Yesterday's Fun ~10K~

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
I had my first chance this fall to run a race yesterday at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center's Trail 10K (More or Less) just north of Allentown, PA. I finished without injury, which was about the extent of my goal setting. It was something of a challenge with a new course that had almost no descent and just over 1300 feet of climb. The rocky trail was fun and made everyone watch VERY carefully where they put there feet for every step, might near. I failed to make note of my own time, but heard people getting times in the upper 50 minute range coming in behind me.

I'm trying to cut and paste a copy of the course's topo map, but I don't know that it will cooperate. The last mile was a particular challenge, being nothing but fist to head size rocks underfoot and climbing 650 feet.

The main aspect of the new course that I hated was that instead of ending at the Nature Center, with water, snacks, and an easy walk to my car, this course ended up on the top of the Blue Mountain, above the Appalachian Trail, and required a 1.3 mile walk back down, descending more than 1200 feet. The view from the top was superb, but that walk down killed my poor feet, even in my Bikilas, and was just as punishing to my triceps, or whatever those big muscles are on the front of my thighs. They were screaming by the time I got back to flat ground!

NOT a BF friendly race, in my opinion, but just fine for Min covers.

http://lgnc10k.com/index.php/trail-course-maps/10k-elevation-map

Quadriceps are the muscle name. Downhills and the eccentric contractions can be murder on them -- that's the classic problem runners often face in the Boston Marathon, all the downhills murder their quads. I experienced quadriceps murder on a hike yesterday with steep downhills. Going down steps, or down a slope, or sitting down is still painful for me today.

I also find downhills and bare feet are the toughest part of runs and hikes. Yesterday I had covered about 4.5 miles before I put on the Xeros because the soles were getting beat up a bit and also because the people in shoes can move much faster going down rocky and steep paths.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Quadriceps are the muscle name. Downhills and the eccentric contractions can be murder on them -- that's the classic problem runners often face in the Boston Marathon, all the downhills murder their quads. I experienced quadriceps murder on a hike yesterday with steep downhills. Going down steps, or down a slope, or sitting down is still painful for me today.

I also find downhills and bare feet are the toughest part of runs and hikes. Yesterday I had covered about 4.5 miles before I put on the Xeros because the soles were getting beat up a bit and also because the people in shoes can move much faster going down rocky and steep paths.

Quads in front and glutes behind. That's right. Thanks Scratch.

Reactions: Bare Lee
WOOO-HOOO!
Congrats JT!!

Nice.