Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge (January 2011, Walt Disney World, Florida)

Warren and Jimmy, I was

Warren and Jimmy,

I was there last January watching another of my sisters run the Goofy and it was unbelievably freezing!! I remember the sleet. Brrrr! I had to buy a jacket while I was down there because I hadn't brought enough warm clothes.

Warren, my kids will be with me. My DD (12) is supposed to do the 5K with me. I will have to get a BRS T-shirt and pray for nice weather.

Otherwise I'll be in Vibrams.

Just wanted to wish you all

Just wanted to wish you all good luck! I was going to go do the Goofy but this summer my brother got engaged and his wedding is that weekend. Maybe another year? I ran it in 2005 and it was crazy hot! So it is true you never know what you're going to get, prepare for anything and have fun. That short run down Main Street USA makes it ALL worth it! :)

hmm larry...maybe we could

hmm larry...maybe we could all get the same kind of shoes for the race so we can tell who the barefooters are. i like the idea of a meet up dinner but i've already got all my meals set with reservations. is anyone using the race retreat? it's an expensive add on but in last years freezing temps it is one that i now feel is invaluable. i will be in there pre and post race so we could easily make that area a meeting spot either out front or inside?

I'm interested to know if

I'm interested to know if everyone is planning to meet up to at least say hello.

I'm running the 5K barefoot. Someone on the Disney Marathon Weekend Facebook page posted that the weather is predicted to be in the mid-40s - mid60s. That will be perfect for me, since I've been barefoot training in colder weather.

I'll be watching the marathon, and will definitely be looking out for barefoot runners. I will wear my Barefoot Runners Society shirt, so if you see someone holler and turn you'll know it's me by the big footprint on my shirt.

Please get lots of pictures,

Please get lots of pictures, you guys! I like that you're wearing your BRS shirt, Fresca.

I'm doing the 5K run with my

I'm doing the 5K run with my wife and kids on that Friday morning then doing the Goofy Challenge Sat and Sunday. Each day I expect to have my BRS shirt on. I'll also be wearing a white visor. For the Goofy I'll be running the half-marathon barefoot and the marathon in my huarache sandals.

For those that are going to be there on Saturday is anyone interested in meeting up Saturday night? Or maybe Sunday night for folks that do the marathon. I could make some reservations at Raglan Road Irish Pub and Restaurant for either night if anyone is interested. It's located in Downtown Disney and is pretty accessible. Since I'm military I'll be staying at the Shades of Green military resort so if someone wants to meet on the Disney property somewhere we could do that to. Otherwise I guess we could shoot to link up first thing in the morning on Sat and/or Sunday. Jimmy suggested meeting up outside the Race Retreat. Not sure exactly where that is but it's got to be around the starting area.

My cell number is 760-405-3737.

Any suggestions?

Do you have this on the

Do you have this on the Calendar of Events, Warren? If not, be sure to add it to the Florida Chapter as an event posting so that all of the Florida members will get an email with all of the details. Please do this and let me know if you need any help. Thanks.

TJ,Actually I was just

TJ,

Actually I was just fishing to see if anyone was interested. I put it here because several of the runners I've been talking with are coming from out of State. I'll make it a Chapter Event for the two chapters I'm part of but I still am looking for feedback on here since several aren't Florida runners.

Warren

No, that's perfectly fine. 

No, that's perfectly fine. Post in both places, yes of course. I was just making a suggestion, since the posts we get in the forum don't propagate through email, and this way, the members in Florida will get an email about it. Sorry to be a butinsky. :)

Guilty as charged.

Guilty as charged.

Well, hi there everyone.

Well, hi there everyone. Just thought I'd add a post about how the Disney 5K went (Buzz and Woody's Best Friends 5K).

I wore my Barefoot Runner's Society T-shirt to the race and Warren's wife saw it. She told Warren and he came looking for me. We got to chat before the race and that was cool. I ran the 5K barefoot and it was all good but I had a really crummy time (not that it really mattered). One of the big problems was the Epcot parking lot was very painful and I had to run about the first mile on it. It was this really sharp, pointy nubby stuff. I thought of stopping to put my Vibrams on for that part, but once I was going along, I decided to just see it through.

The up side was that it felt REALLY good to get on the smooth pavements of World Showcase in Epcot.

I was planning to stop and take pictures with all the characters, but the slow pace I had in the beginning made me decide to just keep running. The original race instructions had said you had to maintain a 16-minute-mile pace or you'd be pulled out of the race. However, I don't believe they enforced that. But I didn't know that when I was there.

If I subtract getting majorly slowed down by the pitted sharp asphalt, and stopping for 5 minutes to use the rest-room in the second mile, I calculate I was running about a 15 min/mile pace.

My parents and sister who were spectating the race and watching specifically for me say that they did not see any other barefoot runners. So, it is possible that I may have been the only one running that race barefoot.

All in all it was a great experience. If I did it next year, I would definitely think about covering my feet for that bad parking lot asphalt.

I wrote about the race and included pictures (including a picture of Warren and picturs of the sharp nubby parking lot) at my blog, Barefoot Fresca (http://www.barefootfresca.blogspot.com) in case you want to know more.

Fresca, that parking lot

Fresca, that parking lot surface in those last pictures on your blog looks brutal!

Please do me a favor? Add a race review to the Race & Trail Reviews tab above. This would be a good warning to other barefoot runners to maybe bring along some socks or something for that portion of the course. Thanks!

The half marathon course was

The half marathon course was awesome and smooth the entire way. Barefoot runners must be careful in the parks because they wash the streets at night and they remain wet and slippery in places for the early morning starters. So many people were their that I didn't get a chance to see the other barefoot runners. So far I know of 3 that were there just from these forums. Also there is a loop leading to a bridge that is cantered and was a little difficult to run on because of the angle.

Barefoot Larry wrote:The half

Barefoot Larry said:
The half marathon course was awesome and smooth the entire way.

Warren told me that he did not encounter the same parking lot issues I did during the 5K the next day when he ran the 1/2 barefoot. He said there was only a little bit of that parking lot stuff at the end of the 1/2.

I'm signing up to do the half next year. I don't know if it will be barefoot or not, but the way things seem to go with this, it probably will be.

Barefoot TJ wrote:please do

Barefoot TJ said:
Please do me a favor? Add a race review to the Race & Trail Reviews tab above. This would be a good warning to other barefoot runners to maybe bring along some socks or something for that portion of the course. Thanks!

Okay, TJ. Will do when I have a moment.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts