Long hike OK prior to a marathon?

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
First, let me explain a few things... I have signed up for a marathon October 19th (it will be my second one). And I've been struggling with calf issues for a good portion of this year. I've actually had to back out of a couple races, and not sign up for many I wanted to do. And even not racing - just training - I still struggled with calf pains even taking it easy. That's a topic for another thread but wanted to state it here so its understood that I'm barely going to be in marathon shape as it is. My weekly mileage just isn't enough to really train well for a marathon anyhow with my work schedule. Last year I had a much better schedule and the marathon still kicked my but. But I also pushed really hard. I figure this year as long as my calves aren't bothering me bad come fall, I should be ok if I just run it easy and not try to race it.

So with that being said, there is one other thing that is a possible concern. I originally had planned a big hike this fall, my longest ever. There is a good chance I might cancel it, but just recently I've given it some more thought. I really would like to since I haven't done any hiking this year. And due to the hours I'm carrying my boss doesn't want me to give my vacation back. So I am contemplating it. The hike isn't set in stone, but what I was planning was a thru hike of the Adirondacks which is about 130 miles. Unlike the high peaks there, this trail is fairly modest and not significant elevation change (it doesn't really go up any big mountains, more like a wilderness trail). But I planned on taking it easy, practicing a lot of photography on the way, and taking around 10-12 days or so to complete it. In the September 20th to October 5 range. Basically I'd be ending 14 days prior to the marathon. Now last year I did a hike there in the high peaks area, covering a little over 30 miles in 3 days, 2 nights, and about 7,000' of ascent. I noticed when I got back to jogging my gait really felt off and my legs took several runs to get back to normal. But that trip involved lots of really steep climbing and scrambling and was definitely hard on the legs and knees. I had a race soon after then too, 14 days later a half marathon (which I did do well at though I felt underprepared).

Another factor is tapering, for a marathon taper especially since I'm not well trained I think I'll need 2 weeks. So Basically I wont have any running for the two week trip, and only long hiking, and then as soon as I finish my vacation I'll be into the taper. So it will have been over 4 weeks prior to the marathon that I'll have done much running. Probably not an ideal situation especially with how borderline I am doing it anyhow. Also for two weeks my nutrition will be mainly dehydrated meals. Though that might be better than a lot of the rest of the stuff I normally eat, but I wont really have the ability to eat lots of fruits and veggies, etc.

So do we have any long distance hikers that also race? And have been in a similar situation? Does a long hike throw you off for a while? I was debating putting this thread in the general running forum but figured this is more specific to those who hike.

Hi Tristan. I don't know if I am qualified to answer any of your questions, but I can throw a few things out for discussion.

That sounds like an epic hike. Don't pass that up at least if the marathon is your concern. The calf is a different issue. Hopefully you can get that figured out. So make the hike your primary goal and get the body used to hiking. I would drop all of the running for now. I think the hiking might actually help heal the calf through activity. Of course shut it down if it gets worse. I hesitate to say this, but have you considered shoes? Through my string of injuries, some shoes have helped the rehabilitation process. Now keep in mind, I am not a backpack hiker so I have no idea how that will affect you with the extra weight and the nutrition concerns. I guess try to experiment beforehand.

Now to the marathon. If you were a first timer I would say no way, cancel, but you have been there and you know what you need to do to get through it. If you are feeling good after your hike, go for it. Like you said, just run it easy. The back of the pack can be a fun experience. Also, again with hesitation, have you considered shoes? That might take some pressure off of you. You can just blend in and run your own race and not be concerned with a barefoot performance.

Another thought that could turn this post in a whole new direction. Forget about a taper. I don't think a taper is necessary if you are not racing. (disclaimer- I am not a racer) Treat the marathon like your long run of a normal training week.

Good luck and looking forward to see how you progress through this.

Hi Tristan! I think Rick's advice is sound. The taper is probably unnecessary for what could just be a long run. :)

I don't know what your calf issue is but a friend of mine had been unable to run for 10 weeks or so because her calf would lock solid after a few yards - it was fixed by a couple of massage sessions and one of acupuncture so that might be worth looking into.

Good luck!

Thanks for the responses fellas! And Rick, I'll try to respond to some of your thoughts:

That sounds like an epic hike. Don't pass that up at least if the marathon is your concern.

I guess it sounds like that was my concern, but the chance of me cancelling the hike because I fear about its effects on the marathon is pretty slim. I suppose its a nagging concern in the back of my mind. I did mention I may cancel the hike, but that's for other reasons with scheduling & family. I might also consider just doing a different, shorter hike.

The calf is a different issue. Hopefully you can get that figured out. So make the hike your primary goal and get the body used to hiking. I would drop all of the running for now. I think the hiking might actually help heal the calf through activity. Of course shut it down if it gets worse.

Yeah it is a different issue, and didn't want to get too much into it here. I also failed to mention I took a week off, and then a couple light weeks, a few weeks ago (my first long run in over a month was a few days ago). Hopefully my calves will be ok now. Calf soreness and straining has been an issue since I started bfr, and I figured it was overuse just because they were so weak prior. One reason I was one of the slowest here to transition and build up mileage. But this year, I've been running less and it got worse, and more specific pains. I may have tore it or something early on, and either not let it heal or my recovery just isn't as good due to the shiftwork or something. I've done a lot less miles this year, but the problem has been worse. But hopefully they are ok now.

