Mileage Reporting 28th Week of 2013

Hahaha Lee! Well, let's just say your my guinea squirrel... ;) Just kidding. I was really noticing some big improvements fast by running 5 days successively a week. My legs were feeling pretty beat up by the end of the week which makes me think that maybe it's something I only do for 2-3 weeks at a time only, and then I will switch up to the 3 days a week running.

(paragraph insert just for mike's reading pleasure)

The reason why I worry about total mileage is it seems if I go over a certain limit I seem to end up hurt. So far by staying right at 18 miles a week or under I am doing fantastic and so I don't want to mess with that. Tomorrow I will do 4-5.5 miles of hills and will end with 16.5 to 18 miles for the week. I also don't want my weekly mileage to drop significantly and me to lose whatever I may have just built up, so that's also why I want to make sure I bump the length of these 3 runs up just a touch.
[^ full, unnecessary quote for Mike's reading displeasure]

Yah, we'll see how it goes. Any one of the 'recovery' runs I got scheduled is voidable at the least sign of trouble or fatigue. I also like the new, shorter, daily st sessions. If I miss one, it's easy to make up the following day by combining it with the next, and I don't feel such a burden to get through the whole thing. Yesterday it was great looking at my list and seeing just 6-7 different exercises to get through.

I think most trainers say that weekly mileage is something worth keeping track of, and the 10% rule is for mpw, right? They're probably right, it's just not something I think about when deciding how far to run on any particular day, although I have had the goal of getting up in the 25-30 mpw range for some time now. I think I'm getting close.

I'm also really bad about sticking to my three-kinds-of-runs-per-week formula, and I'll probably get worse now that I'm running first thing in the morning, because I don't really see myself doing hills or intervals or even a tempo run when it's dark out. Maybe after I've adapted a bit more . . . right now I'm running pretty slow, but somehow it doesn't feel plodding like before. Maybe because with almost no one around, I get into that deep running zone even better on the early morning runs. The form feels pretty effortless these days.

Could I just say that I'm with Jen on the capital letters thing, too? It makes reading easier...:)
At least Mike's syntax has improved somewhat since he's gone back to school.
Maybe doing the bike 2 days a week works better for working out the kinks than running a short run...

Oh and I agree Nick, it seems like my recent cycling is helping my legs stay loose for running too.

The speed may also not bother you as much because it's still dark out when your running so you can't see just how slow your going.

Yah, we'll see how it goes. Any one of the 'recovery' runs I got scheduled is voidable at the least sign of trouble or fatigue. I also like the new, shorter, daily st sessions. If I miss one, it's easy to make up the following day by combining it with the next, and I don't feel such a burden to get through the whole thing. Yesterday it was great looking at my list and seeing just 6-7 different exercises to get through.

I think most trainers say that weekly mileage is something worth keeping track of, and the 10% rule is for mpw, right? They're probably right, it's just not something I think about when deciding how far to run on any particular day, although I have had the goal of getting up in the 25-30 mpw range for some time now. I think I'm getting close.

I'm also really bad about sticking to my three-kinds-of-runs-per-week formula, and I'll probably get worse now that I'm running first thing in the morning, because I don't really see myself doing hills or intervals or even a tempo run when it's dark out. Maybe after I've adapted a bit more . . . right now I'm running pretty slow, but somehow it doesn't feel plodding like before. Maybe because with almost no one around, I get into that deep running zone even better on the early morning runs. The form feels pretty effortless these days.
Just to mess some more with Mikes reading I thought it might be fun to put the quote in the middle.

I think that 10% rule is for the week, but I think of that guideline as exactly that, just a guideline. Each person is different and some can push that 10% rule a little bit and some might not be able to follow that rule. I think I am a build up slowly guy ONCE I reach a certain point (where I'm at right now). Seems the mileage I'm at right now is the mileage where I am safe, but if I go over I tend to get hurt. I have been at this mileage for 5 weeks now and I really have no intention of increasing it again anytime soon. Maybe eventually, but I am comfortable at this distance and it doesn't feel like I am pushing it too much. Besides, I am also working on pace and until I can bring my pace and that is more important to me right now than distance.

My new "Full-Swivel Locking T-Bar Row Platform" didn't work that well for the landmines. At the top of the movement the swivel glitches a bit. So I ended up just doing one side for a bunch of reps, and then the other. Now I'm wondering if I should return it.
Seems like you got a dud. Amazon has free return shipping, so why not exchange or return it? Otherwise, you're missing out on the "Full 360 swivel-ability makes it a dream come true in tight workout quarters" and the "lifetime of heavy-duty back-blasting workouts". That's a lot to miss out on.

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
wednesday:
swim, maybe an hour, or a bit less
hike to beach, play in big waves, hike back to car. dunno. a few blissful miles. leg workout just trying not to get pushed over by the waves. fun fun fun and the water wasn't too cold.

thursday:
am swim, 1hr 10min
lunch gym, ~40 min, a smattering of everything and an abundance of nothing

ran out of time earlier to type more. i haven't gotten better syntax, just more time to type. :cool:

today didn't feel like running but i did anyhow. 5min intervals at high hr. only 2 with some sprints to finish. i felt great afterwards and still feel pretty good after working.

NickW said:
Hahaha Lee! Well, let's just say your my guinea squirrel... ;) Just kidding. I was really noticing some big improvements fast by running 5 days successively a week. My legs were feeling pretty beat up by the end of the week which makes me think that maybe it's something I only do for 2-3 weeks at a time only, and then I will switch up to the 3 days a week running.

(paragraph insert just for mike's reading pleasure)

The reason why I worry about total mileage is it seems if I go over a certain limit I seem to end up hurt. So far by staying right at 18 miles a week or under I am doing fantastic and so I don't want to mess with that. Tomorrow I will do 4-5.5 miles of hills and will end with 16.5 to 18 miles for the week. I also don't want my weekly mileage to drop significantly and me to lose whatever I may have just built up, so that's also why I want to make sure I bump the length of these 3 runs up just a touch.​

I'm also really bad about sticking to my three-kinds-of-runs-per-week formula, and I'll probably get worse now that I'm running first thing in the morning, because I don't really see myself doing hills or intervals or even a tempo run when it's dark out. Maybe after I've adapted a bit more . . . right now I'm running pretty slow, but somehow it doesn't feel plodding like before. Maybe because with almost no one around, I get into that deep running zone even better on the early morning runs. The form feels pretty effortless these days.​

is this right?
The speed may also not bother you as much because it's still dark out when your running so you can't see just how slow your going.
Bare Lee said:

I'm also really bad about sticking to my three-kinds-of-runs-per-week formula, and I'll probably get worse now that I'm running first thing in the morning, because I don't really see myself doing hills or intervals or even a tempo run when it's dark out. Maybe after I've adapted a bit more . . . right now I'm running pretty slow, but somehow it doesn't feel plodding like before. Maybe because with almost no one around, I get into that deep running zone even better on the early morning runs. The form feels pretty effortless these days.​
Just to mess some more with Mikes reading I thought it might be fun to put the quote in the middle.

I think that 10% rule is for the week, but I think of that guideline as exactly that, just a guideline. Each person is different and some can push that 10% rule a little bit and some might not be able to follow that rule. I think I am a build up slowly guy ONCE I reach a certain point (where I'm at right now). Seems the mileage I'm at right now is the mileage where I am safe, but if I go over I tend to get hurt. I have been at this mileage for 5 weeks now and I really have no intention of increasing it again anytime soon. Maybe eventually, but I am comfortable at this distance and it doesn't feel like I am pushing it too much. Besides, I am also working on pace and until I can bring my pace and that is more important to me right now than distance.

Thursday afternoon
Upper-Body II ST workout--Shoulders & Traps:

Military Press, Dumbbell Press, Shoulder Raise--front, Triceps Extension, Cuban Press, Shoulder Raise--side, Shoulder Swings, Rope Pull-down, Face Pull, Overhead Back Extension, Clubbell Mills, Leg lifts and Bicycle Sit-ups. Left off the neck flexion & extension as I was running out of time, having got a late start because I was monkeying with my swivel (v. infra).

The daily st is interesting. I'm constantly a little sore, but it doesn't feel like overload yet, and to-morrow I have my rest day, so I should be OK. I'm also liking the rhythm of running in the morning and strength-training in the afternoon. The double boost seems to keep my post-workout metabolism chugging along at a higher level for longer. And it's really great just doing weights for about 30-40 minutes instead of an hour or more. The whole thing moves along a nice brisk pace and I stay focused throughout. The pumps are more medium grade, but spread out more evenly throughout the week, so I'm probably getting more benefit this way.

Friday morning
Slept in until 6:30, no run, but bicycle commute. Will try a run before my st workout later this aft.
Seems like you got a dud. Amazon has free return shipping, so why not exchange or return it? Otherwise, you're missing out on the "Full 360 swivel-ability makes it a dream come true in tight workout quarters" and the "lifetime of heavy-duty back-blasting workouts". That's a lot to miss out on.
Yes, my dreams of full 360 swivel-ability in tight workout quarters appeared to be dashed, although a lifetime of heavy-duty back-blasting was still within reach, as the rows don't require Full 360-swivel-ability. I had the return labels all printed out, ready to say good-bye to my latest gear-whore tryst, sad that it would never develop into a full-fledged affair, and somewhat ashamed that I would have to revert to the peevishly pedestrian use of a corner for my beloved landmines. Then, after seeing that any other platform for landmines costs considerably more, and don't seem to work with a standard (as opposed to Olympic) bar, I had a look at the customer reviews to see if anyone else had this problem. One guy recommended tightening the bolt that attaches the U-Joint to the base. So I tried that. That made it worse, so I tried loosening it. That seems to do the trick. You have to disassemble the U-joint each time you adjust the bolt, so I didn't monkey with it enough to get it just right, as I was running out of time and didn't want to sacrifice any more of my upper-body workout to figuring this out, but I think this is going to work now. So the promise of a lifetime of lift-time swivel dreams coming true is still alive.

aw, you guys love me. you really really love me!

It's true.

Sometimes I feel like us regular contributors at BRS are cast members in a fringe barefoot runners sit-com; we seem to have the standard spread of personality types featured in those kinds of programs. All we need now is a laugh track instead of 'like' buttons.

Well folks, got up early and ran with the Grand Island Road Runners club at 5:45am not for more ladders training but for a distance run. There were 5 of us total. They decided to run 7 miles and I went barefoot. They were ok with me running barefoot I think. I thought we were going to run one of my usual routes but instead went in a different trail which I have ran in the past and would usually see a lot of broken glass. Normally I don't take this route just because of the amount of glass on the trail. I was not carrying any shoes with me and did not want to say hey I'm turning around so I kept on running with them but stayed back so I could scan for glass as it was fairly dark yet. I did see some glass but didn't step on any. We then turned around and looped back toward the trail route I usually take.

Had a great time with our group run. Our pace was slightly slower than I would have liked to run but it was a nice change. Nice people to run with also. One of the runners I found out later was a foot doctor. I bet he didn't approve of my barefoot running and thought I was crazy. :) You never know though.

We ended up running 7.2 miles which is the furthest I have run barefoot! Legs felt great afterwards too! Road my mountain bike 6 miles after the run.

Oh! The B-17 ride was amazing. It was great to see what it was like to actually fly on one of these old WWII bombers. If given the opportunity to do it again I would. Would like get a ride in the B-24 Liberator sometime. They let us walk around to the different gunner positions while in flight and stand behind the pilots and watch them fly the plane. If your interested in vintage/WWII aircraft I highly recommend taking one of these flights. Its well worth it!

Oh yeah forgot to mention no run yesterday was working to late in the evening to fit a run in.

Yes, my dreams of full 360 swivel-ability in tight workout quarters appeared to be dashed, although a lifetime of heavy-duty back-blasting was still within reach, as the rows don't require Full 360-swivel-ability. I had the return labels all printed out, ready to say good-bye to my latest gear-whore tryst, sad that it would never develop into a full-fledged affair, and somewhat ashamed that I would have to revert to the peevishly pedestrian use of a corner for my beloved landmines. Then, after seeing that any other platform for landmines costs considerably more, and don't seem to work with a standard (as opposed to Olympic) bar, I had a look at the customer reviews to see if anyone else had this problem. One guy recommended tightening the bolt that attaches the U-Joint to the base. So I tried that. That made it worse, so I tried loosening it. That seems to do the trick. You have to disassemble the U-joint each time you adjust the bolt, so I didn't monkey with it enough to get it just right, as I was running out of time and didn't want to sacrifice any more of my upper-body workout to figuring this out, but I think this is going to work now. So the promise of a lifetime of lift-time swivel dreams coming true is still alive.
I seem to have problems quite frequently myself when I purchase stuff and then my hopes are dashed, and then after I monkey around and mess with the stuff, alter it I mean, I can sometimes make them work. I'm having a real hard time right now with my new luna mono's. After talking with Dylan at luna it is common that some people get blisters at first due to the extra grippy footbed and it takes a few runs for that to stop. I've only got about another week and a half or so to decide if it will work for me or if I need to send them back for a sandal with a leather footbed (they no longer do naked top in any sandal dang it!). I can make do with the one sandal twisting on my foot a bit, but I've never gotten a blister from a sandal before, not the sole anyhow. I've gotten blisters from the laces, like when the hemp laces tightened up really bad after getting wet, but never from the soles. I still think the luna pacer sole is my favorite sole...

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test