Winter Footwear

Cassie...in addition to the

Cassie...in addition to the current line I hear Softstar is working on a winter model of the Runamoc. I'm not sure if it will be out by this winter.

THOSE ARE SOME SWEET

THOSE ARE SOME SWEET BLISTERS!!! Did you drain them?

But, your feet looked really good, no other problems than the blisters, which, I think you are right, caused from slipping ;-).

saypay45 wrote:Cassie...in

saypay45 said:
Cassie...in addition to the current line I hear Softstar is working on a winter model of the Runamoc. I'm not sure if it will be out by this winter.

I saw that but I don't think I would be interested. Way too hot. The entire thing is lined.

I think I am going to get a pair of the smooth leather runamocs. The suede would get stained from all the salt on the ground and the lites I think would be too cold for me.

I really do hate to get shoes at all now that I'm getting so used to the BFR but I just don't think I would be able to handle the cold.

I hear you Cassie.  Winter

I hear you Cassie. Winter will be a sad time for all of us, especially where it snows. But like you said, don't overdo it. You'd be surprised how much protection your feet actually need now that you've been BFR for a while.

My opinion is that everyone

My opinion is that everyone is going to differ in cold tolerance. Yes, we can all make our feet and hands warmer by warming our cores... BUT... not everyone has fantastic circulation in the hands and feet. I understand that one can grow more capillaries in the hands and feet, but I think we're all individuals in this regard.

FWIW, I also once got blisters a lot like LBFs, although much smaller. I got caught out in a snowstorm, and ran about a half mile on numb feet.

What helps me a lot is to start out in socks, until my core is warm.

NSN:  I was proud of them! 

NSN: I was proud of them! lol! Yes I did drain them, I believe in draining blisters no matter what. The next day those suckers still didn't pop. I couldn't put pressure on that foot because they were throbbing. I took a pin to them, it was a gusher! But my foot felt so much better. I was running 5 days later, with no problems.

I think we should add a

I think we should add a section to the Library Stomper is building for the best blister (and injury) pictures. Yes, I have issues.

I drain blisters too...but

I drain blisters too...but I've not had any since I stopped wearing shoes...knock on wood...

I completely agree with you SillyC....it is totally an individual thing...and regardless of if you "can" tolerate it, there is nothing wrong with not WANTING too...nor is there anything wrong with wanting to be barefoot in the snow :-D.

I have cold feet and hands

I have cold feet and hands all the time, for a long time, now that I think of it. My hubby can't stand cuddling with me when I wrap my feet around him. He's says it's like sleeping with the dead. Like how would he know?

NakedSoleNate wrote: I drain

NakedSoleNate said:
I drain blisters too...but I've not had any since I stopped wearing shoes...knock on wood...

I completely agree with you SillyC....it is totally an individual thing...and regardless of if you "can" tolerate it, there is nothing wrong with not WANTING too...nor is there anything wrong with wanting to be barefoot in the snow :-D.

Oh, I love when my feet can take the snow! Mine can't take the fresh snow, but after I'm warmed up, I can usually manage to go through one or two sidewalks worth of unshoveled properties. I love the way it squishes between my toes.

Barefoot TJ wrote:I have

Barefoot TJ said:
I have cold feet and hands all the time, for a long time, now that I think of it. My hubby can't stand cuddling with me when I wrap my feet around him. He's says it's like sleeping with the dead. Like how would he know?

Ha! My husband has never compared me to a dead person, but I love to go barefoot all day (during the winter) in the house until my feet are freezing. Then, when he crawls into bed, I put those frozen puppies on him and he screams! It's the little things in life...

Ah yes, those little

Ah yes, those little things...

My personal experience with

My personal experience with VFFs is that as the edges of the part of the soles under your toes are only a few millimeters above the ground, as soon as water starts to cumulate on it, the textile that lines the rest of your toes gets quickly soaked.

I've repeatedly experience this wearing VVFs Sprints, I presume it will be the same in the case of Classics and regular KSOs since the closest part to the ground has the same design and similar material. I've never have the "opportunity to test my KSO Treks in the rain, they may remain dry a little longer because those edges are not so close to the ground, but the sides of the toes compartments are also made of textile fabric, so I think they will get soaked if water reaches that level.

I woud recommend VVFs Flow or VVFs Flow Trek. The upper of both are totally made of neoprene which is directly sealed to the rubber soles. The latter have warmer soles however they are far more expensive and you would need to order from some European retailer. Flow Treks are much more affordable ($90 new) and widely available in US. I remember having read in a blog of a girl living in Alaska her impressions after running in VVFs Flow on snow. She could keep her feet dry but the thin soles didn't protect much from the cold, she was looking forward to Trek-like soles to keep her feet warmer in winter.

In the next few days I will capable to give my personal impression about Flow Treks, not yet about thermal isolation but at least on its "water tight" and sweat issues. I'll also check how snug the neoprene vamps feel compared to my other VFFs of equivalent size.

BTW, I usually wear my VVFs Sprints without socks. To prevent the sweated feet feeling after some hours and bad smell after a few days I put some sodium bicarbonate and a lesser amount of talcum powder in them every time I'm going to wear them. I put much more than necessary to spread the mixture with ease by just inclining the shoe back and forth, then I recover the excess that didn't get attached to the inside in a plastic bag to use it next time.

I read in the Barefoot section of the Runner's World forums that sodium bicarbonate inhibits bacterial growth and I decided to add talcum powder because it is highly hygroscopic, therefore your feet will remain dry much longer. So far it seems to handle well the sweat problem as long as I don't step in some puddle or a hidden water trap like an iron lid or loosed slab and get my shoes soaked.

Barefoot TJ wrote:I have

Barefoot TJ said:

LMOA TJ, seriously...how would he know ? :p

I have Hashimoto's Auto Immune and unfortnately, as a Minnesotan, that has decreased my tolerance for cold immensely since my diagnosis. It downright hurts to be cold. Whatya do, just wear more clothes I guess (HOWEVER, I too walk around barefoot in the winter, inside mostly or a quick sprint out to the mailbox). I can't stand socks, they make my feet claustrophobic.

How are you going to continue

How are you going to continue running barefoot through the winter, Zum? Will you get some good minimalist footwear then? Would a pair of socks work for you on dry days? How about some of those ZEMs you see to your right, Zum? Hint, hint. ZEMs for ZUM, ZEMs for ZUM. Just teasing. ;-)

Yeah, Tj's about as subtle as

Yeah, Tj's about as subtle as a brick to the forehead. :p