ZEM shoes and Barefoot Training

I've seen them before on the

I've seen them before on the net. They look comfortable. They seem to have a flat bottom but still mold like a sock. I wonder how long they would last outside though.

One thing I liked about the video was the "pounding sound" he made running "near" barefoot on the dreadmill is the same noise I make. What was really cool was when he dropped the hammer down to 6 minute miles, that pounding noise decreased. I'm just a slow, plodding-along noisey turtle.

Thank you, Jimmy.

Thank you, Jimmy.

Looks like they're made for

Looks like they're made for the sand. What type of sole do they have? I'm currently experimenting with some aqua shoes from Sports Authority and with what little running I have done in them (recovering from TOFP) the sole has noticable wear already.

ZEMs have a soft molded

ZEMs have a soft molded rubber bottom to provide ultimate grip for many surfaces. Molded traction lugs have been added for secure footing when you need it.

Here is their product page

http://www.zemgear.com/ZEM_Technology_RH5K.html

Even though this is Barefoot

Even though this is Barefoot Runners Society, we still need to be on the lookout for good minimalist shoes for those times you just can't go barefoot.

We are a barefoot

We are a barefoot AND minimalist running club. As long as the footwear is considered minimal by the majority of the members, we support it.

I was curious about

I was curious about these...found a discussion on BF Ted's forum about them. Apparently the fabric upper folds under onto the sole, causing serious durability concerns for running on hard surfaces.

Their conclusion was that these are not good minimalist running footwear. Unless the sole is porous enough to be reinforced by my good friend Plasti-dip.....

just an update for you guys.

just an update for you guys. i have just been picked up by ZEM as a product developer and possibly a sponsored athlete. my first duty will be to test the two current models they have to offer feedback on how they work or dont work for our purposes as minimalist runners. the next thing i'm doing is immediately jumping in on the development of a running shoe with this company. they have heard that people are using their shoes for running and they acknowledge that is not their inherent purpose so they want to full that void and offer something.

i will be receiving my first pairs in the next day or so and will begin the testing process and see how these things fair. I'm excited about the partnership and hope that it will translate into a good relationship with the BRS. they are a very friendly company and thus far i am on board with their goals and visions. i suspect the current versions are going to be great daily and walking wear but might not hold up to pavement running fro very long. they might match well against aqua socks but lack the durability of a vff. we'll see and i will keep everyone posted on these in the future.

I will add that they have had great success with track and indoor running with the current models but are still only in the beginning stages of pavement testing for durability. they like vibram, in the beginning, never thought people would be using these for that purpose.

i dont want to post too

i dont want to post too since i've only got one run in them but so far so good. they are crazy comfortable just wearing around. i can see this being a great daily wear shoe. as for running they felt good for the few miles i've got in them so far. i can see some issues with running on pavement in terms of durability but that's now what they are designed for. on grass they felt great and i think they would hold up great for running on softer ground like trails. still have a lot of testing to do on these and i'm really excited to get into the running prototypes they are working on but in the meantime i'm really liking the current models even if they arent "running" shoes :)

i have both.  i'm doing some

i have both. i'm doing some testing for them to get a feel for these current models as running shoes. i like them both. the playa is far less noticeable and has a pretty smooth look to it. the ninja is obviously a little different in appearance but i dont think they stand out as much as a vff. i wore the ninja all day today for both running and work and i gotta say it's comfortable. i think if your form is good without much dragging of the foot then these booties should give you some good use

Please let us know how they

Please let us know how they hold up as you put more mileage on them.

Good review on your blog

Good review on your blog Jimmy. I am strongly leaning towards them for my next pair after my KSOs wear out. I'm interested to hear how they hold up as well.