Where are the trails?

Well I don't know about

Well I don't know about Missouri, only Minnesota.

If you're up for a 10 hour drive, go to Jay Cooke State Park in Duluth, MN. There is a trail there that is actually used for an ultra; the Voyageur Trail Run (the full trail is 25 miles, and the ultra is out and back for 50 miles). It is single track with a bunch of ultra-style things like water crossings, rocks for climbing, etc.

From where I live in

From where I live in Northeast, Tn the Appalachin trail from here goes all the way to Maine! You are talking about major trail running here. Long ago there was a guy who hiked the whole Appalachin trail barefooted. I can't remember how long it took him, but he did it. it's a long ways from Missouri, but trails galore!

barefoot kean wrote:I am

barefoot kean said:
I am wondering where in the U.S. there are lots of good trails for running on. Specifically trails that would help to prepare me for an ultra.
That is a fairly broad scope. Care to narrow it down? Otherwise Go Here

I've been looking at the Sea

I've been looking at the Sea to Sea trail lately. It starts from Torrey Pines on the Pacific Ocean and ends up at Salton Sea California. Total distance is about 140miles (one way). The guy in charge of our ultra club has a hard-on for it and wants to put together a one way trip some day. We'd recruit a driver to hold our gear and to meet us at key stops along the way and we'd camp out after a day's worth of running, replenish our water and food stores and go run some more.

Shacky that sounds

Shacky that sounds incredible, and fun! The only problem with the Appalachin trails is you can't really run any major distance on those trails. They are rugged in places, narrow, rocky, rooty, straight up, or straight down, and then you may get two or three miles of clean wide barefoot friendliness. A person would really have to have tough feet and just be a tough person in general, like Jason Robillard :)

Quote:Shacky that sounds

Shacky that sounds incredible, and fun! The only problem with the Appalachin trails is you can't really run any major distance on those trails. They are rugged in places, narrow, rocky, rooty, straight up, or straight down, and then you may get two or three miles of clean wide barefoot friendliness. A person would really have to have tough feet and just be a tough person in general, like Jason Robillard
smile.png

The AT is runnable barefoot. I live in North Georgia and run it occassionally. It is crappy in some parts, but it forces good form. It takes practice and patience to develop what you need both mentally and physically to run it, but you can. Every step may be uncomfortable, but the discomfort leaves the foot before it even has a chance to touch the ground again. See it as a challenge. If you can run on that you can run on just about anything.

For anyone interested, here are some pictures of the AT. Some parts are pretty rocky.

I actually do alot of trail

I actually do alot of trail running, there are all kinds of trails here in Northeast Tn. I bruised up the bottoms of my feet yesterday, prob bad form with tiredness. Still loved it. I even ran the gravel trail back. I took my vibrams today for the gravel trail, and the whole side on inside of my left foot split open in the mesh? I have only wore them 12 times! I was like oh well, guess I was meant to go barefoot afterall lol ;)

North Georgia is gorgeous,

North Georgia is gorgeous, Tyler. Lucky you!

Quote:I actually do alot of

I actually do alot of trail running, there are all kinds of trails here in Northeast Tn. I bruised up the bottoms of my feet yesterday, prob bad form with tiredness. Still loved it. I even ran the gravel trail back. I took my vibrams today for the gravel trail, and the whole side on inside of my left foot split open in the mesh? I have only wore them 12 times! I was like oh well, guess I was meant to go barefoot afterall lol
wink.png

send em back. i have heard vibram sends shoes back even after the 100 mile mark

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts