you are respected and in demand... according to this guy anyway

Well pooh.  I emailed Nyal

Well pooh. I emailed Nyal earlier asking him to write an article about this. The news is not news if someone else heard it before you, I guess.

I would say that the majority

I would say that the majority of runners I've passed have looked at me with a look of half amazedness and half respect. It's the non runners that have something nasty to say. Though, I have yet to encounter anyone, or at least they have yet to make themselves known to me.
cool.png

I think it depends on where

I think it depends on where you live. I do get alot of people who seem at least a little respectful of the practice here. I think more people are hearing about it and are becoming interested instead of disgusted. Bikers and runners at least seem to know what I'm doing. One time I even heard a biker say "its an actual barefooter" like we are mythical creatures or something. The walkers still look at me like I'm crazy though.

I was on a bf trail run last

I was on a bf trail run last Sunday when I heard a mountain bike coming down the path. I moved out of the path so the bike could pass. A young guy on the bike said as he passed me "man, you're barefoot, that's crazy". I replied, "I'm only running. You are on a mountain bike. Now that's crazy!". I heard him laughing as he rode off. :)

Last May, on maybe my 3rd or

Last May, on maybe my 3rd or 4th run, I was on the Canal towpath that's next to Princeton. As I was toddling up the path, 53 years old and very slow, the Princeton University CC team, greyhounds every one of them, came pounding by me. The last guy in the pack saw my bare feet and said "Wow! Hard core!" It made my day, week, season!

JT, this is one of the side

JT, this is one of the side benefits of running bf. Everybody "expects" me to run slow. :) So if I happen to beat somebody, everybody is impressed! Well, except for the people I just barely beat, I think they are DEpressed.

Btw, has anyone noticed that at the finish line it seems like everybody is sprinting? I don't think I noticed this when I ran w/music, but since bf I hear them coming. I was wondering if they were just trying to finish faster, or if they are trying to beat the bf guy?

That's one good thing about

That's one good thing about running barefoot, people think it's harder than it really is. I've heard the "hardcore" comment also, granted it was from a drunk biker dude, but still...

ajb422 wrote: I think it

ajb422 said:
I think it depends on where you live. I do get alot of people who seem at least a little respectful of the practice here.

Exactly. Since I started I have not had a single negative comment. I mostly just get a smile and "thumbs up" from other shod runners around here.

Every "Hardcore!" I've heard

Every "Hardcore!" I've heard came from guys in front of residences along a race course hanging with friends looking like if they had to walk a block to view the event they never would have bothered. Seems like a pattern.

I think the sprint to the finish is urged on by on-lookers. I never used to but once I started I realized that I should really start sooner. Watching that race horse last week lose by a nose inspired me though.

Got to be carefull, I would hate to start the sprint too soon and end up WALKING to the finish line!

I haven't gotten rude

I haven't gotten rude comments yet, but there is a couple I see regularly on my runs who, since I started running barefoot, avert their eyes and snicker. I get more weird looks than comments. I did get my first honk and virtual "knuckles" from a guy driving by just the other day so that was kinda cool.

"Virtual knuckles," cool.The

"Virtual knuckles," cool.

The "hardcore" comment is always nice but a couple weeks ago I had my first negative one that made me laugh because it so much from out of field. I had just finished a five miler on a gravel fireroad in the rain and was washing my muddy legs and feet off when a walker in expensive clothes looked at me and sneered, "pfff, that's ONE way to toughen your feet up."

I get positive and negative

I get positive and negative (un-creative usually...) comments....but last week I did have a rather fun encounter...a young boy was playing in the yard, his grandfather was with him....boy said "Grampy, he doesn't have any shoes." Grampy says "Yeah, that's a new way to run!" I yell back, "Actually, it's the OLD way to run." Grampy laughs and says "Hey, that's right, it IS the old way to run!"

That's neat, Nate.  I like

That's neat, Nate. I like that Grampy was on-board.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts