Barefoot Snow Running.

I blogged about my first snow

I blogged about my first snow run ever about a week ago. http://maplegrovebarefootguy.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-first-winter-barefoot-run.html

Since then I've done about 6 runs in the snow. Yesterday was 3 miles in about 18 degree F weather and 1 inch of snow. The day before, I did 4 miles on mixed ice and snow paths, then another 16 with VFFs on. I've also done a 6 mile and a 4 mile, but no snow on the paths for those runs...just on the ground.

Good blog post! I've been

Good blog post! I've been nervous myself about how snowy I'm willin to go, and actually broke down and bought a pair of flows for the winter (haven't had to wear them running yet, but we've only been down to about 30•F).

One thing I've read that is supposed to help is to eat a hot pepper or 2 before heading out.

Cool Saypay, I bet that's

Cool Saypay,

I bet that's an awesome feeling, unfortunately around here it don't snow enough to get use to it, it's still in upper 60's here. However there is a super duper cold front moving down into the south here in the hills of Tennessee. It is suppose to get all the way down to 44 for afternoon high Friday, brrrr! I have went running in snow last year when it was 9 degrees out and 4 inches of snow, which last year was extremely unusual for us, it was coldest year in 110 yrs here. It is suppose to be 67 on turkey Day ;)

I will eat Turkey and run in the pleaseant weather, but I really think it will be a mild winter here, it usually don't get cold til January or late Dec.

Okay saypay you are making me

Okay saypay you are making me feel ashamed.

Today it was 28 degrees F and icy out. I wimped out and wore some Zems and hated it. I'm going to see how low I can go.

Any advice now that you have done this multiple times???

Ok..   it's been a pretty

Ok.. it's been a pretty wicked cold week here in Utah, but I ABSOLUTELY refuse to run indoors.. Temps have been 5-18 degrees, with a fair amount of snow on the ground. Besides all the weather "issues" I've had a pretty decent running week. 8, 16, 10, 16, 18 miles (M-F) and today I'll probably do a light day around 6-8 miles. Yesterday I was pushing to 26.2 but the severe cold got to me around mile 18.. uhh.. All of this done in a new set of Vibram FF Flows. I did pull off the Flows for a few miles, but the thought of frostbite, and stepping on ice chunks sent my feet back into the flows. I love running in the cold, helps keep the core at a moderate temp., allows you (at least me) to really push my speed up over long distances. The real chore is to ensure that you layer properly without over layering causing perspiration which in Utah means freezing (which happened to me yesterday) Don't give up because of the cold, listen to your body, keep your core temp up, and go. Watch the extremities and enjoy quiet trails and roads since 98% of the rest of the running community have hibernated till March.

Happy Trails.

I tried to run in VFF's for

I tried to run in VFF's for October and November, but just hated it too much. So I'm back to full barefoot. Temps in the high 20's, low 30's here in NE Ohio. I'm just doing 1 or 1.5 miles per day because I got frostbite last year. Mile runs are actually really fun because I just go as fast as I can before I go numb!

If you just started bf'ing, I wouldn't recommend more than a mile in full barefoot for the first winter. I got pretty bad frostbite last year on a 3-mile run and had to go to the hospital with scary gray toes. I know some people do awesome long runs in the snow, etc. I have to ask myself "am I awesome" or "am I the idiot that winds up in the emergency room?". I'm definitely the idiot. Start slow, run a little every day, take it easy!

I love socks on a very cold

I love socks on a very cold dry day. Welcome, Bacon!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts