Important observation for those with calf pain.

jldeleon

Barefooters
Apr 9, 2011
Oregon
So, now that my husband has been running minimalist for one year, it has become apparent that despite his improvement and relative consistency with good form -his calf muscles are not giving it up.

I thought about this for awhile, it didn't make sense to me. I went minimalist the first 3 months of my barefoot running journey, and then ditched the shoes. My calves eventually quite being used and abused as my form improved. Probably about 4 months into it, they stopped bothering me.

So, I kept ruminating as to why I recovered, but he hasn't. Then I figured it out. Because I went minimalist 100% of my day.

BOOM!

So for any of you out there wondering why you are having a hard time transitioning, there's your big clue.

-As an aside, he has one Morton's Neuroma forming between a couple of his toes.

I explained his options:

#1.) Don't go minimalist in the rest of your life (and don't take advantage of the excellent minimalist work shoes out there which is his main concern) and your calves will eventually blow up -literally (calf heart attack).

#2.) Go back to standard shoes and your Morton's Neuroma WILL worsen and shut you down, quickly -and there's no coming back from it.

Reactions: Sid