First snow run of the year

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
We got blessed with a bit over 2 inches of fine white stuff today, courtesy of the Clipper front. I went out for my third run of the year in nearly virgin snow at about 20F and almost no wind.. It was just lovely, mostly...until about the end...and then after...,well that wasn't real nice...

The running was easy to start. I had to re-learn about how strictly I had to hold form and balance, especially downhill. It took a couple miles for my hands to warm up and longer for my feet to, not exactly warm up, but to stop feeling the cold. Then it was all peachy. Mostly. Until I hit a patch of black ice, just a puddle quick frozen, under the snow. Whupa! / bam! I was down with my butt and right elbow taking the majority of the force. Up and running immediately to see if everything worked, which it did. That happened about 1/10 of a mile from home, so I dispensed with my usual 5 or 6 minute cool down walk and took my steaming body in to disrobe by the wood stove. Fortunately, it was fired up and kicking out lots of lovely BTU's. (Good lad, Emmett my son!) He got extra points for helping peel off my wet Vibrams.

I took my time there by the heat but did eventually migrate up to the bathtub to run a moderately warm bath. That's when I discovered that if toes have gotten really cold, half an hour is not long enough to let them come back to temp. I nearly hit my head on the ceiling jumping out of that tub!

Be warned! Learn from my mistakes, friends.

Luckily we got snow already month ago, yesterday was -11/12F ad windchill -16/3F, my bare toes in FF-s can take it fine, my main and only problem is my fingers or my private parts if I dont use underwear below windy -10 (still happens, im used to wear only one layer regardless of weather). I still prefer -10 snow than around zero, toes will be dry and its much less slippery.
BTW melting cold toes is far less painful than ... other parts.

Hi Gunnar, Thanks for the supporting words on cold weather running. You've got it much more seriously than I am likely to see.

I realized later that the main reason me toes got so cold was that I had hit a patch of salt water slush as I passed over a bridge about half way along my run. I'd forgotten about it until I could tell exactly where the damage was the worst in the evening. Everything was pretty much fine this morning, if just a bit sore. I got off easy. So this was just a good warning - WATCH OUT FOR SALT!

By the way, Gunnar, I hear there's a singing festival there in Talinn every few years. Do you think it's worth coming to visit?