10,000 steps?

Abide

Barefooters
May 13, 2010
Anyone here tracking this? I've been doing it for a week or so it's a fun little challenge and a good way to rack up some miles running and walking. It definitely helps to have a dog.

Reactions: Sid
Yes, I've tracked mine for a bit over a year. My aim is to average 10,000 per day rather than hit 10,000 per day because I can't always. Sometimes I do only 2000, sometimes many more, eg my hike on Saturday was 38000 approx. I usually get around 7000 to 10000 on weekdays and more on weekends.

I've been able to lift my average from 4000 to 8000 per day and aim to get to 10000 and keep it there, trying to move all the time rather than sitting at my desk all day and then doing it all in one hit by going for a run. Through the day I get up from my desk and move around a couple of times an hour and a few times in the day, I walk outside and around our building a couple of times, or through the park next door.

It seems good to keep moving and to stay faster than the grim reaper.

Averaging might be a good way to go? I do like having that daily challenge though and if I hit 8k I'll just take another walk for bed. It's funny how tracking in itself is motivational enough to get moving more.

I do love the daily target so I do aim for it but know some days I just can't do it, hence the average - I'm currently using a 14 day moving average.
I agree, tracking things and seeing them on my dashboard really helps with motivation. I'm a data junkie though :)

Activity monitors are nice. I used a Nike FuelBand for a while. It was interesting for a few months, but it could only accurately track horizontal activity. It couldn't track my stairmaster or swimming. Once I got in the habit of exercising regularly, it wasn't as important.

Yeah my newer mobiles have built in pedometers so its defintiely more convienient now to track and it doesn't cost anything. hats interesting about the stair master. I'm trying to figure out how my phone knows when I am climbing/running/walking? Its doing it prety accurately too.

Reactions: Sid
I did it for about a year until I found myself becoming obsessive about reaching a daily target and feeling disappointed in myself if i failed to reach that target.
Now I just make it a point to walk/run everywhere and not worry so much about the numbers.

Reactions: DNEchris and Sid
I do this and carry a pedometer at almost all times since back in October 2012. The last time I didn't reach 10,000 steps in a single day was June 5 of last year so I'm less than 3 months away from making a full year of at least 10,000 steps every day. I've been averaging somewhere around 17000 steps a day over the past year and a half, and a lot of that is because I try to make that 10,000 every day, although when I first began I was more okay with just trying to average 10000 per day.

My worst day was the day influenza laid me out, only shuffled out a little over 1500 steps between the bed, the bathroom, the kitchen and the easy chair in front of the tv. Biggest day was a day of hiking in May last year where I got over 53000 steps counted.

I know, it's strange, but it was really easy to just start a column keeping track in the spreadsheet I keep to track blood sugars because I have type 1 diabetes.