Milage Reporting 23rd Week of 2013

Not likely Dutchie. My wife is kind of a fearful woman, having grown up in a civil war. Or maybe it's just her nature. Also, I haven't been doing much distance for a while. I only have time for about an hour of exercise a day, so I've been focusing on pace. Still, it's my intention to revive the weekend long runs, so hopefully I'll be back up close to the 10-mile range sometime soon again. A half Mary distance would take two hours or more though, and I can't really afford to be out that long right now. Still-still, we should definitely get together when you're here. First round's on me.

Lee, my daughter signed up for the 5k that is being run at the same. She is not sure sure if she will attempt it barefoot, in all likely hood it will be in her vff's. Take your wife out to a nice dinner and ask her again. :)

Laura, you're an animal!

ran 1 1/2 hours with a bit of a tempo run in there. feeling good with sore feet. the ground is dry so the gravel pushes into your feet now instead of the ground. remember when you step on slugs they are squishy and slimy. for some reason Jen likes to cook and eat hers.

No run yesterday as I was giving my bruised heel a break another day so I got up early and was riding my mountain bike by 5:10am. Rode 20 miles through town and on to the trails I normally run. Was a nice morning and a nice ride.

Just finished a short 3.2 mile run to make sure I'll be ready for the 5K I'm signed up to run tomorrow morning. My heel is doing good and will be up for the task. Planning on running this barefoot. While picking up the registration packet today I inquired about the 5k race route and found out 2 miles of it are on some paved roads. Drove the race route section that is paved road after picking up the registration packet scanned it for glass and didn't notice any so looks like this run should be doable (if that's a word) barefoot. The other race is a half which is mostly on the local bike trails which if I could do the distance it would have been nice to try but maybe next year.

Oh, and my wife and I both reviewed my registration form to ensure that they had me down as a male and not a female like the last race I participated in.

I have this problem that if someone is just a little bit ahead of me
I have that problem too....Had to refrain from doing that this morning...Was running at a slow pace, a guy overtakes me, but he seemed to suffer (lots of noise hitting the ground, puffing, etc)... I had to dig deep to not accelerate !!

Anyway, a nice and slow 11.3km (7mi) to finish the week

Tomorrow is a day off (running and work), as we celebrate queen's birthday (which it isn't), but the british don't...Go figure !

Just ran 3.5ish, on pavement, but I zig-zagged! It was amazing! The zig-zagging makes a HUGE difference! Works out my hips and butt and knees and ankles so much more than just straight running!

you are such a squirrel. full-blooded squirrel, if you also ran up and down tree trunks while you zig zagged.

Reactions: jldeleon
bike ~8 mi, easy does it
swim, duh, an hour of "real" work, 30-45 min directing kids on drills and practice. As I said to my daughter while critiquing her stroke "note, that I"m far better at teaching it than implementing, I'm just telling you what my instructor told me"

hike! beachy dunesy about 2.5-3 mi, up and down, mostly bf, toes in the sand. yum

night stroll

you are such a squirrel. full-blooded squirrel, if you also ran up and down tree trunks while you zig zagged.

I SHOULD start running up the trunks of trees and bouncing off them like a goat!

My friend asked me, when I told her that I ran zig-zagged through her neighborhood, "So, if I were watching you could I actually tell that you were zig-zagging?" Lol! I told her I do super tight zig-zags, cuz I do. Hilarious!

Reactions: scedastic
All I ask is that society never devolves to where Mimes or Clowns become the "thing"...if that happened, I'd have to cut off my head and put it in a bucket...

I am SOOOO with you, dude.

I may, or may not, have annoyed migangelo to such a point recently, that he spent the last 2 weeks torturing me with :clown:s on Facebook. It is the only thing that almost made me give up irritating him. The only remnant now, is his profile photo is a clown. But, I manage to tolerate that by reminding myself that he must have to explain his profile photo to his family/friends, and therefore, I WIN! And as long as I don't win a clown, I'm good! :D

Took the week off from running. I did something wonky to my ankle. May have twisted it a bit negotiating driveways when I was running on the sidewalk (looking for a smoother place to run) last week. Wife (TDW) and I took a 21+ mile bike ride this morning--with a 956' elevation gain. Now entering couch potato mode.

I am glad that you took time to listen to your body and give it the rest it needs.

I have this problem that if someone is just a little bit ahead of me, I have to pass them, so it was a fast section of the ride.

This happens to me when I run races - it drives me nuts if someone is too close to me because I will inadvertently start matching their pace, so I too, have to get past them -quickly! One time, this one woman ended up re-passing me three times during a race and I thought I was going to crack! Lol!

shortened my stride and everything was good again. .

I have been working on shortening my stride a lot more whenever I have to do pavement runs - and it really works for correcting, pretty much anything that's annoying me! It's awesome!

Laura, you're an animal!

ran 1 1/2 hours with a bit of a tempo run in there. feeling good with sore feet. the ground is dry so the gravel pushes into your feet now instead of the ground. remember when you step on slugs they are squishy and slimy. for some reason Jen likes to cook and eat hers.

Mmmmmmmm, slugs!!! :hungry:

Visited a couple different family members in the Denver CO. area this last week. It was a very busy time and only managed 2 runs there...

Monday - ran the sidewalks from downtown Denver to the City park where the zoo is located, one pavement lap around a lake then one lap around the park on the crushed gravel trail then sidewalks back to downtown...about an hour run time...estimate 6+ miles.

Friday - ran 6.5+ miles of flat crushed gravel farm roads near Louisville CO. southeast of Boulder near where I was staying... saw a few rabbits and dozens and dozens of Prairie Dogs. The gravel here was bit challenging in some spots...my soles are still tingly today.

Today back in Georgia I ran at the Duluth High-School track with Norman from BRS Georgia chapter. 3 miles at my Maff pace then 1/2 mile tempo at 6:15 pace then 6 miles with Norman at his Maff pace....it just hit me that was like 38 laps around a track...now I feel like a hamster.

I did the wounded warrior 1/2 marathon this morning . it was postponed till 7:45 am (lighting and thunder in the area). It rained through the first 1/3 or 1/2 the race.
I still had a great run. flooded areas some running through ankle deep water. I didn't get my socks wet (they were in my camelback). this was the end of week 7 of training. total miles for the week 27.

a nice white band is better than a bikini band. speaking of i watched a few minutes of the naked bike ride in portland. it was right down the street from my work so how could i miss watching? so many different people and lots of women with bikini tan lines. :watching::eek:;):cool::happy::):joyful::oldman::inpain::playful::snaphappy::troll::wacky::bag::asshat::artist::jaw drop::beaver::cow::smuggrin::turtle:. turtle is the closest to penis i could see. yup. saw all kinds of people and i went through about all those emotions. mostly laughing though.

yesterday i ran hour and a half and did some tempo. left me a bit tired but i felt great later.

maf test today. didn't go too well. didn't warm up properly i guess and too many TP's in my left leg. oh well. till next time.

Ran a 5K race barefoot this morning in the Buffalo County Stampede. This was the first race I've ever ran barefoot and only the second race I ever ran. Had fun and was a bit nervous about running it barefoot but wanted to give it a try as I feel my best runs are ran barefoot. It was a good thing my wife and I arrived early to watch the half marathon participants start their run at 7:00am as the web site said that the 5K would start at 7:30am but instead was actually started at 7:10am. The race started and I happened to be at mostly the back of the crowd of runners at the start and had to pass many people and then decided I will move toward the front for my next race. The first mile I spent passing a lot of people and one lady yelled at me just after passing her in total disgust "Put some shoes on!" I had a comment for her response but decided to withhold it and concentrate on the run. Mile 2 I passed less people as I had now caught up to people running closer to my pace. I was running faster than my usual slow pace but held back some speed as to not make the same mistake made in my first race were I started out with too fast of pace and had to slow down throughout the race. Mile 2 was mostly through Yanney Park where more spectators were present. It was here were I over heard some more comments about my bare feet but all positive. One lady taking photos of the runners said "Oh my he's running it barefoot!" Mile 3 I managed to maintain my pace without slowing but was happy to reach the finish line were I heard someone say "He ran the whole race barefoot!" My time was 22:19 I took 11th place overall and 2nd place in my age group of 40-49. Was quite happy with my results but was hoping to have an average pace at about 7:00mm or just slightly below that but was about 10 seconds short. Maybe next time. This ended up being a very barefoot friendly run and the half marathon would be good also.

Friday
Top ST – just bench press and military press and some quick curls. Bench press felt easy despite nearly two weeks off from strength-training.

Saturday
Family picnic

Sunday
7.67 mi / 12.34 km run
7.92 mi / 12.75 km total
68 F and drizzling

Had a nice aerobic run down to the river and around the Marshall and Ford Parkway Bridges again. Something like a 9:19 mm pace once I was on the River Path, 9:36 mm pace overall. A young guy running almost exactly the same pace was a few hundred yards behind me once I left the first bridge, and stayed there, apparently, until I stopped for a quick stretch at the halfway mark, on the Ford Parky Bridge, passed me by and said hello, and then remained a hundred yards ahead of me until we both left the river path back at the first bridge, where we waved good-bye as we went our separate ways. Felt good to run the same pace as a fellow recreational runner half my age. Ran another 3/4 miles up a big hill and walked the last 1/4 mile back to my car. Slept like a baby at night.

Lee, my daughter signed up for the 5k that is being run at the same. She is not sure sure if she will attempt it barefoot, in all likely hood it will be in her vff's. Take your wife out to a nice dinner and ask her again. :)
I'm working on it. But I would also have to increase my long run by about a mile each weekend in order to be up for the half distance by August. Right now 8-10 miles seems to be my natural limit before fatigue starts in. We'll see, but it's not likely. My wife is even talking about giving the Minnesota State Fair a miss this year because of possible terrorist/looney attacks. Me, I tend to focus my paranoia on all the loonies I share the road with while driving.