When are you a barefoot runner?

Hulahooper

Barefooters
Jul 18, 2014
Not very important question, just a wondering...

At what point did you start calling yourself a "barefoot runner." The minute you walked out the door barefioot? When you did your first 50m test? First race? At what point do we become a "barefoot runner."

Reactions: Bare Lee
When you overtake someone in a race and they shout "Forgot ya shoes luv?" :)

Reactions: scedastic and gueng
I was told you can only rightfully add the word 'Barefoot' to your name after you have done a marathon in bare feet

Reactions: scedastic
I guess when I was confident enough to throw the shoes away.

i don't call myself anything other than being a man who just likes to run bf. i on the other hand can't stop people from calling me bf'er or any other words that may or may not be type able here for TJ's taste.

I don't think there is any distance requirement other than what you would normally call a runner. I mean a track runner who does 100yd dash is still called a runner right? So as long as you run a few times, for the point of running (not running because you were missing the taxi) and your skin to ground, then your a barefoot runner. ;)

I was told you can only rightfully add the word 'Barefoot' to your name after you have done a marathon in bare feet
I think in that case your a barefoot marathoner ;) I'd certainly think a barefoot runner not need to run such a long distance just to be considered a runner. But maybe you were just kidding its hard for me to tell. :p

For me, as soon as running barefoot is your default, your preference, and you only put on footwear when temps or terrain make barefooting difficult or impossible, you're a barefoot runner. Distance and racing have nothing to do with it. No one owns the 'barefoot' moniker. And being a 'veteran' is way overblown. If you step out the door and run a block barefoot for the first time and the light goes off and you 'get it,' you are now a barefoot runner, and will develop a unique take on it that's worth sharing. For others it may take a while to get it, but once you do, you are a barefoot runner. You put on shoes and you feel like you're missing something, you miss the sensuous pleasure, your stride is a bit awkward perhaps, the foot feels sweaty and confined, and it's just not as much fun.

For me, as soon as running barefoot is your default, your preference, and you only put on footwear when temps or terrain make barefooting difficult or impossible, you're a barefoot runner. Distance and racing have nothing to do with it. And no one owns the 'barefoot' moniker. And being a 'veteran' is way overblown. If you step out the door and run a block barefoot for the first time and the light goes off and you 'get it,' you are now a barefoot runner, and will develop a unique take on it that's worth sharing. For others it make take a while to get it, but once you do, you are a barefoot runner. You put on shoes and you feel like you're missing something, you miss the sensuous pleasure, your stride is a bit awkward perhaps, the foot feels sweaty and confined, and it's just not as much fun.

I think that's it right there.

You put on shoes and you feel like you're missing something, you miss the sensuous pleasure, your stride is a bit awkward perhaps, the foot feels sweaty and confined, and it's just not as much fun.

+1

When you are conflicted about putting on footwear of any kind when the environment dictates that it be wisely considered. ;) Really, I like Bare Lee's thought's. My little sentence just comes from what is currently going through my mind regarding my impending marathon, where I don't know what the road conditions will be like.

Very well said. I don't run as far as most and have not reported miles - BUT - ALL of my runs are barefoot. I would not consider going out on one of my runs with or without my dogs with anything on my feet. One thing I felt really good about was the day when a group of folks saw me coming and I heard one lady say :Here comes the barefoot runner!" Thus = I am a barefoot runner.

I guess I would call myself barefoot-adjacent, since I am allowed to post here (so far :) ), and I don't primarily run bf, only when conditions are just so and lovely. Mostly I run in sandals, which I guess makes me a sandal-runner, but that's odd sounding.
In the end, I don't so much as call myself any kind of runner now, as I don't think of what I wear or not on my feet as special.
It only comes up when I talk about how I used to run in thick cushy shoes. In which case I begin with, "years ago, when I was wearing the big thick shoes..."

I guess I would call myself barefoot-adjacent, since I am allowed to post here (so far :) ), and I don't primarily run bf, only when conditions are just so and lovely. Mostly I run in sandals, which I guess makes me a sandal-runner, but that's odd sounding.
In the end, I don't so much as call myself any kind of runner now, as I don't think of what I wear or not on my feet as special.
It only comes up when I talk about how I used to run in thick cushy shoes. In which case I begin with, "years ago, when I was wearing the big thick shoes..."
Hey, this just popped into my inbox:
http://toesalad.com/reviews/review-ulysses-vivobarefoots-huarache-sandal/
http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/coll...6_1413036339_32e534f6003a80ebcf425986a87c4b6b