Winter Challenge - 2013

Discussion in 'Barefoot & Minimalist Running' started by Barefoot YOW, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Yvonne Barefooters
    1. Ohio

Message Count:
    :cat: LOL! Consider yourself swatted :really playful:

Wait a minute...you just called me a cougar!!! :jaw drop: :hilarious:

2. rickwhitelaw Barefooters
    1. Utah

Message Count:
    Nice job everyone. Bare Lee and Yvonne killed it! Something to look forward to next year.

Couldn't get a last run in. Strong front coming in and too warm of temps. this morning.

Yvonne and Bare Lee like this.
  3. Bare Lee Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota

Message Count:
    3.1 miles this morning, need another 6.9 miles this afternoon to crack 800 klicks. But it just snowed! Will it melt in time? I've put in too many miles the last week or two, the legs are getting pretty stiff, so it would be a blessing if I'm unable to run this aft.

4. dutchie53 Barefooters
    1. Canada
    2. Nederland -...

Message Count:
    2 km in -14C today. Damn we are cutting this off to quick for us peggers. It has just been for the last week or so where it has gotten tolerable out there to post some miles. There is always next season, but I sure hope that's a long long looooong time away. Congrats Lee and Yvonne.
  5. Bare Lee Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota

Message Count:
    Yah, I think everyone knows that if Barefooting Bob lived in Iowa, he would be unbeatable. By my reckoning, just around Iowa's latitude is probably the best place to maximize bareable, qualifying temps Oct-March. I dunno, maybe Denver if you ran mostly in the mornings, cuz they don't get much snow.

In any case, if I stick to my plan of mostly running in the morning from now on, and don't go to the trouble of driving to the fairgrounds midwinter in search of drier surfaces, I'll definitely be out of contention next year, unless we have a mild winter like two years ago.

OK, this morning's snow has melted, sun's out, 36F/24F windchill, off to get in my last qualifying run/walk . . .

6. Barefoot YOW Barefooters
    1. Canada

Message Count:
    We're all done .... 5712 km or 3549 mi

I applaud each and every one of you for participating.

Now it is time for a write up. Send me your comments and photos (rod_begg@rogers.com). I'd like to compose it over the next week.

Yvonne and dharmadan like this.
  7. Bare Lee Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota

Message Count:
    Thanks again YOW, for doing all the behind-the-scenes work!

Sorry though, no photos. Should've asked my wife to take one out on our street, but that would make her roll her eyes even more.

Comments: once again my tolerances improved, mostly temp-wise. I only got slightly better at running on compacted snow. The suddenness with which this winter came on in December got me off my game. There was almost no time to transition from above-freezing temps to really cold temps. Also, unlike last winter, there was almost no mid-winter thawing. For those of us who have trouble running on compacted snow, this made barefoot running almost impossible December through February, even when the temps were reasonable.

Next winter I will try to maintain my normal running routine, with no route or schedule concessions. It's just too much hassle planning runs around the weather and surface conditions. Maybe do more mixed shod and bare runs, as route surfaces vary, and let go of the idea that shoes are only for back-up--especially now that I've discovered the excellent Sockwa G4s, which have great groundfeel and are easy to slip on or off in an instant.

My best memory from this season will be those early morning, one-mile run-commutes in the single digits (about -15C), running at tempo pace in the cold, dark, winter wonderland just minutes after waking up, and the warm relief once I arrived at my office.

dharmadan, dutchie53 and bfsailor like this.
  8. dutchie53 Barefooters
    1. Canada
    2. Nederland -...

Message Count:
    No pictures from me either. I also noted a improvement to my temperature tolerance. I'm good now to about -15C not counting wind chill, but on compact snow and ice the tolerances have not changed. Only good to -3C to -5C there, fresh snow I will not even attempt anymore as that's how I got frostnip a few years ago. All in all it does give me a sense of well being knowing that low temperatures can be tolerated in the right conditions. Also a big thank you to YOW for organizing this winter challenge again. :barefoot:
  9. Mike R Barefooters
    1. Connecticut

Message Count:
    My tolerance for barefoot winter running also has improved over the 3 years I ran through the winter without VFF's. First year was 40 degrees F, second year down to 33 degrees, and this year down to 27 degrees. What I noticed is that my feet get red from improved blood flow where they used to be white. I still can't run in snow yet though, maybe next winter.

10. mokaman Chapter Presidents
    1. Georgia

Message Count:
    A big thank you to all you hard core winter barefooters...I usually stop barefooting thru the winter even though its mild here compared to the northern locations. I did more winter barefooting even though it was the coldest here I can remember...great thread for motivation to keep barefooting thru the winter.

11. bfsailor Barefooters

Message Count:
    How do we get this year's Winter Challenge icon for our signature line?
    I'm proud of those cold miles!

Yvonne likes this.
  12. Yvonne Barefooters
    1. Ohio

Message Count:

I haven't had the chance to email you yet...is it too late?

13. Yvonne Barefooters
    1. Ohio

Message Count:
    I am a shutterbug, I love to take photos! Unfortunately my computer crashed about a month ago and lost my data :swimmingtears: . Luckily, I have a habit of boring my Facebook friends by posting pix from my runs etc :p, so I was able to download those for the BRS WC write-up. Now to figure out which photos, how many, and what to say o_O

14. Barefoot YOW Barefooters
    1. Canada

Message Count:

I sent TJ the write up, but can you add them to the thread when it is posted. Please feel free to send me a bunch too.

Yvonne and dharmadan like this.
  15. happysongbird Chapter Presidents
    1. Idaho
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    So, if I did any winter miles logged here, I can have that little purple snowflake? I like my achievement stickers...

Yvonne likes this.
  16. Yvonne Barefooters
    1. Ohio

Message Count:

Oh, so I am too late :sorry:
    I will keep an eye out for the post, but don't know that I will bother adding to it.

17. Barefoot YOW Barefooters
    1. Canada

Message Count:

Send them quickly ... I can update the summary with your photos added!!!. We'd love to see them.

Yvonne, dharmadan and dutchie53 like this.
  18. Yvonne Barefooters
    1. Ohio

Message Count:

I will see what I can do :D

19. Yvonne Barefooters
    1. Ohio

Message Count:
    I'd like to know too!

happysongbird likes this.
  20. Yvonne Barefooters
    1. Ohio

Message Count:

I sent my comments and...ahem...lots of photos :snaphappy: :shy:. Enjoy looking at them!

dharmadan likes this.