I hesitate to say this, but have you considered shoes? Through my string of injuries, some shoes have helped the rehabilitation process. Now keep in mind, I am not a backpack hiker so I have no idea how that will affect you with the extra weight and the nutrition concerns. I guess try to experiment beforehand.
Not really. To be honest shoes might have been the cause of some of my calf troubles. It first started getting worse when I was running on snow, in shoes (well, minimalist shoes anyhow). And almost every pair of shoes (again mostly minimalist) I've tried to run in the last couple years have caused terrible cramps under my foot. Barefoot actually feels much better. It seems since I transitioned to bfr that shoes cause problems now almost immediately whereas before shoes seemed fine and my problems werent obvious to me to relate to the shoes. As for the hike, at a walking pace shoes or no shoes both seem to work fine. But the few times I've put my hiking boots back on, I can really notice how it puts more strain on my ankles and knees, and have a much higher risk of rolling an ankle and tripping over things (feet become 'dumb').

Now to the marathon. If you were a first timer I would say no way, cancel, but you have been there and you know what you need to do to get through it. If you are feeling good after your hike, go for it. Like you said, just run it easy. The back of the pack can be a fun experience. Also, again with hesitation, have you considered shoes? That might take some pressure off of you. You can just blend in and run your own race and not be concerned with a barefoot performance.

Well the marathon is mostly dependent on my calves. I hope it wont be an issue come race time. I just know I wont be able to race it, and probably even slower than my first one last year. But that's ok, just running a marathon per year regardless of finish time I think is a nice goal. As far as shoes though - this is a very flat road marathon. To be honest if I had to wear shoes I'd probably drop out, as doing it barefoot makes it so much more fun for me (although that time of the year was getting very borderline with temps for me). And my cramping problem running in shoes pretty much eliminates that - unless I can get used to running in shoes again, but that would take some time.

Another thought that could turn this post in a whole new direction. Forget about a taper. I don't think a taper is necessary if you are not racing. (disclaimer- I am not a racer) Treat the marathon like your long run of a normal training week.

Well you know I said the same thing to someone else. I guess I am just so used to racing I forget to apply it to myself. I think a small amount of tapering for the few days prior might be ok just to make sure I'm not on the cusp of calf problems and being worn out to start the race, but a two week taper is probably unnecessary if I'm not going all out.

And Chris, yeah I've done a couple messages and they may have helped a little, not sure. I was planning on one or two here shortly. My calf problem is not as severe as locking up a few yards in though, its just soreness mostly. Though sometimes when its tight, it has the same effect as when I'm wearing shoes and feels like its pulling on something under my foot and causes cramps under the arch which does drop me to my knees quick.

Wow sorry this has ended up being so long!

Tristan, if you'd like a (small, 4¼ mile) training hike, and don't mind a drive to the other side of Columbus, Lee Parker will be in town on Labor Day and we're planning to hike with the Metro Park organized hike at Clear Creek. Here's info: http://reservations.metroparks.net/programs/30545/918097.43709/

(Despite the name, reservations are not required.)

You can see some of my maps for the area here: http://www.ahcuah.com/maps/cchike.htm

And the Trail Mileage Calculator shows where the Park Office (Starner House) is located.

Reactions: Tristan-OH
Hmm thanks for the info Ahcuah. I'll have to check my schedule but pretty sure I'm working that day (I don't get holidays unfortunately, unless they happen to be on my normal days off).

Got it Tristan. I might work out better for you to do a shorter hike for all of the above reasons.

Good point about the shoes. I have forgotten how fun it is to do races barefoot. Also, I completely forgot about the transition back to shoes. It did take some time, not to mention the headache of finding ones that would work.

Reactions: Tristan-OH
Got it Tristan. I might work out better for you to do a shorter hike for all of the above reasons.

Good point about the shoes. I have forgotten how fun it is to do races barefoot. Also, I completely forgot about the transition back to shoes. It did take some time, not to mention the headache of finding ones that would work.

Agreed. One of the reasons I wanted to do the original hike was to scout out the trail for a potential ultra also... if the terrain was barefootable it could potentially be my first ultra since its only 30-some miles long. Its a portion of the Northville Placid Trail. I suppose I could always just do a smaller portion of the NPT. If the marathon goes ok this year and I get my calves under control I think next year for a ~50k isnt out of the question. However getting enough training in is always going to be a problem on shift. But like you say if I don't race it, and just treat it as a long run, I hope to be able to pull it off. I'm averaging probably only 25 miles or so per week this summer :-( if I could recover better and do more b2b runs I could do a lot more, but only 1-2 weeks out of my rotation have I been able to get up into the mid 30 mile range. I know Zap can pull off ultras with less, but I think she is quite the exception!

I guess my question is also in general though, so for future reference I was curious if anyone did long hikes & races in somewhat close proximity. I know there arent a lot of folks that both race hard and do long multiday backpacking trips, but no harm in throwing the question out there.

I actually have a half coming up Sunday. I signed up for it a couple months ago when my legs were feeling great. Figured it would be a good test how they handled racing a couple months prior to the marathon. But since then my problem flared back up, but given the time off I think they are ok now. I'm still unsure if I should push my luck and try to race it, or just go out there for a run. I probably should be conservative due to the somewhat chronic issue the calves have become, but then again I wanted to push a little as a test. I have no chance of placing, or even placing in age group, so I'm not too worried about going all out.

Reactions: rickwhitelaw