Mileage Reporting 30th Week of 2013

5k run today in 32 minutes, just for our slave master (Dama). Wore a watch for the first time in about 6 weeks. Actually felt really good through entire run. It seems I stepped on a broken tee on golf course yesterday which cut the ball of my left foot. But it helped my run today as I had to land lightly to not aggravate this ouchie. :nurse: Must have worked because this was the best run since having injured this left foot. Now, the challenge will be to not do TMTS. :D

edit: Forgot to mention that this run should count for 2014 winter challenge as it was only +5 Celsius for this mornings run at 6 am.

Hahaha, that's what I am here for, right? So nice to see that your distance is building up keep it up!
Sorry about the ouchie, is it better now?

Scratch, feel free to ignore Dama at any time. She's our Janis-faced shit-giver/cheerleader.
But seriously, running without data can be a beautiful thing. Running with data can be too. It's all good. Whatever adds to the enjoyment of the run.

Sorry to hear about your illness party pooper:p I hope all is well now.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Garmin battery ran out around 13 miles but had a 9:30 m/m for the first 12 miles at a lower than normal heart-rate...estimating total was 23.5 miles about 3.5 hours give or take. This is my longest totally barefoot run ever and longest pavement run ever.

One bike rider called me an idiot when he rode by and he was the only bike rider I saw without a helmet!

Great run moka!!

Haha Dama slacking as always. Been around just not posting as much so yeah just slacking. Still running but mostly trails so no more barefoot runs...

Hi Abide. I hope you are having a great summer. Still thinking about the Grand Canyon this fall? My schedule is filling up fast. Any way you could come up to Zion? I would really like to give the Zion Trek a try. I'm also thinking about this race. http://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=19366

Saturday, I set out to run eight miles in sixty mins but I failed, the first four miles were right on target and the rest of the run was tough cause I was running against a very strong headwind.
Ran 7.5 miles in sixty-two mins. Maybe next time.

Great scenery Nick, I'm always a sucker for a good scenery shot.

What's the name of the waterfall? It looks very familiar to me for some reason, but I think the one I'm thinking of is in Canada, so I guess I'm barking up the wrong tree.
I'm not sure the name of that little waterfall. I think it started with an R, but I can't remember for sure. I had wanted to get down lower for a better shot of it, but I would have had a high possibility of falling and getting hurt so I just stayed up top.

Got a Garmin Swim watch. It's so awesome not to have to count laps anymore. 900m
I'm getting good enough with swimming that I started to check out what other people were doing in their lanes, while my face was underwater. Kind of nifty, like people watching while on an exercise machine, except underwater. One guy was trying to swim the whole length underwater on one breath!
if anyone in the UK wants a bright blue Poolmate swim watch, make me an offer - I discovered I am not the right sort of swimmer to use one. I hadn't realised how often I stop to fiddle with goggles/mp3 player/ swim cap etc! I got so tense about messing up the lap count it was easier just to keep count myself.

That's a bummer, I hope all is feeling better.
Thanks Dama, I feel a little better now and am bustin to get out for a run. Gonna be hard putting the feet up for a few days until I'm 100%. Especially in this weather. We've had thunder storms here and the air smells really clear. I love runnin in that!! Must...resist...urge...to...run!!

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Thanks Dama, I feel a little better now and am bustin to get out for a run. Gonna be hard putting the feet up for a few days until I'm 100%. Especially in this weather. We've had thunder storms here and the air smells really clear. I love runnin in that!! Must...resist...urge...to...run!!

I know how hard it's to restrain oneself but the way I see it is better to be out for a few days than a few weeks.
And I rather take the few days. We are having terrific running weather conditions here too and it feels really good to go out there and not melt:happy:
Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Great pace Dama! Especially over that distance!
Thanks!:embarrassed:

Reactions: Darkand
Saturday, I set out to run eight miles in sixty mins but I failed, the first four miles were right on target and the rest of the run was tough cause I was running against a very strong headwind.
Ran 7.5 miles in sixty-two mins. Maybe next time.
Ha! Your disappointment is my goal (to run an hour at 8mm pace).

BTW, still got body aches, but I'm trying to lick it without extra sleep. May have to give in tomorrow and sleep in. This is one strange bug.
The spouse and I just had something similar.
How long did it last for you Jen?

Ha! Your disappointment is my goal (to run an hour at 8mm pace).

BTW, still got body aches, but I'm trying to lick it without extra sleep. May have to give in tomorrow and sleep in. This is one strange bug.
How long did it last for you Jen?
You'll get there Lee it might just take a little of time but you'll get there.
Yea, take it easy and rest there is no need to subject your body with more stressors.
Sleep as much as you can:doctor:

You'll get there Lee it might just take a little of time but you'll get there.
Yea, take it easy and rest there is no need to subject your body with more stressors.
Sleep as much as you can:doctor:
Thanks, I'm projecting about another year or so. I need to lose another minute per mile. Then anything after that will be bonus points. I've lost more than a minute over the last six months of injury-free running, but progress tends to be nonlinear, right? So about another year sounds right.

After five days without running, it feels like it's been a month. I feel like sh!t without exercise, but I'm doing my best not to use up any extra energy. I may go in and have my blood checked tomorrow. My mild sore throat is about gone, and I've had dormant malaria before, so these persistent body aches could be the onset. Probably just a weird strain of mild flu though. I wonder if I had gone for my run last Wednesday morning if all this could've been avoided . . . it already feels strange to wake up and get straight to work without a run first.

Thanks, I'm projecting about another year or so. I need to lose another minute per mile. Then anything after that will be bonus points. I've lost more than a minute over the last six months of injury-free running, but progress tends to be nonlinear, right? So about another year sounds right.

After five days without running, it feels like it's been a month. I feel like sh!t without exercise, but I'm doing my best not to use up any extra energy. I may go in and have my blood checked tomorrow. My mild sore throat is about gone, and I've had dormant malaria before, so these persistent body aches could be the onset. Probably just a weird strain of mild flu though. I wonder if I had gone for my run last Wednesday morning if all this could've been avoided . . . it already feels strange to wake up and get straight to work without a run first.

A year sounds about right provided that you're running consistently and without injuries but you'll know all about that.
Your illness sounds serious and you should go to the Dr asap considering your symptoms and what you know about malaria better be safe than sorry.
I hope is nothing too serious and just a bad case of the flu.
Good luck my friend.

A year sounds about right provided that you're running consistently and without injuries but you'll know all about that.
Yah, I'm convinced it will happen now, just a matter of time and being patient, mixing up the run types and not overdoing it. I think adding a few days a week will help accelerate the process once I experiment a bit more and get a good feel for how to do it.
Your illness sounds serious and you should go to the Dr asap considering your symptoms and what you know about malaria better be safe than sorry.
I hope is nothing too serious and just a bad case of the flu.
Good luck my friend.
Thanks, the one time I had dormant malaria, it was probably a strain I picked up in southern Egypt, and came on in 48-hour cycles. This bug is more constant and feels more like the malaria in Mozambique, but as far as I know, the strains there aren't known to be dormant. I'll try extra sleep before I jump to conclusions, but a blood check wouldn't hurt, you're right. The funny thing is I know a good run would help me sweat it out and sleep well, but since I don't know what it is, I'm not risking it. If it were a head cold without a fever, I would definitely go for a run.

Hi Abide. I hope you are having a great summer. Still thinking about the Grand Canyon this fall? My schedule is filling up fast. Any way you could come up to Zion? I would really like to give the Zion Trek a try. I'm also thinking about this race. http://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=19366

Hey Rick Sarah's doing another r2r2r on Oct 6th they have a decent group going I think you should join them. We have been talking about Zion this fall maybe later October or I'll meet you up there Friday!

I'll take it for now;) are you hurting?

No...I think the class sheared all of the nerve endings out of my midsection...which is good and bad...now I have to keep checking to make sure I haven't been stabbed or shot in the midsection...

Thanks, the one time I had dormant malaria, it was probably a strain I picked up in southern Egypt, and came on in 48-hour cycles. This bug is more constant and feels more like the malaria in Mozambique, but as far as I know, the strains there aren't known to be dormant. I'll try extra sleep before I jump to conclusions, but a blood check wouldn't hurt, you're right. The funny thing is I know a good run would help me sweat it out and sleep well, but since I don't know what it is, I'm not risking it. If it were a head cold without a fever, I would definitely go for a run.
How are you feeling today? I hope much better than the last few days.

How are you feeling today? I hope much better than the last few days.
Thanks for asking Sis!

Yah, my appetite came back with a vengeance last night, I finished off a bunch of pork ribs and managed to sleep nine hours. Made a big difference. Today I'm off the Tylenol and no body aches, but still a bit tired, weak, and foggy. I should probably take a nap but I'm afraid it will provoke insomnia later, so I'll try an early bedtime again tonight. I rode my bike to work and will do a lite st session later, so hopefully that will help me sleep well again, then a short run tomorrow morning to see where I'm at. I can't wait to get back to my early morning running routine, especially now when early morning temps are perfect for running. I had a dream last night about running unusually fast.

So, I should be up to full speed by the weekend, but I've gone long enough without running now (six days!) that I have to be wary of underuse injuries, so this week I'll just be easing back into things. That may be the positive takeaway from this unintended rest. I think I have a good plan of attack now on how to sustain the more frequent running, and will be able to proceed a bit more gradually now that I'm starting up again anyway. For the remainder of this week I'll just do easy, short runs, and then next week start converting 3-4 of them into quality runs.

Anyway, sorry about all the malaria talk yesterday, but I was getting frustrated not knowing what was going on. I think it's just a mild, but peculiar virus after all.