Why running is more expensive than going to the gym

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
Good point, but just like shoes are optional, so are racing fees as running is free, right?

I feel like it doesn't really make a point. It reads like a wiki entry. From my POV, Garmin watch +huaraches puts me around $280. That's 7 months at LA Fitness before I'm now saving money by not going to the gym.

Love those dirty baby feet! So precious. :barefoot:

Hey, I just post the news, I don't read it. ;)

Soap gets kind of expensive, doesn't it Lee? :D

Yah, but sometimes the running cleans them up. Like last weekend when I was goofing with my kids in the yard and got all this birch sap on my feet. Very hard to scrub off. But a nice run on chip-n-seal the next day polished the soles up nicely! P.S., I've never tried a Garmin, but you can plug most routes into Google Maps and get a pretty good indication of their lengths. Could get tedious if you're constantly varying your routes, but I have about a half-dozen I use most of the times, so it's just me, my feet, clothes, and my sony nwz 250 walkman for listening to my field data--i.e., nothing but the extra soap counts as a running expense.

Yah, but sometimes the running cleans them up. Like last weekend when I was goofing with my kids in the yard and got all this birch sap on my feet. Very hard to scrub off. But a nice run on chip-n-seal the next day polished the soles up nicely! P.S., I've never tried a Garmin, but you can plug most routes into Google Maps and get a pretty good indication of their lengths. Could get tedious if you're constantly varying your routes, but I have about a half-dozen I use most of the times, so it's just me, my feet, clothes, and my sony nwz 250 walkman for listening to my field data--i.e., nothing but the extra soap counts as a running expense.
It's best if you step on a slug, ad then step on some sap. ;) I just wipe my feet off on some grass -preferably wet. :)

Thanks Jen, I'll try your preslug antisap solution until the birch tree out back stops foliating. o_O
P.S., also, getting back to the thread topic, if you have a garage or basement, and like free weights, you can do 90% of your strength training at home. I do miss the cables and gym rat camaraderie sometimes, and can't bench to failure any more, but I love the fact that I can squeeze in a workout whenever work and family obligations permit. There is a decent initial expense, even if you get your gear used, but after that it's completely free.