Which part of your body grow tired first during the run?

WCW Chris

Barefooters
May 19, 2014
Hong Kong
I have started running bare/minimal this March and I have never been a serious runner in my life. At first my calve and shin muscle grow tired first which is common. Now I am running around 5K each run and 3 times a week. The lower leg muscles are okay now but my glute muscle always protests at around the 4K mark. It is not painful nor stiffened up. Just feeling strengthless in the muscle. I feel that the more I bend my knee the faster my glute goes tired. It is a common case too? How can I strengthen it?

more info
I am 167cm tall and weight about 170 lbs
definitely not muscular
Big belly (well i blame beer and all those crap i eat when drinking :p)
currently running at 6:30/km

Am i just running too fast? I am breathing nasally. Its smooth and deep (not sure, but at least not huffing and puffing)
The pace is just naturally picked up when i focus on leading with my chest and bending knees

I know the popular consensus in BF running is to bend the knees, but the amount you bend them is something that has to be built up gradually over time, i fell into the same trap when i started so i backed off to a position that i found comfortable and worked from there.

I know the popular consensus in BF running is to bend the knees, but the amount you bend them is something that has to be built up gradually over time, i fell into the same trap when i started so i backed off to a position that i found comfortable and worked from there.

Or maybe it is just the temptation to run faster(you know its really joyful not caring pacing, just run like kids) :rolleyes: It feels like the more i bend my knees the longer the stride can be. I should just go back to a more comfortable position to reach longer distance. So the key is not forcing it but let it build slowly. hmmm:barefoot:

Reactions: happysongbird
Glutes for me most of the time now, but once those get strong enough for me to go faster or farther, then some other muscle will get tired instead. A few months ago it was actually my arches that were getting tired which I hadn't experienced in quite a while. For a while after a few races, my ribs felt like they were bruised and it was little sore to breathe deeply. There is always something that needs to be improved.

If you want a strong posterior chain, try squats, deadlifts, and box jumps. I never paid attention to the "whole bend your knees, lift your feet" stuff. Also, try sprinting once in a while, that's great for strong glutes too. Good Luck!

Thanks for the advise. I definitely will incorporate these exercises into my regimen. I did sprints(or run faster?) for fun. Feels good firing those glutes.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Bare Lee
I think it's the weakest link thats gets wore out first...and this changes as you get in better shape or change speeds/running surface. Just adjusting to ramping up your distance/speed very gradually will do the best all the way around. You can do some non-running exercises but they make you stronger overall which a good thing but may or may not change your running abilities.

There is an old running saying that says "runs lots mostly slow and a little bit fast" that still holds true.

I have started running bare/minimal this March and I have never been a serious runner in my life. ... Now I am running around 5K each run and 3 times a week.
That's great! Congratulations! You've made a lot of progress in a short time, and you want to move forward.
Now, to put things in perspective, the process that you've described is similar to a beginner's program, Couch to 5K. Now that you've reached an intermediate level, don't get discouraged. There's still a lot of things to work on and a lot of progress to be made. Good luck!

That's great! Congratulations! You've made a lot of progress in a short time, and you want to move forward.
Now, to put things in perspective, the process that you've described is similar to a beginner's program, Couch to 5K. Now that you've reached an intermediate level, don't get discouraged. There's still a lot of things to work on and a lot of progress to be made. Good luck!
I am not discouraged at all. Glad to discover barefoot running, its super duper funny. So many things to let me feel and discover and it almost(or already) make me a running nerd. I am always looking for the next run. Its hard to suppress the temptation to run longer and faster.:)
I am sure I can control myself though. I did learn that lesson back in those days when I ramp up to 10K(grinding and slumping in my trainer) from 5K all the sudden. It is just plain stupidity and my ITB rubbed for three days. Luckily thats enough for me to learn the lesson.:barefoot:

Hey Chris, you're doing great! Your problems are all the good king, I think.

I would suggest that you restrain your urge to make progress in your "speed" development for a while. It takes your body a longer time than most people credit to build both muscle and bone strength. The longer you can give yourself the grace time, sticking mostly to Long Slow Distance, the better your chances of an immaculate (injury free) transition from non-runner to old hand.

One other thing: Chris McDougall did a NYT article extolling the virtues of an exercise call the 100 Up. There are lots of great exercises that I almost never do, but this one got and held my attention for some reason, and I think it has helped me build hip, glute and leg strength AND put a spring in my step.

Good luck!

Reactions: WCW Chris
Myself, the first thing to get "tired/sore" is my mind. So instead of focusing on me, I try to be "in the moment".
"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend." -Bruce Lee

I run out of breath

Reactions: Bare Lee