Wide toed slippers

SI barefoot

Barefooters
Jul 15, 2014
Carbondale, Il
This is what happens when you incur a significant injury and are trapped at home with the kids. Your mind starts to go places . . .

So this is where it has gone now. With the threat of plummeting temperatures on the horizon (it was chilly enough this morning to bust mine out), I was curious what the barefooted/minimalistic community does to stay warm on cold floors?

Here's my serendipitous story of success for satisfactory house foot ware for years to come. Last year, prior to converting to barefootedness, I fell in love with smartwool's slippers. At that time I could have given two hoots about toe box size, stack height and so on. I did, however, love the feel and warmth of merino wool slippers. I soon found out they had stopped making slippers, so I panicked, and bought two more pairs (every pair I got was 50% off, super bonus!). Since going barefoot during the warmer months, I was worried I wouldn't like the slippers anymore once winter hit. They do have moldable, contoured insoles and I was also worried about width. I'm happy to say that they are great! The toe box is quite wide and the slippers stretch as they break in which gives you even more room to wiggle and splay. The insole feels better now than it did last winter, likely because my feet are much healthier. They aren't contoured too much, maybe just a little more than the bottom of my five finger komodo sports. My foot feels like it works just fine in them!!

I tried to see if I could find more men's ones online, but no luck. It does look like there still are women's models still out there.

Just curious, what do others use for the winter? I've found these to be a great option.

Untitled.jpg

I use treaded wool socks for this. Even with holes worn through the bottom, they still keep my feet warm. I've reinforced the edges of the holes with fabric paint to keep them from getting larger.
2014-06-05 13.22.30.jpg

Reactions: SI barefoot
I got my smartwool slippers 2 or 3 years ago and had to take the insole out after about a day and replaced it with a piece of leather. It was just way to thick and cushy. A word of note--the soles are starting to get hard a slick already so you might want to find a way to preserve your extras until you're ready to use them.

Reactions: SI barefoot

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts