Mileage Reporting 18th Week 2013

late morning: dunno, uh 12 mile bike ride? something like that. pretty country. saw lambs, calves, chickens, and the rest.

midday: chores, hair redo for daughter, summer haircut for son, clean up a bit

afternoon: in the pool 1hr 45 min, lots of breaks again, though, sharing the lane with both my kids for about the first 40 minutes, my older child taught herself to incorporate flip turns into her laps! disco! I did several laps, some of which with flip turns, but I still need the nose clips. my girl figured it out without the clips already.

evening: picknick then shooting baskets (the kids latest "thing" and I'm learning too), had a neighborhood kid come by and share the basket with us; he kept giving me the ball. I believe it fascinated him to see this middle aged lady in a skirt trying to shoot baskets (not all that successfully mind you, but hey, i'm learning late in life)

ice cream parlor closed so we went for a mile or so hike at a local nature preserve; kids waded in a stream trying to catch minnows with their hands.

found another ice cream parlor. they had mediocre ice cream, which we all concluded was superior to no ice cream.

bed. one sunny nice afternoon/evening done.

Well I didn't make it to an official IBRD event. The nearest event would have been Witchita, KS which is a bit of a drive from here. Did go on a relaxed paced 4.5 mile run though. At the half way point I decided to walk in some of the mud from the last rain storm under the bridge where I turn around and head back to complete my loop. Best foot massage a person can get I think and the cost is reasonable! Then finished the loop and rinsed my feet at the park where I began my run. It turned out to be a nice evening. Had no tightness in my leg muscles during or after the run that was great! Did yard work today and planted some "backup" garlic plants in the garden. Should have planted them last October but these were just some extra cloves I couldn't see throwing out.

Sunday afternoon, qua end of week.
8.92 mi / 14.36 km total
8.57 mi / 13.79 km running
66 F / 19 C

Really didn't feel like running, but it was IBRD, and I had already missed two weekend long runs in a row. So I ran down to the river, crossed over Franklin Bridge to the West Bank, and then ran up to the historic Stone Arch Bridge. The bridge is an old railroad bridge that has been converted into a pedestrian walkway / bike path. It connects old flour mills that have been converted into galleries, restaurants, and whatnot, on the West Bank, to, on the East Bank, an old warehouse district that has been converted into shops, bars, restaurants, and a movie theater. Lots of people out enjoying the long-overdue, sunny spring temps. On the bridge you get a great view of the Mississippi River's raging water coming over the spillway. Next time I'll have to bring a camera with me. When I was a teenager this area was really run down, kinda spooky even, and so of course was a great spot for nefarious deeds. Urban renewal put an end to that.

After the bridge, I hit the decaying-asphalt-to-gravel road running along the old railroad. That was a mistake. I should've cut up to University Avenue. My feet were already feeling pretty sensitive from all the tiny debris and mild chipseal sections I had encountered up to that point. I don't think the soles had yet recovered from last Tuesday's tempo run on the sandy gravel hs track. Today my soles are quite tingly. But I guess it was fitting to have chosen a route with lots of different surface types for my IBRD run, in honor of the barefoot gods and their patron saint, Cardinal Ken Bob.

After the gravel, the last miles came hard, as my soles rebelled and my pace slowed. I switched my MP3 player from field recordings to an old jam for a little energy boost. Once I got back to my neighborhood, I walked the last third of a mile home. Still, I was pleased I could run fatigued without issue. My legs were stiffening, but never passed over to strain. And a nice cold Ruthless Rye IPA was waiting for me, along with my beautiful family, and that made it all worthwhile. Another minor urban adventure in the bag.

Then we had a very nice dinner out on the deck, in wonderful spring weather, followed up by our first firepit fire of the season. Our toddler got endless joy from throwing bits of wood into the fire.

It seems like I lost some conditioning after skipping two weekend long runs, and only registering one run over six miles in three weeks. My legs had felt heavy throughout the run, and today my left MCL is a bit sore, perhaps from running so long at a slower pace. Or perhaps my form got off when the soles become ouchy. It probably didn't help that I did zero stretching or massaging after my taxing hills run on Thursday. Hopefully the next weekend long run goes a bit better. I'll chose a less challenging route and just focus on completing the distance at a somewhat faster pace. I may even run shod and/or avoid abrasive track work this week so that I can run a bit faster. I hate the feeling of regressing, and yesterday's 10:20mm overall pace didn't feel fun. It felt like a slog. My short term goal is to be able to sustain roughly 9:30 mm pace on aerobic runs, and 8:30 pace on threshold runs.

Anyway, Happy IBRD all you BFR freaks! Long may you run.

Well I didn't make it to an official IBRD event. The nearest event would have been Witchita, KS which is a bit of a drive from here. Did go on a relaxed paced 4.5 mile run though. At the half way point I decided to walk in some of the mud from the last rain storm under the bridge where I turn around and head back to complete my loop. Best foot massage a person can get I think and the cost is reasonable! Then finished the loop and rinsed my feet at the park where I began my run. It turned out to be a nice evening. Had no tightness in my leg muscles during or after the run that was great! Did yard work today and planted some "backup" garlic plants in the garden. Should have planted them last October but these were just some extra cloves I couldn't see throwing out.

Don't feel too bad I went for my little run solo also, I didn't see any other BF runner on my two mile loop :)

He came back, and 300+ yards out of his way (our paths had been perpendicular), to start a fight. I'd had no idea he was behind me, riding on the sidewalk, when I suddenly found myself, him and his bike on the ground after he'd pushed me from behind.

All part of life's rich tapestry - especially in this blessed city!

Sorry for what happened to you Chris, on the bright side it could have been worse since he attacked you from behind. Wishing for a quick recovery.

little recovery run on thursday with another long run on friday. was a bit hot for me and the dogs as my pace slowed down and my dog lagged far behind. i tried to go early to beat the heat but i left too late because i didn't want to sit in traffic. i kept stopping to work out trigger points in my leg and foot. finished my run and my stalker was sitting in the park hiding under a tree. dogs ran over to her, ya her, you all know who, and we just chilled. ya, i passed out and woke myself up with a snore.

for ibrd i walked mine, mom's, and neighbor's dog to the park. it's 1 mile and i'm surprised my mom's dog made it there and back with out problems. i let them run around while i did some body weight work. the two ran around being dogs while mine sat under a tree saving everyone from those nasty tree rats.

my daughter had agreed to give me the privilege of her time so i took it instead of going to the ibrd event. besides, when i came home saturday night from work my neighbors called me over. i had a glass of wine at work and planned on drinking a beer so i went with beer and my computer to watch the fight that happened that night. left me a bit out of it yesterday having three beers. i don't drink like i used to anymore and that was just two too many beers.

finished my run and my stalker was sitting in the park hiding under a tree. dogs ran over to her, ya her, you all know who, and we just chilled. ya, i passed out and woke myself up with a snore.

I giggled at the snoring and got punched in the arm! The dogs weren't napping, so he couldn't blame it on them!

OK, so actually Mike saved me from having to take even longer than a week off from running - with a baseball. I have not tried a baseball to relieve gluteal trigger points before. They are amazing! After two days of using that sucker my trigger points are manageable. I also realized, that I need to write down my exercises, rather than try to rely on my pathetic memory. Because I realized that I have been forgetting to do a whole series of exercises for the past couple weeks, which undoubtedly contributed to my hips freaking out last week. I started doing them again yesterday and I can already feel a huge difference! I'm ready to run!

Sorry for what happened to you Chris, on the bright side it could have been worse since he attacked you from behind. Wishing for a quick recovery.
Thanks Dama. Things seem to be going along fine. I expect I'll get a few, shod, miles in this week. :)

OK, so actually Mike saved me from having to take even longer than a week off from running - with a baseball. I have not tried a baseball to relieve gluteal trigger points before. They are amazing! After two days of using that sucker my trigger points are manageable. I also realized, that I need to write down my exercises, rather than try to rely on my pathetic memory. Because I realized that I have been forgetting to do a whole series of exercises for the past couple weeks, which undoubtedly contributed to my hips freaking out last week. I started doing them again yesterday and I can already feel a huge difference! I'm ready to run!

Ok Jen, you're going to give me a detail explanation of how to do/use the baseball therapy(I do use a golf ball but there are some knots that are being stubborn) AND what kind of anti-inflamatory herbs you snort take:)
I know either you or Mike have posted the titlle of the trigger point therapy book but I am too lazy to look for it and I wanted...so get to work;)

Ok Jen, you're going to give me a detail explanation of how to do/use the baseball therapy(I do use a golf ball but there are some knots that are being stubborn) AND what kind of anti-inflamatory herbs you snort take:)
I know either you or Mike have posted the titlle of the trigger point therapy book but I am too lazy to look for it and I wanted...so get to work;)
I use a softball, I guess I have a big a$$. Or my trigger points are more like trigger zones.

I use a softball, I guess I have a big a$$. Or my trigger points are more like trigger zones.

I think you are right on both counts:p

Reactions: migangelo
Don't feel too bad I went for my little run solo also, I didn't see any other BF runner on my two mile loop :)

Glad to hear your able to run again! :) How far did you run? Pretty sure I'm the only barefoot runner around here. Have yet to see anyone else run barefoot on the trails I normally run. Maybe someday someone will see me and think about giving it a whirl.

Glad to hear your able to run again! :) How far did you run? Pretty sure I'm the only barefoot runner around here. Have yet to see anyone else run barefoot on the trails I normally run. Maybe someday someone will see me and think about giving it a whirl.

I am running ONLY TWO miles for the time being not much but like I always say- it's better than nothing.
So far so good although I feel like I could pick up where I left BUT I am NOT going to do it I am going to listen to my therapist for once:D better to be safe than sorry, don't you think?

45 min swim? dunno. no idea, cuz i can't recall when i got in the water. running a fever for the last few days, suppressing it with ibuprofen, got a sore throat, etc., general cooties. the water always feels good, but that's enough for today
I think you meant to put this in the week 19 thread. ;) Hope you get feeling better soon!

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
I think you meant to put this in the week 19 thread. ;) Hope you get feeling better soon!

Give her a break Nick she's not feeling well:nurse: ;)
Where is our nurse when we need her? Laura? ;)

Reactions: happysongbird

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts