Milage Reporting 23rd Week of 2013

dutchie53

Barefooters
Nov 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Wow, my first time starting of the week. A 50 minute run with my 2 nieces and one SO of my other niece who is also here from the wet coast. We decided we needed to go for a run before everyone heads back to the airport to wear off some of the carb loading (beer drinking) we did all weekend with my son's wedding. It was a great run, what a fantastic way to spend time with my nieces catching up on things in their life while running. The SO of my other niece was curious about running barefoot so I also spend some time with going over form. He was getting sore knees while running in Nike's so I told him to try barefoot, not min shod and that should help him with his knees. When he gets back to the wet coast he is going to experiment with barefoot running. Well, now it is time for getting the house back in order and catch up on all the chores that did not get done this weekend.

About 6 miles in my Lunas. Felt pretty good overall. Was pretty hot, not used to the sun being out in full force like it was today. Was fine in the shade but it seemed like those non shaded stretches went on forever! Lol! Surprisingly felt like I finished up the run stronger than I started it. I was a little slow starting and felt like I had a bunch of crud in the carburetor if you know what I mean. At about 4.5 miles it seemed to work out of my system and I started feeling like I was really hitting my stride and was picking up speed going up the final mile long hill. I felt like going farther but was afraid that would be a bad idea, so like a good boy I stopped.

1st day of HM training today, very slow 8.7km (5.3mi), I needed to keep the pace around 6'20"/km (10'10"/mi), which I barely did (about 6'10"/km)...As mentioned a few weeks ago, I think running slower is harder than keeping your natural pace ! :p But this is part of this training, and will try to stick to it !

5.9km barefoot this morning. The original plan was to run along concrete footpaths to the surf club and back, but about 1 km along I ran into a mate and decided to run with him for a while. He went straight to the gravel path that I usually run in shoes when the tide is up, so I figured 'why not' - I was planning on trying it barefoot sooner or later. It was just a bit too gnarly to be a good choice for a BF run in the dark, lots of small stones and very little relief. I turned back at the surf club and decided to run back on the track too, for the fun of it (seeing as it would probably be my last ever BF run on that track!) and finished off with some nasty rocky asphalt (chip-seal?) in my last stretch on the way home. Oooooh!

My feet feel like they've been given the once over with a cheese grater, but no blisters, as far as I can tell. I'm supposed to be playing basketball tomorrow night, so hopefully everything will settle down by then.

sunday: a couple of hours at the aquatic center again. first half an hour, directing kids on drills and laps, so not really intense for me. then, more laps after they went to play in water park and obstacle course.
afternoon: half bare, half minshod hike on the dunes trails. my 10 yr old led they way. she was tireless.
evening: casual walking around in the tourist town

monday: short workout at gym

tuesday: 50 min swim. a struggle, for whatever reason.
walked a friends dog, minshod, maybe 2 mi?

Hope your son's wedding went as well as mine. I take it you wound up dancing up a storm again? Kind of glad to be getting back to normal now though. :)
There was some dancing after the wedding, but then we also went for a few minutes to a friends 50th bday party and I got asked if I was a professional dancer.... something about music in my blood... my hubby does a great job of fielding these things for me. (is there a dancing smiley?):singing: I just throw my arms and legs around energetically, kind of like this: (of course, I don't look nearly as good as these folks!)

7.3km (4.5mi), finishing with short speed intervals. Second day of HM training. I think I found what makes it harder to run slower....shortening the stride enough, so that you can still keep the 180spm cadence. Working on that ! :)

I ran 4 miles this morning at 4:45 am, 73 deg. F., 69% RH. It was mixed some old path some new(cool). Only 1 rabbit. on my last mile I passed by a house that was part of my old path. At this house a few weeks ago had cut down 2 large trees( I love the trees) (sometimes they help pull me along if I am struggling) anyway I was glad to see that they planted back 6 new trees to offset removing the old ones ( maybe they were ill?). This was day 1of week 7 of training for me.

Alive. Barely. After an 8 hour hike. 8 miles round trip. A 2100 foot elevation gain for a total of 6,100 feet above sea level. Oh, did I mention it was in 105 degree weather? YES NICK - 105 DEGREE WEATHER!!! It is so DRY here, that it makes a HUGE difference! There is no possible way to show nor describe how high up we really were! But those fools sitting down - they are literally dangling their feet over the edge of a 2100 foot cliff. I wore my Moc3s, Brine Shrimp wore his Dashes. 100 oz of water, 2 iced coffees, and 2 Polygamy Porters later...I think I'll live.

20130604_112937.jpg20130604_125658.jpg20130604_130509.jpg20130604_125424 (2).jpg20130604_125650.jpg20130604_100940.jpg20130604_125847.jpg

Alive. Barely. After an 8 hour hike. 8 miles round trip. A 2100 foot elevation gain for a total of 6,100 feet above sea level. Oh, did I mention it was in 105 degree weather? YES NICK - 105 DEGREE WEATHER!!! It is so DRY here, that it makes a HUGE difference! There is no possible way to show nor describe how high up we really were! But those fools sitting down - they are literally dangling their feet over the edge of a 2100 foot cliff. I wore my Moc3s, Brine Shrimp wore his Dashes. 100 oz of water, 2 iced coffees, and 2 Polygamy Porters later...I think I'll live.

View attachment 2238View attachment 2239View attachment 2240View attachment 2241View attachment 2242View attachment 2243View attachment 2244
sounds like Idaho summers! I can't even look at the photo of those 2...

50 min swim. tired. barely made it. too many breaks at wall.
30 min at gym, 20 elliptical 10 abs, a few weights and dinking around.

walking walking walking. trail here trail there with a dog without a dog. mostly in huaraches. foot skin is havign a tough time getting tough with all the hours in pool.
I really don't think its the hours in the pool. Anyway, it is not an issue for me.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11