Merrell Mud Run Series Barefoot Division

I blame Jason for this

I blame Jason for this fiasco.

I do too.  ;-)  Poor guy.  He

I do too. ;-) Poor guy. He can't get a break.

This is so insane it really

This is so insane it really needs to be exposed. Is this worth mentioning on the BRS facebook page. Something like: attention runners! This race's barefoot division doesn't allow barefooting!

Sad. I'm tired of hearing

Sad. I'm tired of hearing the phrase "barefoot shoes"...

I'm very disappointed.

talonraid wrote:I blame

talonraid said:
I blame Jason for this fiasco.

You're absolutely right Talon. What a shame, how difficult it is to understand what bare means?

Barefoot TJ wrote:please

Barefoot TJ said:
Please voice your dismay by contacting: [email protected]

I am not sure this is actually the best place to register dismay. This is just the race organizer's site. Really, it's the title sponsor and shoe manufacturer, Merrell who should hear about this.

The people we'd really like to write is the "president" of the Merrell brand. I can't tell who that is, from a web search. Merrell is apparently part of a conglomerate called Wolverine World Wide, and their public relations link is [email protected] .

Barring the president's email address, probably the best thing you can do is write a blog post about it, or facebook about it. I assure you that these corporations do pay attention to what is written about them in those kind of forums. Keep it polite and light, but factual. "Signed up for the Merrell Barefoot Division. Too bad I can't run barefoot!" or something like that.

I know I'm being negative, and not just going with the flow, but the whole Orwellian Newspeak aspect of it just drives me crazy. Hate=Love. War=Peace. Barefoot=Not Barefoot. Huh??? ???

Here's what I wrote to

Here's what I wrote to customer service at Merrell. Hopefully it will get routed to the right place:

---

Hi, this question is for your media relations department.

I'm a barefoot runner and occasional magazine writer. You can see some of my clips at http:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx if that helps.

I have a few questions about an event you are sponsoring, and that I'm thinking of writing about. The event is the Merrell Down & dirty National Mud Run Series. It was exciting to hear that there will be something called a "Barefoot Division" in at least one of these races, according to this link: http://www.downanddirtymudrun.com/news.cfm?news_id=435 .

However, there are reports that true barefoot running will not be allowed in this race. Rather, only minimal shoes will be allowed to be called "barefoot." See this comment: http://barefootrunners.org/forum-topic/merrell-mud-run-series-barefoot-division#comment-31713 .

Naturally I'm curious about the contradiction here. Is it true that people can't run in the barefoot division barefoot? And if so, why not? What does barefoot actually mean?

Thank you for your time and attention!

Deepest regards,

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

---

I was actually thinking about

I was actually thinking about this on my 8-miler tonight.

Here's what's transpired previously: I emailed the race director. She emailed me back with "if I have any more questions, please feel free, blah, blah, blah." Well I did, and so I did. I have not heard back from her since. I was going to give her a whole week, then contact her again. I also forwarded my emails to Ken Bob and asked him to stir up the pot over there.

In my email, I even was very generous in suggesting they change the name to "barefoot-shoe division," so that people who run truly barefoot would know immediately that they aren't welcome, but thinking about this tonight, they really should call it what it is: A Minimalist Runner Division or a Merrell/Vibram FiveFingers Division. They need to remove the word barefoot. But I have a feeling they will be more open to the Barefoot Shoe Division title. Do we accept that? Do we settle? I mean the oxymoron is disturbing, of course, but at the same time, the term does bring validity to barefoot running and draws more people into wanting to at least give true barefoot running a try.

I think we need to stir the pot on this one. I'm all about picking and choosing my battles, and this one is a good one.

Here is what I propose: They either allow barefoot runners to enter this division or change the name of the division. If they do not, we will wage a campaign to announce to all of the barefoot and minimalist running community that barefoot runners are not welcome in Merrell's "Barefoot Specific Division," and ask for petitions to be electronically signed asking Merrell to concede.

Here's the email chain on this. Of course, start from the bottom up:
-----Original Message-----

From: Barefoot Runners Society [mailto:[email protected]]

Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:23 PM

To: 'Down and Dirty'

Subject: RE: Barefoot Runner Division

Hello Krystle, Thank you for responding. Would you mind renaming your division to Merrell Barefoot Shoes Division then, so there will be no more confusion, and people who run truly barefoot will know that this is not a division for them? You're adding one little word here, one word that means a lot. It is not stated on your website that way. Your website says "Barefoot Specific Division," as in the screen shot here. And are you saying that bare feet are not only banned from this division but the entire race? If so, then it's even more important that Merrell changes the division's name.
Merrell.png
The BRS appreciates Merrell and other companies for developing healthier alternative footwear to the "traditional" choices out there, but as far as the trails not being designed for actual bare feet, you would be surprised at what our bare feet are capable of. The human foot is not broken nor defective and is quite adaptable to most conditions. Why not let the runner decide that for themselves? Why not embrace the barefoot runner in your barefoot division? TJ
-----Original Message-----

From: Krystle [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Down and Dirty

Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2011 8:24 PM

To: Barefoot Runners Society

Subject: RE: Barefoot Runner Division​
Hello Tamara-

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the confusion. We have created a Merrell Barefoot Shoes division specifically for the Vibram Five Finger shoes which is stated on our website. Our trails are not designed for actual bare feet runners! Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks!

Krystle Van Deusen

MESP, Inc.

(818) 707-8866 x 31

From:Barefoot Runners Society [mailto:[email protected]]

Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:33 PM

To: Down and Dirty

Subject: Barefoot Runner Division

Hello,

My name is Tamara Gerken, I am the original founder of the Barefoot Runners Society, now with over 2,300 members and 78 chapter clubs worldwide. I (and many of our members) may have been interested in registering for one of your Down & Dirty Mud Runs to run in the "Barefoot Specific Division," but I understand you actually prohibit participants from running "Barefoot." How can you have a "Barefoot" Division, and not allow people to run "Barefoot?" I'm utterly confused. Why would you call it "Barefoot" then? Why not call it what it is, a "Minimalist" Division? Calling it a Barefoot Division but then not letting people run it barefoot is just going to cause a lot of people to be upset, some of them potential customers of yours. Will you seriously turn them away should they arrive to one of your events?

Tamara Gerken

Barefoot TJ

President/CEO

www.BarefootRunners.org

From your site:

Attention Racers! Interested in wearing barefoot shoes during the Merrell Down & Dirty Mud Run presented by Subaru? This year, for the first time, we are organizing a barefoot specific division, complete with special prizes for the winners. Complete the course in Merrell Barefoot shoes or Vibram Five Fingers and the first place winners will receive a certificate for Merrell Barefoot Shoes.

TJ, I'm glad you think this

TJ, I'm glad you think this is a good opportunity to "stir the pot." It's an absurd situation, and nearly everyone will get that.

I think the best way to work on it is to publicize the absurdity of this situation gently and humorously on blogs, facebook, via emails, etc. Some of us could do it individually; it doesn't have to be an "official" BRS position, unless people here want it to be. Hopefully the organizer and/or Merrell will clarify things on their own (e.g. admit barefooters, or rename the division) without the BRS needing to "threaten" a campaign. Would that threat scare anybody? It's hard for me to know.

Ultimately this problem comes from the fact that shoe manufacturers are creating product lines and marketing campaigns that have "barefoot" in their names. I understand some of these are very fine products! But jeez it makes things confusing.

personally I think the best

personally I think the best thing to do is for actual barefooters interested in the race to just show up and run it barefoot. what are they going to do about it? the first thing race organizers do is have people sign liability waivers, so why would they care if the trail was barefoot friendly or not?

that's what I would do anyway, but then I never bother to see if a race has any specific rules... I just show up and run it how i want and anyone who complains can cram it with walnuts. ;)

I think if we get all the BFR

I think if we get all the BFR and minimal groups in on this, Merrell will take notice.

FWIW, according to the

FWIW, according to the official rules at http://www.downanddirtymudrun.com/rules.cfm , "All racers must wear shoes through the mud pit." So that would seem to rule out barefooting, regardless of what division one is in.

besides the obvious

besides the obvious hypocrassy....I, for one, can't figure out why they think they need a "barefoot shoes" division to begin with...as if VFFs or Merrals somehow "handicap" runners, or that it's in any way more "special" than other shoes to warrent "special prizes" etc....now, I could DEF. see someone's reasoning for a "real barefoot" division...although, really, for an experienced BFR'er, they will be as fast if not faster with naked feet than with shoes...but still, kinda begs the question as to WHY there should be a different division for a differnt KIND of shoe...maybe I'm missing something.

You're missing something? 

You're missing something? Here's my interpretation..

There is no predictable performance advantage or disadvantage for this division. It's just marketng in several layers. It creates a smaller, pseudo-elite division based on ownership of a particular kind of shoe. So you must purchase entrance to this division, which gains its exclusive image from the popular concept of barefoot runners being "hard core," badass, etc. (Though most of us know this isn't really accurate.) However, since for anyone to actually run barefoot would run counter to the sponsor's main goal (selling more shoes) they have to redefine "barefoot" as wearing specific shoes.

It's capitalist newspeak!

Sorry to be so bitter but one rarely sees such a bald attempt to redefine reality by a corporation.

Next up, my campaign for Abstinence! And by that I mean... ;)

--

ps. I tried to write on the Mud Run's facebook wall but I am clueless at facebook... couldn't figure out how to do it.

yeah, I got that...was just

yeah, I got that...was just hoping it wasn't as blatent as that...as far as writing on their FB wall...probably have to "like" it first...

That sucks.  You have to like

That sucks. You have to like it just to tell people you don't like it? Ha! They either need to change the rules or rename the division.

As far as "Barefoot Runner Divisions" go, I happen to believe that barefoot running is a separate sport from shod running. I equate it to roller skating competitions and ice skating competitions. They have similarities, but they are different. One is not better (or superior) than the other, unless we are talking about the number of average Joe runners who could stand to run heathier with less pain and injury, then I would say running barefoot is better for you, for most average Joe runners.

I totally get that idea

I totally get that idea TJ...I was just saying running is running....technique might be different...but we all know that after a time, we are just as fast, if not faster, than we would be with shoes in most racing conditions...so why the need for a different division...but I do understand the sentiment for wanting separate divisions.

Some think we have a

Some think we have a handicap, wrongly, while others correctly believe that we have the advantage. So, then, as the elites have their own division...

You are proof of that, BTW,

You are proof of that, BTW, with your feet after 16 miles of brutality, nothing got in your way and stopped you from accomplishing your goal, not even your own two feet! Let the runners decide if they themselves have the handicap or not.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts