winter running with tabi socks and sandals?

scedastic

Barefooters
Oct 7, 2011
As the temps begin to dip down into the teens in my area, my thin injinji socks (granted, they are the thinnest weight they make,but my thicker ones don't fit) aren't doing as well in the toes with my sandals, though the rest of my foot is still ok down to the low 20s.
I was thinking the tabi socks, with only the single split from big toe to little piggies, would do better at keeping them warm. However, online it looks like a lot of them are only cotton, and may fit too loosely or not be sufficiently thick to do the job.
Yes, I have soft stars for when my feet really need to stay toasty, but the socks/sandals combo feels better and I'd like to go as low as I can with them before resorting to full foot coverage.

Any recommendations on brand, thickness, fit, where to look online?
Thanks.

I've been using tabi socks that are 50% cotton for 3-5 mile runs when it isn't too cold (32f or warmer). I haven't had any problems with them being cotton. When it gets colder, I wear smartwool mini crew toe socks (I think they're 73% wool). Sometimes I'll wear my tabi socks over my toe socks too if its cold and windy.

http://shop.tabbisocks.com/tabi-socks/punk-stripes-tabi-socks/

I see that Bedrock sandals has wool tabi socks for $18. Haven't tried them, but I'm tempted. Toe socks are fine but the tabis are easier to deal with.

http://bedrocksandals.com/ninja-socks/

I was thinking the tabi socks, with only the single split from big toe to little piggies, would do better at keeping them warm.
I would endorse this approach; my big toe stays warmer for a lot longer than my little toes. In fact on last week's little frostnip adventure, only the little toes were affected. So replacing the sock gloves for sock mittens should keep you in your beloved sandals for another 5-10 degrees below freezing, I would think.

I recently bought a pair of tabi socks from flipflopsocks.com to wear with my huaraches, but I have yet to try them. They are a poly-cotton blend and feel pretty thick.
Are they stretchy?
I'm concerned that if they don't fit just so, they will flop around and shift in my sandals. This happened when I had a pair of injinjis that were too big and I kept losing the socks b/c they would slip off my heel.

I've worn my invisible shoes with injinji socks before when it's cold. I've gotten into the 20s with that arrangement if it's dry out. I like that combo... but it doesn't usually last for me.

I can't remember where you live! My winter running experience typically involves snowbanks and jumping into them to avoid getting hit by cars. Once the snow is out, the sandals aren't the best choice for me. They can get pulled off if I posthole into a snowbank, and then they get wet.

I use a pair of thicker 100% wool tabi socks with my invisible shoes. Also as SillyC said, when it is dry they work great. If they get damp, but temp is about feezing, all is good. Wet, as stepping into slush below freezing, means I better get home quickly! Also, I do not mind a barefoot treadmill workout or two weekly when it is cold.

Actually, my wife made my tabi socks out of a pair of regular wool socks by sewing a seam between my big toe and second toe. Surprisingly they have held up nicely. Cost was $0. I wanted a couple more pairs since I have several pairs of old wool socks, but my wife only gets her sewing machine out once every 5 or 6 years.

Actually, my wife made my tabi socks out of a pair of regular wool socks by sewing a seam between my big toe and second toe.
I was thinking the same thing. I love my Dry Max socks for work and running (hyper thin), however they don't make tabi socks. However, they make just about every other sock. I wonder if someone contacted them, if they would consider making tabi socks?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test