder to help me get into a zone and not think about the run too much. The album runs 100 minutes--almost made it through the whole run--then a disjointed jam came on, one where the guitarist and I weren't really connecting but the drummer was doing all he could to make sense of it, kind of a James Blood Ulmer sound. I think I'm going to start listening to some down tempo crap on Pandora. I haven't run with music for a long time, but I think I run a bit better with it, at least once in a while. Still, it's a shame to miss the early morning sounds.

Anyway, around 6:30 am, after a quick coffee, banana, and glass of OJ, I set out at a nice aerobic pace. I thought about doing a slightly faster pace in order to prevent joint fatigue, but this was going to be my longest run ever, by a little less than a mile, so I thought it best to take it easy and make sure I made it all the way. I was prepared to stop and stretch, but I kind of surprised myself and just kept going. So although I only ended up besting my previous long run by less than half a mile, I ended up smashing my PR for longest continuous run by more than four miles.

Around 7-8 miles I was starting to slow down, but then my second wind kicked in, probably the point where I began burning fat reserves, or maybe just the point where all the meat from the night prior had finally been digested. So I kicked up the pace a bit a little bit before I got to Como Lake and joined the stream of morning runners/walkers there.

I had a big smile on my face. Man, I felt great, like I was returning to civilization after a little adventure. A guy pushing 60 ran past me at what musta been something like a 7mm pace. He had a long, lean, classic runner's build. Kind of humbling and inspiring at the same time. He had on huge sneakers, but landed with a nice forefoot strike right under his COG.

A short while later I thought to myself, "well, I didn't run the half marathon last week with Dutchie, maybe I'll add a mile to my planned route and run one now." So a bit after Como Lake I headed south for several blocks and took a different east-west street home instead of Como Avenue. I had to run over some mild chipseal for a bit, which kind of threw me off my entrenched cadence, but it probably helped keep my legs loose. I did some high butt kicks as well.

I was still doing fine, but then at around the 11-mile mark my outer quads started to feel a bit fatigued, and right around that point I lost my sidewalk and had to run through a trucking/train area full of debris and small chunks of glass. It was car window glass, so it didn't really bother me, but I decided to use that as an excuse and stopped a bit farther on and walked the last mile or so home. If it had been a real half-marathon, I would've continued, but I thought it best to obey my recent dictum to never run fatigued. And anyway, I was nearing two hours of continuous running, which I think is a good cut-off for me. I'm still not convinced that really prolonged running is good for you, especially for older runners, so it's probably best to max out around 90-120 minutes. If I ever run more than 12 miles or so, it'll probably be because my aerobic pace has come down. Or not.

So anyhow, a great run, and a real confidence booster; no signs of ITBS or anything like that. When I got home I hosed my legs with cold water, just like I saw one of the 60s New Zealand runners do in a short film about Arthur Lydiard. It felt very rejuvenating--I think there's something to that recovery technique.

Lee, you are making me feel good about myself.
So Friday was just weights. I did it for my bones. No guilt.
Right now I'm eating ice cream, for the calcium, protein, and that extra body fat so that I can completely avoid the "slightly ridiculous"

Who could have guessed I'm just following guidelines for the best outcomes???? You! thnx ;)
Glad to be of service! I think you were my original inspiration for early morning, longer runs, so I'm happy if I've helped inspire you to avoid slightly ridiculous frostinglessness.
mostly aerobic pace by feel.
:)
I also started doing a couple exercises for keeping my hips rotated correctly and I feel really good!
Sorry Jen, coming from you, it's hard not to misconstrue that.
I did a sprint triathlon today. Ran the 3.1 miles barefoot. LOTS of comments from other runners and spectators! It went well; first in my age group, sort of. Will report Tuesday.
Congrats. I kind of suspected you would do well . . . Look forward to the report!
but I also definitely think the time I spent walking barefoot/minimalist before I stared running helped to get them ready for running some.
I also walked for a couple months before running, I think it really helps. And congrats! Sounds like you're making great progress.

funny moment, rounding the first mile loop, I burped rather loudly, thinking I was alone (still being pushed around by ill fated italian sausage at the fair last night), when I saw a fellow who was bent over working in his yard across the street turn around and look at me mouth agape in horror. I said "excuse me?" and shrugged my shoulders, mumbling to myself that well, running, makes me burp, and hey, better than the alternative, and hey, at least I"m running and not sitting around in the yard, and hey.................................................................................
I burp a lot while running, too. Not with every run and not because I've eaten weird things. I'm not an adventurous eater, so my diet does not vary much and might be described as unexciting by some. But, somehow, the running releases the bubbles from the deep!

My hubby has asked me to not run for 2 weeks, to see if my knee can get fully recovered. It still feels better since the dancing. (is there a dancing smiley?) AND it does not feel like the triathlon stressed it out, so good news! I will be riding my bikes and swimming, though. It is going to be hard not to run, because I feel really good, even today the morning after the triathlon. I've never felt this good the day after a race. Guess I didn't over do it!

friday was my last morning in Mexico. i went for an early run and headed for a track i knew was nearby. the road and sidewalks suck there. they were doable but i just went to the track instead. luckily they had a dirt path outside the track that i ran around. passed a lot of walkers. i was passed by some young kid who was working way less than me with perfect form and nikes on. damn kids. i could hear my breathing over his.

saturday in phoenix. woke up at 5am ready to go hike early. brother didn't get up til 7 and we left after 9. it got hot fast and the dogs didn't want to walk in the heat so we cut it a bit short. had i known that i would've gone for my long run early. so i missed out on that this week and next saturday will be in socal. big difference in weather there.

i started the hike bf. it took 1/2 hour to do a mile. steep hill, lots of rocks. i can see why abide runs in shoes here. i put my lunas on and was moving much faster after that. while there is a lot of sand here there is a lot of rocks. it's a bit easier than gravel but after so much i had to turn off the braille and get moving. the temps rise quickly here.

friday was my last morning in Mexico. i went for an early run and headed for a track i knew was nearby. the road and sidewalks suck there. they were doable but i just went to the track instead. luckily they had a dirt path outside the track that i ran around. passed a lot of walkers. i was passed by some young kid who was working way less than me with perfect form and nikes on. damn kids. i could hear my breathing over his.

saturday in phoenix. woke up at 5am ready to go hike early. brother didn't get up til 7 and we left after 9. it got hot fast and the dogs didn't want to walk in the heat so we cut it a bit short. had i known that i would've gone for my long run early. so i missed out on that this week and next saturday will be in socal. big difference in weather there.

i started the hike bf. it took 1/2 hour to do a mile. steep hill, lots of rocks. i can see why abide runs in shoes here. i put my lunas on and was moving much faster after that. while there is a lot of sand here there is a lot of rocks. it's a bit easier than gravel but after so much i had to turn off the braille and get moving. the temps rise quickly here.

Lol, yep the land of heat, rocks, thorns and cacti needles isn't barefoot friendly. Where did you end up running?

my brother lives in the Awutukee, spelling?, area. we hiked on a ridge not too far from here which my sis-in-law says extends a long way with miles of trails on it. yeah, that should be clear right? so i'm sticking to neighborhood runs for the remainder of my stay since i don't have a car and don't want to borrow one to sit in traffic so i can go run. i like the company of dogs and if we don't go early they won't go at all. like i said fat boy, who used to love to run, didn't even want to go out the door with me.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS