Winter Footwear

Danjo

Barefooters
Sep 6, 2010
I was looking into getting some shoes for winter, preferably not way expensive, and I wanted some input from you guys. After looking into VFF's a bit I was turned off by the fact that they aren't water proof. But really, I wouldn't consider my normal running shoes at all water proof, and I only need to deal with small stretches of 2-4 inch deep powder at most. Would you guys say Vibrams would work for that? (I was looking at some KSO treks, since they're more rugged and sound like they should last longer than other VFF's.) As for temperature I could probably just get some toe socks to wear in them, I doubt I'll have trouble when I'm running, since after I mile I run in a t-shirt, and after about five I could probably go shirtless, through december and january. Febuary is much colder because of wind, but I don't know how freezing wind will affect my feet.

So, would vibrams be good enough? If you don't think so any other recomendations are welcome, but I'd like to get shoes for around $60 or less. (I can get the vibrams on ebay for about that.)

I'm planning on just

I'm planning on just acclimating to the cold...:-D...I'll let you know how that works out for me!

Dan, the BRS will be coming

Dan, the BRS will be coming out with a very informative minimalist footwear review in a couple of weeks or less, if you want to wait and check it out first.

Waterproof shoes are

Waterproof shoes are overrated IMO. Once the water gets in it won't get out so you'll end up getting wet anyway and this goes for sweat as well. I'd go with something very breathable and adjust my socks to fit the conditions, a fast wicking liner and a wool sock on top should do it.

I've been running during

I've been running during winter in non-waterproof shoes for years, so I agree with Blind Boy's comments. Last winter I wore my KSOs with toe socks and I did just fine. I also have a pair of NB MT100s to put some spikes on for when winter really says "up yours".

Danjo,  can you tell us what

Danjo, can you tell us what the coldest temperature at which you would likely run? I think the VFFs may be enough for you.

I run in Teva Protons (discontinued, current model is the Sling King), but I wouldn't recommend them for anyone that isn't getting a harsh winter. They are very hot and kinda heavy. But I'll typically get about a dozen runs a year in when the temp is under 10 degrees Farenheit, and I'm often out before the snowplows. When I need them, I love them.

I find the Protons (Sling

I find the Protons (Sling Kings) to be perfect from negative degrees to about 45 degrees, so a bigger tem span than SillyC. Over 50 and they just get way too hot. They have really good traction, in general, because they are made for a boat deck but I also have a pair of NB 100's for the really nasty days.

My first winter option will

My first winter option will be to continue to use my barefeet, see how far I go this year compared to last year. I dread the thought of wearing any type of footwear now, but it's going have to happen at some point.

I wore KSO's last winter. I ran in single digits with no socks and was fine. I also ran in snow, slush, cold rain, etc. I found out that wearing socks in wet, cold conditions in KSO's was worse than going without socks. Running in snow with no socks in KSO's my feet felt warmer, than wearing socks. Everyone is different though.

I think I am done running in Vibrams though, to clunky for me now and scared of being injured in them.

fingers in my ears....la la

fingers in my ears....la la la la la la...complete denial that winter is coming...Sigh,

back to reality. I'm not sure what I'll do. I was thinking of picking up a pair of Jingas to run in or another racing or cross country flat. I'll try to do a lot of indoor track runs barefoot, though most will be outside in a 'gulp' shoe.

I'm with Zum...I don't want

I'm with Zum...I don't want to think about winter! I figure I've got through December before I'm going to really have to face reality. Till then, it's barefoot or Zems when the temps are too cold.

Vibrams kso worked well for

Vibrams kso worked well for me last winter. It usally don't get very cold here though. two years ago it was 70 at Christmas :)

Winter for us starts in Jan through April. With exception of last year it only gets into 40's and a couple of weeks of 30's for the high's. So barefoot here til have to wear them as long as I stick to trails, I got to wear kso for pavement since I have the mT problem on right foot. I love the gravel trails the best though. Seems like cold weather doesn't feel bad on gravel at all for some reason?

Cassie, I've heard good

Cassie, I've heard good things about the RunAmocs, but it seems that not many people have tried them yet. (I haven't.)

I ran last winter in a combination of KSOs (with and without socks) and huaraches with injinjis and wool socks (modified to have a big toe pocket).

This year, I'm interested in also trying some snowshoeing, but not excited about my footwear options for strapping into the snowshoe. If I'm really feeling flush with cash, I may plunk down for a pair of these. (If you follow that link, you may recognize "Tuck" from Barefoot Ted's google group.)

Nate, the cold I plan on

Nate, the cold I plan on getting used to, but I'm not sure how much you can acclimate your feet to snow. Sounds like a good way to get frostbite.

I'm not too worried about the temperature, I've never had a problem in just my normal tennis shoes and socks. I mostly just need something that will keep the snow off my feet. For running I'll probably be able to avoid snow and keep going bare most of the time, but I'll need something to wear at school, where I'll definitely be walking through a bit of snow, and flip flops just aren't going to cut it.

Run Amocs look pretty good, but they're a bit too expensive, and I haven't found them on ebay.

Oh hey, I just found some water proof socks thanks to the "featured member profile" article. Those look pretty good for running in, sealskinz.com, but I'd probably still need some kind of actual shoes for walking around and school. Hmm....

My feet get really hot and sweaty whenever I wear normal shoes, which would be my main objection if I was just walking around at school. How are Vibrams as far as sweatyness is concerned? If my feet are gonna be hot and sweaty either way I'd probably just stick with my beaten up old Saucony's. Fortunately I have fairly thin feet and don't run into the problem of having my foot all cramped up in a shoe. I guess I'm just looking for something that won't ruin my day by making my feet feel like crap.

Danjo wrote:Nate, the cold I

Danjo said:
Nate, the cold I plan on getting used to, but I'm not sure how much you can acclimate your feet to snow. Sounds like a good way to get frostbite.

I've been reading up...mostly on the SBL site, but in other sites and research on cold acclimation...and there are quite a few people (pretty sure some of them are lurking about here ;-) who don't don any footwear in winter (and we're not talking southerners....but north-easters and canadians...) LOVE running in snow, and temps into the single digits...

the key...keeping one's core warm..

of course, if toes go numb, one isn't "able" to, or hasn't spent time acclimating, or has no desire too, there are minimalist options :)...on the SBL site, there are people who shovel snow in bare feet too...other 24/7 365 barefooters like me...this will be my first winter completely bare...but I never wore substantial shoes in winter anyway...

There was a fabulous ancidote of a "snow footer" coming in from outside, with snow caked on his feet, and it falling off in the elevator to the surprise of others in the lift...his piggies were pink and warm...

So, it will be a wonderful experiment for me, and I will let you all know how it goes ;-D. I love pushing the envelope, always have...enjoy seeing the limits of my body. I'm excited for winter.

At least here in PA, if it's snowing, its warmer :-D.

I know Michael Sandler and

I know Michael Sandler and Barefoot Rick both run barefoot in snow. Barefoot Rick is the only barefoot runner I know, I am sure there are others, that runs barefoot all year long and he experiences winter. His tolerance is really amazing.

Nate, I look forward to hearing your winter adventures. This will be my second winter running barefoot but with more experience under my belt. I will try to push the envelope as well. I had an ugly episode last winter, which I don't plan on repeating, but I learned alot and found my limits, I hope I can surpass them this year.

Check out the iceman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpKXE2lm4t0

I've seen him before ...he's

I've seen him before :)...he's also a yogi, and he utilizes some pretty basic heating pranayama (breath control/breathing practices)...pretty cool stuff...the human body is a wonderful machine, and trained consciously with the mind and discipline, I'm pretty sure just about anything is possible!

What did you do last year? I'd like to know what happened, how, and why...preferring to learn from others mistakes, before learning the same one myself :)

Oh...that's right, that's

Oh...that's right, that's right, that's right! My favorite blister pictures ever! You guys have got to check out LBF's link. Sorry, LBF, I get a little carried away sometimes...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts