Mileage Reporting 20th Week of 2013

Grand Canyon hike and run Friday evening and through the night. South Rim to North Rim and back. Roughly 44 miles with 1.5 back to the campground. Roughly 21,000 elevation change. .4 barefoot miles and 10 sandal miles. Sorry to leave you hanging, I'll try to report on the trip soon.

Once again it was great meeting BRS members in person. Ahcuah, Abide, and Buzzgal.

That's it, right? Let the moment decide.

Great to hear you're back in the game little speedy one!

I really belive that the best runs are when you just let lose and let your body dictate the run and not force anything...but that's just me other people like to push themselves I on the other hand is all about having fun:smuggrin:

Thanks, it's good to be on the road again:happy:

I really belive that the best runs are when you just let lose and let your body dictate the run and not force anything...but that's just me other people like to push themselves I on the other hand is all about having fun:smuggrin:

Thanks, it's good to be on the road again:happy:
Yah, if I can ever motivate to run first thing in the morning, I'll really be able to let the run dictate terms. Right now I tend to run with a certain time frame in mind. So even if I'm feeling it on a weekday run and want to keep going, I still have to stop, because it's time to pick up the kids. Or on the weekends, even if I'm not feeling it, I still have to keep going, because it's my only chance at a long run.

Anyway, things are going well in general, so I can't complain too much . . .

Yah, if I can ever motivate to run first thing in the morning, I'll really be able to let the run dictate terms. Right now I tend to run with a certain time in mind. So even if I'm feeling it on a weekday run and want to keep going, I still have to stop, because it's time to pick up the kids. Or on the weekends, even if I'm not feeling it, I still have to keep going, because it's my only chance at a long run. Anyway, things are going well in general, so I can't complain too much . . .

Yeah, I heard you, once your little ones grow up then you'll have more time but its going to be a long time before that happens.;)
That's right, can't complain since thing are going well healthwise and you don't wanted any other way better to have time constrictions than injuries that's for sure, so lets count our blessings, don't you think?

Reactions: Bare Lee
Got in a long run yesterday. Was debating just how long to do... I had been up to 12mi prior to my 1/2 two weekends ago, then tapered for the half, and also maxed out at 8mi since. Was going to do 12, but since my speedwork on thursday was 9 it didnt seem like much of a long run, so I decided to push things a bit and did 14. Its a convenient number since from where I normally start on my rail-trail its 7miles paved until gravel, so 14mi out and back. To add some mileage later I can go back all the way to the start - another half mile or so (1 mile out and back the other way). but I the spot I usually start from has better parking and more convenient.

After my usual warmup, I settled in for around 9mm - wanted to run at a comfortable long run pace since my last few runs have been a bit intense. I wanted to make 8:30 my baseline pace for long runs, but wanted to make this one a bit more forgiving for a couple reasons. I didnt pay much attention to my Garmin but I bounced around 8:45-9:20 ish. But even the easy pace was grueling towards the end. I felt like I did at my 1/2, burning out early oh around mile 10 or so. Not as extreme as the race, but I was exhausted (to the point I was debating stopping fro a walk) and had some soreness and strain here and there, my calves like always, but a few new ones. My lower back was really sore. This is practically a chronic condition for me - especially with long runs, but surprisingly wasnt an issue at all with my recent half. Maybe my posture is worse with the slower paces. Also the top of my right foot started feeling sore, not nearly as bad as beginners TOFP, but was concerning. I backed the pace down, around 10mm the last couple miles until I hit the cooldown period. I made sure to do a really good cooldown, including walking a bit extra. Overall I did 14mi, 1.85 for both warmup & cooldown and 10.3 for the main part. I think I was averaging around 9mm for most of it, but due to the last couple miles slowing down my average was 9:26.

Its possible I wasnt fully recovered from my brutal session on Thursday, though I gave myself an extra day. Also my diet hadnt been good since that session, and before heading out I noticed I was 5# heavier than a few days ago, which is a pretty big swing for me.

That was my longest run so far this year, and I think within a mile of my longest ever. Hopefully by the end of May I'll hit 15+ and break my longest ever run. If I do a long run next weekend, depending on how I feel, I may not try to increase the mileage just yet though.

So for totals this past week, 5/14 (8mi), 5/16 (9mi), and 5/19 (14mi) for a total of 31mi. Yay I broke 30! 70.2mi for the month so far.

Got in a long run yesterday. Was debating just how long to do... I had been up to 12mi prior to my 1/2 two weekends ago, then tapered for the half, and also maxed out at 8mi since. Was going to do 12, but since my speedwork on thursday was 9 it didnt seem like much of a long run, so I decided to push things a bit and did 14. Its a convenient number since from where I normally start on my rail-trail its 7miles paved until gravel, so 14mi out and back. To add some mileage later I can go back all the way to the start - another half mile or so (1 mile out and back the other way). but I the spot I usually start from has better parking and more convenient.

After my usual warmup, I settled in for around 9mm - wanted to run at a comfortable long run pace since my last few runs have been a bit intense. I wanted to make 8:30 my baseline pace for long runs, but wanted to make this one a bit more forgiving for a couple reasons. I didnt pay much attention to my Garmin but I bounced around 8:45-9:20 ish. But even the easy pace was grueling towards the end. I felt like I did at my 1/2, burning out early oh around mile 10 or so. Not as extreme as the race, but I was exhausted (to the point I was debating stopping fro a walk) and had some soreness and strain here and there, my calves like always, but a few new ones. My lower back was really sore. This is practically a chronic condition for me - especially with long runs, but surprisingly wasnt an issue at all with my recent half. Maybe my posture is worse with the slower paces. Also the top of my right foot started feeling sore, not nearly as bad as beginners TOFP, but was concerning. I backed the pace down, around 10mm the last couple miles until I hit the cooldown period. I made sure to do a really good cooldown, including walking a bit extra. Overall I did 14mi, 1.85 for both warmup & cooldown and 10.3 for the main part. I think I was averaging around 9mm for most of it, but due to the last couple miles slowing down my average was 9:26.

Its possible I wasnt fully recovered from my brutal session on Thursday, though I gave myself an extra day. Also my diet hadnt been good since that session, and before heading out I noticed I was 5# heavier than a few days ago, which is a pretty big swing for me.

That was my longest run so far this year, and I think within a mile of my longest ever. Hopefully by the end of May I'll hit 15+ and break my longest ever run. If I do a long run next weekend, depending on how I feel, I may not try to increase the mileage just yet though.

So for totals this past week, 5/14 (8mi), 5/16 (9mi), and 5/19 (14mi) for a total of 31mi. Yay I broke 30! 70.2mi for the month so far.

You're doing great Tristan, be careful though and don't push it too much let yor body recover from the race before you add more distance...just sayin'. Oh wait, you're young..er go on. Seriously, take it easy.

i eat fairly good. could add more veggies but what person couldn't? stress. gotta be.

did a maf test yesterday and i hit a plateau. i either need to take it easy or do some anaerobic. i'll try diet and anaerobic first with a test every two weeks to make sure i progress and don't regress.

Agreed!

Reactions: Barefoot Dama

Have you been getting good quality sleep and enough of it? I find that my muscles start to get stiff and sore if I don't get enough good quality sleep.

i eat fairly good. could add more veggies but what person couldn't? stress. gotta be.

did a maf test yesterday and i hit a plateau. i either need to take it easy or do some anaerobic. i'll try diet and anaerobic first with a test every two weeks to make sure i progress and don't regress.

Que desayunaste?

No run Sunday but really wanted to run that evening but severe storms rolling through the area prevented my planned run. Monday did some yard work and it would have been a late run so I decided it was a no go on Monday night. This morning I decided to give it a whirl before work. Got up at 4:30am was running by 4:45 woke up by 4:50 and realized I left my legs at home. (Ok it felt like I left my legs in bed as I had trouble convencing my body that running is fun this early in the morning.) Ran 1.1 miles in my neighborhood then the mother nature suggested I head home right away if you know what I mean. ;) After work I ran 3.5 miles on the local bike trail for a total of 4.6 miles today. Did some fartleks the last half mile which were kinda fun. It seems as though the faster I run the smoother and more efficient my legs seem to operate. I clearly need to build up some distance at these faster speeds. Won't be easy though. The early morning run before work just doesnt work for me. Plan to continue running after work except for the weekends when I can run first thing in the morning and don't have to be to work by 6:30am.

No run Sunday but really wanted to run that evening but severe storms rolling through the area prevented my planned run. Monday did some yard work and it would have been a late run so I decided it was a no go on Monday night. This morning I decided to give it a whirl before work. Got up at 4:30am was running by 4:45 woke up by 4:50 and realized I left my legs at home. (Ok it felt like I left my legs in bed as I had trouble convencing my body that running is fun this early in the morning.) Ran 1.1 miles in my neighborhood then the mother nature suggested I head home right away if you know what I mean. ;) After work I ran 3.5 miles on the local bike trail for a total of 4.6 miles today. Did some fartleks the last half mile which were kinda fun. It seems as though the faster I run the smoother and more efficient my legs seem to operate. I clearly need to build up some distance at these faster speeds. Won't be easy though. The early morning run before work just doesnt work for me. Plan to continue running after work except for the weekends when I can run first thing in the morning and don't have to be to work by 6:30am.

Yeah we are on the same boat here. I have ran to work on the mornings but it's tough for me I guess if I am more consitent my body will adapt but like you say mother natrue keeps me from doing it more often;)

Ok it felt like I left my legs in bed as I had trouble convencing my body that running is fun this early in the morning.
Tru dat. And then I get really drowsy after lunch. If I run at the end of the afternoon though, then I'm primed for sound sleep at bedtime.
It seems as though the faster I run the smoother and more efficient my legs seem to operate.
Yep. I've never understood the distance first, pace second approach. It seems to me one should first run a short distance at a decent pace, get a feel for good form, and then build from there.
Plan to continue running after work except for the weekends when I can run first thing in the morning and don't have to be to work by 6:30am.
My plan too, just can't seem to motivate weekend mornings either . . .

Yeah we are on the same boat here. I have ran to work on the mornings but it's tough for me I guess if I am more consitent my body will adapt but like you say mother natrue keeps me from doing it more often;)

Wish I could run to work or at least run before going to work. The only way that could happen is to change my working hours to start work at 8:00am instead of 6:30am. Who knows though mother nature would probably prevent that from working out and it doesn't sound like fun to have to carry diapers while running. :) I definately don't have the motivation to run if it's too early in the morning. Thought about riding my bicycle to work but the roads have no shoulder. Decided that wouldn't be safe!

Tru dat. And then I get really drowsy after lunch. If I run at the end of the afternoon though, then I'm primed for sound sleep at bedtime.

Yep. I've never understood the distance first, pace second approach. It seems to me one should first run a short distance at a decent pace, get a feel for good form, and then build from there.
My plan too, just can't seem to motivate weekend mornings either . . .

I agree with the good nights sleep after an evening run. Bet I'm asleep within a minute of crawling into bed. Don't hear anything at night either except the alarm clock in the morning.

Ran only 2 miles tonight. Decided to push my speed a bit and ended up with tight muscles in my legs so I then walked the last mile back to the car as I was planning on running 5 miles or so tomorrow. Not sure why the muscles were tight. Could be from starting out with my legs feeling cold as the temps have been cooler or maybe I ran too fast from the start when I should have warmed up first. Not sure what happend.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test