Winter Barefoot Running – Is it for You?

area_snow.jpg
Winter Barefoot Running – Is it for You?
By Barefoot Rick Roeber

Winter barefoot running. Just the name evokes absurdity and foolishness in some people’s minds. For those who might not immediately dismiss it as insanity, there might come the question “Why?” Well, in response to that I say, “Why not?” Some people can’t understand why people climb mountains or why others jump out of perfectly good airplanes. Most of the time I simply tell people who ask me “Why,” is “Because I can.” Most choose not to do so, for whatever reason, which is fine with me. I like doing things no one else chooses to do.
For those of you who fall into this select minority of runners who choose to defy convention, then you’re probably still reading this and would like to find out more regarding cold weather barefoot running. For the others, I have nothing but good will toward you and wish you well as you plow through the snow and frigid temps with your “portable earth.”However, the remainder of this short article is for those who “dare to go bare” in cold extremes.
First and foremost, please understand that EVERYONE is different, and EVERYONE will have different thresholds of tolerance to the cold. I have heard of some who can’t run in below freezing temps which is perfectly understandable. While others, including myself, have the ability to run in single digits with snow does not mean that everyone will be able to withstand these conditions. (By stating this, I release myself from all liability that others might inflict upon themselves by unwise judgment in this regard!) My thermal body make-up has always seemed on the high end. What I mean by that is that I get overheated quite easily. I perspire profusely in the summer time, and have been known to sweat in the winter time shoveling snow. So, I believe I have that in my favor when it comes to generating heat. Everyone will produce heat quicker or slower depending on their bodily chemistry. The trick is learning how much heat one can generate.
My first piece of advice when someone wants to start running in the cold is … start running in the cold, whatever that may be. Don’t wait for a 20 degree F morning and decide to go out and run in the snow barefoot. That is a recipe for disaster! Probably a couple of months earlier, one should be running in 40 degree F temps, then the next month in 30 degree F temps and so on until one works DOWN to the 20s. Furthermore, if one has never ran in snow barefoot they should NEVER try it when it is below freezing. Wait for a day when the sun is out and the temps are in the mid- to high 30s F and then go out and “slop” around in it. See how it feels, and see if your feet will warm up fast enough.People ask me continually, “How can you run barefoot in snow?” “Simple,” I tell them, “Cause my feet are working.” Hands get cold cause they’re just along for the ride, so make sure you bundle up before you go out!
Which leads us to discuss how to dress including the preparation for the run. What I wear depends a lot on the time of the winter season. If it is the beginning of winter, say November/December, then I may dress warmer. Remember, we want to create as much heat as possible. Dress head to ankle as warmly as you can. If possible, put your feet next to a heat vent in your house or that of your car, and get them nice and toasty. (It’s kind of like giving them a head start to warmth.) Then, it’s just a matter of heading out. At this point, you need to listen to your body. If initial numbing occurs, pay special attention to that and stick close to your house or car, so you can duck back in if things don’t improve within a mile or a mile and a half. For me, I usually start generating my own heat after about a mile.After that, I am usually fine. However, like I said, everyone is different. For me, my feet can’t seem to generated enough heat in snow that covers my feet IF the temps are below 20 degrees F. Snow is a huge factor in the equation and one must figure out the depth they can run in. When conditions are dry, I can run down to 5 degrees F if there isn’t wind. Zero degrees F wind chill seems to be my limitation. At least it has been in the past seven winters. It seems like I can do a little more each year. Like I said, it will depend on the person. “To thine own self be true,” as Shakespeare said. Never were there truer words spoken when it comes to winter barefoot running.
So far I’ve covered the basic essentials in what I believe makes successful winter barefoot running and some of my own personal experiences. There are some particular “don’ts” that folks should be aware of also.
1. Don’t run through puddles at below freezing temps. I found out the hard way that saline compounds they use to melt snow and ice are very hazardous and caustic to human skin. This was the reason for my worst case of frostbite.
2. As already stated, don’t wait until January to start winter barefoot running. If you haven’t started acclimating yourself early in the season, put it off for another year.
3. Don’t assume that people will understand why you are doing it. You will be labeled a “nut.” Get used to it.
Winter barefoot running can be just as enjoyable as warm weather barefoot running. However, it takes a desire to learn it properly and within the limits of one’s own capabilities. None of us are the same so we must learn to adapt accordingly. With a little practice and a lot of patience, anyone of us can run in temps that we thought were “undoable.” We must simply have the desire and then the gumption to get out there and try it. If barefoot running consists of only a small percentage of the running community, think what percentage winter barefoot runners make up? If you “dare to go bare” this winter just know that you are part of a very small group of dedicated barefoot runners who have chosen to explore their own possibilities by venturing out on a cold romp on the snowy or frozen byways.
For more on my winter barefoot running experiences, go to http://www.barefootrunner.org/winter/winter.htm
Your Barefoot Servant,
Rick
07psycho10.jpg

You should probably repost this excellent article every October or November.

Like you, I run hot, and getting hot feet in shoes is a good part of the reason I've been a casual barefooter most of my adult life.

I also found it comforting to know that my tolerances are close to yours. I was feeling a little wimpy after getting frostnip a few weeks ago, but it was at 21F with a half inch of fresh snow, which you suggest is close to the winter bfr threshold. Still, I wonder if I would've been OK if I had started out the first mile shod, waiting for the feet-heat to kick in before the numb-plunge began. In dry conditions I've gone down to about 8 F degrees, and would like to test my limits a bit more under favorable conditions as soon as my frostnipped toes are no longer cold sensitive. About how long has it taken you to recover from frost bite? I ran barefoot a bit yesterday in 36F/30F windchill temps, and I didn't seem to have any cold sensitivity. So I'm wondering when I'll be able to tolerate sub-freezing temps again.

Definitely a great article.

My experience is pretty much the same. My feet take about one mile to warm up.
I've been running barefoot for 13 years, and I actually prefer running in the winter.
For me, ideal BF running weather is 35-40 degrees F on dry ground. I've run a number of 5K races in 30F temps on completely snow-covered courses.
I did have one case of frost bite a few years ago when I ran about 3 miles at sub-20F temps on ice. Not good. That experience re-established my limits.

I did run a 5K 2 years ago on snow at 22F, but I started out with aqua-socks until I hit the one mile mark, then ran the last 2 miles BF. No problems.

I consider 25F my limit on dry ground, and 32F in snow or rain. At these conditions I can run for up to an hour.
One thing that I definitely do when it's near my temp. limit, and Rick alluded to this in his article, is be careful to not get too far from home or car.
I usually park my car near a (paved) trail, and then run back and forth, never getting more than about a half-mile from the car. If I do start to notice my toes getting cold, I can immediately head to the car to warm up.
You don't want to be in danger of frost-nip or worse and have to run a mile or more back to someplace warm.

We haven't had much cold weather yet this year, so I've only had a couple of runs in sub-40 temps.

nice article.....
great points throughout...
I am suffering particularly with the patience part as this is my first winter really trying consistently to go bf and keep my miles up with min shoes.

My feet unfortunately run cold however...so I do a mile or two to warm them up in min shoes.....then take them off....and then depending on conditions put them back on once it is no longer "fun"...because thats what its about for me :barefoot:
Of course I cant wait to have fun running longer distance bf during the winter months.

You should probably repost this excellent article every October or November.

I meant to, but forgot. This is the second time I have shared Rick's article, and I thought it would be a good article to post each year. I also will be posting the final report for the latest Winter Challenge again.

One small point I'll throw in is to avoid cotton anywhere near your skin. Stick to synthetics or wool or you run the risk of getting warmed up, sweating a bit and promptly chilling yourself.

My other word of advice - think "Ankle warmers!"

Have fun, everybody!

Reactions: happysongbird
Great motivator! I'm still trying to find my lower temperature limit. 28 deg and a dry surface is ideal to me. Yesterday at 28 deg, the trail was iced over, and I put my sandals on, which made it less fun. At low temperatures, the road seems kinder to my feet right now. The adaptation is a real experiment!

David

Definitely a great article.

My experience is pretty much the same. My feet take about one mile to warm up.
I've been running barefoot for 13 years, and I actually prefer running in the winter.
For me, ideal BF running weather is 35-40 degrees F on dry ground. I've run a number of 5K races in 30F temps on completely snow-covered courses.

One of my favorite articles about winter barefoot running.

I am only 3 1/3 years into barefoot running but slowly finding that my ideal temperature is also around the 35-40 range. I have to admit I hate winter and the cold, but the colder temps feel great on the feet.