When will it end?

I happen to believe that if a

I happen to believe that if a private business owner asks us to wear footwear in their establishment, then we should wear footwear if we want to go in there. (boo, hiss, boo, hiss, I know) If we don't like it, we can protest, petition, and plead our way to change. (Board can help out in this area, since he knows a lot about it.)

Here's why I think it can be dangerous to run barefoot on a treadmill... I was running on a dreadmill at the physical therapist's office barefoot, when I looked away for just a moment, lost my perception of where I was on the belt, and slid my foot along the metal side of the rail that lines with the belt. I cut my foot open. If I were a suit-happy pig, I could have turned around and sued them.

At the same time, I think if we could carry a waiver to say we will not sue if we get hurt while on their premises barefoot (from being barefoot, then everyone will be happy.

I actually don't see a problem with people going barefoot on the indoor track though. Like Abide says, point out that they let people in the Pilates and Yoga classes go barefoot; why not the runners? Now if they want to say that athlete's foot is such a problem, then they should also force people to wear flip-flops while showering at their gyms.

Abide wrote:The athletes

Abide said:
The athletes foot argument is bogus, just tell them they let the yoga classes go barefoot and it isn't any different.

It's not different, but... apparently, a number of yoga studios have gotten rid of common mats due to plantar warts and foot fungus. If there are a lot of people and no sunshine, these things can spread. That said, I go barefoot in the gym myself. Life is too short.

There was an incidence at a

There was an incidence at a gym where I was that some people contracted something from the balance balls. Yuck!

Barefoot TJ wrote:I happen to

Barefoot TJ said:
I happen to believe that if a private business owner asks us to wear footwear in their establishment, then we should wear footwear if we want to go in there.

I'm a strong believer in free market economics. If a tavern wants to ban long haired males, so be it, (easy for ME to say!) as their business will be gladly accepted elsewhere.

But maybe a restaurant wants to remain guys only. Should equal rights trump owners rights?

What about other protected groups such as race, religion, country of origin, etc. Who's rights and freedoms are more important, the owner or the group's?

It's a scientific fact that my wife's knee osteoarthritis pain is greatly reduced when walking barefoot. Even twenty steps to a restaurant bathroom in shoes of any type agravates it. Should the owner of an open to the public establishment be permitted to force her into footwear as a condition for entry?

My own hallux limitis allows me to run sub-26 minute 5K's pain free. In flip flops or any other form of footwear I am in pain NOT just for the duration of the shod period, but for the better part of the next day as well!

If business owners were free to restrict as they see fit, why in the world would they let an elderly patron in a walker using oxygen into their establishment? The odds of an accident/incident are greatly increased in that subgroup when attempting to negotiate a trip to and from the restroom.

I look at it this way:

Letting me in a restaurant wearing my tie shirtless as in the Red Carpet Run falls into the "keep him out if you desire" catagory.

Requiring my wife or myself to put on crippling footwear falls into the other.

Fighting for barefoot rights is far different than fighting for nude rights.

I knew you would have much to

I knew you would have much to say on this topic, Board, and you know I appreciate you and your opinions.

How do you feel about someone who becomes injured while barefoot (cuts their foot on the treadmill, for example) in someone else's store, then sues the owner?

What about the nudists? Should the nudists be allowed to walk into public places butt naked nude? Not that there's anything wrong with that. Oh wait... Maybe there is, like espeically if I'm eating dinner at a restaurant. Teasing.

I have thought about having my doctor write up a note I can carry that says I can't wear footwear and carry it with me. Maybe a note for your wife would help.

Also, if we carry a note saying we won't sue, blah, blah, blah, then they should at least consider letting us in their stores barefoot. Just a workaround.

I changed your formatting to

I changed your formatting to Full HTML, Board, and it looks a little better. Don't know what happened there right now.

EDIT: Okay, I got it. Since you copied that into the body of the post here, it removed all the line returns. You have to add them back before you save your post.

I remember reading this story, I think "on that other forum" a little while back. I enjoyed it then, and I enjoy it now. Do you carry that letter everytime you go into Kroger?

Barefoot TJ wrote: Do you

Barefoot TJ said:
Do you carry that letter everytime you go into Kroger?

Yes, but it's better not to use it. Displaying it points out that there has been an attempt by a manager in the past to ban bare feet. I like to use the "WTF" defense, as in "I've never heard of such a crazy concept of requiring shoes".

If all else fails, I just call the head honcho and have him PERSONALY set the loose cannon straight.

I used that approach at Sam's Club just last week. I made the store manager call the regional boss rather than cave in to the request to leave, and after finishing my shopping I OWNED that store! "Deepest apologies sir, ........"

It was so classic, my wife shops in that particular store barefoot all the time, but I go to a different one. Last week she was in the car following the procedure I previously wrote about (what a pain in the a$$ that was!) so at her request I went in to get supplies. Gender double standard as usual, I could'nt get past the greeter. Staying calm and acting shocked worked, and all turned out O.K.

Barefoot TJ wrote:How do you

Barefoot TJ said:
How do you feel about someone who becomes injured while barefoot (cuts their foot on the treadmill, for example) in someone else's store, then sues the owner? What about the nudists? Should the nudists be allowed to walk into public places butt naked nude? I have thought about having my doctor write up a note I can carry that says I can't wear footwear and carry it with me. Maybe a note for your wife would help. Also, if we carry a note saying we won't sue, blah, blah, blah, then they should at least consider letting us in their stores barefoot. Just a workaround.

Personal responsibility should rule. Bare feet at own risk. Within reason however! If something falls from the ceiling or a shelf and smashes a barefooter's metatarsals he or she should be entitled to the same compensation a sandal wearer would be.

Treadmill? Barefooter beware!

I covered my thoughts on nudism already in this thread. Barefooting is similar to bareheading and barehanding, not bare bodying.

My wife is in posession of a good Dr.'s note, it's what gained her barefoot freedom at her high-end health club. I use a cheapo club for my few weeks of indoor cardio, and they won't honor it even when I signed her up as an additional member..

Regarding that signed waiver of liability....it sometimes works, but anybody that knows their stuff realizes that it is legaly meaningless.

Barefoot TJ wrote:I changed

Barefoot TJ said:
I changed your formatting to Full HTML, Board, and it looks a little better. Don't know what happened there right now.EDIT: Okay, I got it. Since you copied that into the body of the post here, it removed all the line returns. You have to add them back before you save your post.

WHOA T.J.! I went back to just edit out the one line edit inquiring about the spaces, and the whole post reverted back to the original with the wrong formatting! I $crewed up your correction of it! What do I do now?

I'm more confused than ever: When I click EDIT, I see the nicely formatted version, but when I save it, it still reverts back.

I even tried copying and pasting the nice one, but it also saves as the weird spaceless version.

I better catch up with you in the site help section of the forums.

Abide wrote:Hey Board have

Abide said:
Hey Board have you ever gone in from the ADA angle?

EDIT: T.J. fixed the formatting problem here, but I $crewed it up again. Sorry!

Indirectly, but succesfully. Here's an example from early this spring:

This past week for the first time ever in five decades of shopping Kroger stores
I was told by employees that I would have to leave the supermarket before
completing my purchase.
Despite the fact that I had already filled a cart with groceries, I apparently
did not meet the dress requirement of the managers on duty.
I am a 56 year old dentist in full time practice in the general area of the
store in question and am unable to wear footwear due to an advanced arthritic
condition. For the past decade I have gone about my daily business without
shoes, and have only on the rarest of occasions had to defend my manner of
dress.
Imagine my shock last week when I was told by Kroger employees that I was in
violation of Michigan State Law!
Prepared to defend myself from the possibility of such misinformed persons, I
patiently displayed my letters from the Michigan Department of Health as well as
the Oakland County Health Dept. stating clearly that no such law exists.
Yesterday, the same two individuals attempted to advance their own personal
agenda for the second time, and to my embarrassment singled me out in the middle
of my shopping for eviction. I countered their incorrect claims of illegality
once again, but they seemed uninterested in my efforts to educate them.
I explained that I am less of a liabilty risk than a shopper in heels or flip
flops, as is well documented in the literature, but they seemed uninterested.
My personal physician as well as my orthopedic surgeon have assured me that I am
protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act, but I have never had to
resort to any such claim.
Does this particular Kroger store really reserve the right for arbitrary
discrimination with regards to customer dress?
Prior to last week I have never had a problem with Kroger stores in Michigan or
any other state. The same holds true for Costco, Meijer, Hillers, Trader Joe,
Aldi, and Wal-Mart stores.
Should I just avoid this particular Kroger store, or can you give me some
assurance that I will no longer be subject to this rude treatment based on my
necessary accommodation for my disability?
Thank you in advance for your response,
**** J ***er, DDS

Dear Dr. ***er,

First of all, please accept my apologies as I was notified of your shopping experience at our Commerce Twp. store in April.
Store management and I conferred immediately after receiving notification of your concern. We counseled our associates that Kroger does allow bare feet in our stores and clarified that there is not a Michigan statue mandating the wearing of shoes in retail establishments.

Therefore, please be assured you are more than welcome at any Kroger store and hope you will continue to favor us with your business. Mike *****ger is the Commerce store manager (248-366-***0). Mike or myself are readily available if you have any questions or additional concerns.

Thank you.

*** N***on
The Kroger Co. of Michigan
Manager of Operations
Phone: 248-536-***4

I have access to Full HTML,

I have access to Full HTML, and that setting resolves the problem. I'm not too impressed with Drupal.

I'm a freaking walking

I'm a freaking walking injury. First my foot then my back and now my foot again. I tried running a 5k on the treadmill and I couldn't even get to 2k. No more running in shoes for me. I've had enough of those POS's.

Abide wrote:I'm a freaking

Abide said:
I'm a freaking walking injury. First my foot then my back and now my foot again. I tried running a 5k on the treadmill and I couldn't even get to 2k. No more running in shoes for me. I've had enough of those POS's.

Time for a couple of weeks off of all exercise, maybe? A rest and a complete reboot? (speaking figuratively on the boot part obviously)

Sometimes I find when something's really important to me, and I can't do it to the level I want to, it's better to just take a few weeks off and then get a fresh start. Maybe you've already been doing that.

But if not, there's the entire discography of Sepultura to review. Or the works of Werner Herzog on video. After all that you'll be dying to run.