"Wheatbelly" by William Davis

I don't always trust the

I don't always trust the government though. Look how our government-contolled public schools force children to wear footwear.

Anyway, if the probiotics are something you would benefit from, I wouldn't worry so much with the FDA's involvement in them. If I didn't believe they helped me through some of the worse I've dealt with lately, then I surely wouldn't be talking to you all about them. But because I truly believe they have helped me, I truly believe they can help others.

You can grow your own

You can grow your own probiotics, then you wouldn't have to wonder what's in it, or not.

Yes, a plant.  Probably

Yes, a plant. Probably kefir? I guess he grew his own? I have no talent in that area.

I have no patience for that. 

I have no patience for that. I can barely get sprouts to grow.

So I've been gluten-free for

So I've been gluten-free for 8 days now. When I tried to run last Wednesday I was much slower than what's normal for me. I suspect I did have some mild wheat withdrawal but would not have noticed without running with heartrate cap. Yesterday, day 8, I went for a long run of 10 miles, still slow but felt so good at the end that I decided to gradually let my heartrate come up to 153 over the last mile. I wasn't even close to out of breath and felt great. I ran another three miles a couple of hours later. Today I had NO muscle soreness and went ice skating for two hours. That was quite unusual for me. I also had more energy throughout today. Usually I get tired by mid-afternoon but it's 8 pm and I have not gotten tired at all. I'm wondering if my energy level was affected by the wheat more than by my thyroid. Can't wait to see how this is going to continue.

So far I'm still eating about 100 grams of other carbs a day but may cut that down to see if I can get a little more weight off before my half-marathon on March 3.

Without wheat aggravating

Without wheat aggravating your body, it is better able to purge other toxins from your system, which may make you feel worse for awhile.

jldeleon wrote:Without wheat

jldeleon said:
Without wheat aggravating your body, it is better able to purge other toxins from your system, which may make you feel worse for awhile.

Jen,

I think you are probably right. I think a long run and getting rid of a lot of toxic stuff by sweating must help, too. :)

This is 12 days without

This is 12 days without wheat/gluten and my running is suddenly improving. I had my best run since starting the Maffetone method and am glad I had my heart rate monitor to give me feedback or I may have missed it.

I ran for 1 hour, 4.7 miles (up from 4.4 mph 2 days ago), average heart rate 134, increased speed for the last 1/4 mile only. It will be interesting if I can maintain this improvement during my long run this weekend.

I know this could be coincidence, but right now I'm hopeful that I've found the reason I did not improve for quite a while.

I also want to pass on the link to an interview with Dr. Davis:

http://thediabetesauthority.com/dr-william-davis-new-york-times-bestseller-wheat-belly

I've been busy for a while but wanted to share that after going gluten-free for a while I have now gone l0w-carb, not quite paleo, still enjoying lots of raw dairy, but reducing carbs below 80 grams/day and hoping to get back under 50 grams/day where I was two weeks ago before I got the flu and added sugar to my diet. What finally convinced me was the effect of insulin on fat storage. Within a week of dropping carbs below 50 grams I lost 2 pounds, mostly belly fat and my energy levels in the afternoon improved a lot. And I had thought it was my thyroid that was sapping my energy, LOL. I also enjoy not having any cravings for sweets any more and being able to space my meals 5-6 hours apart without needing snacks. I can't wait to get back there. :)

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test