What's wrong with my huaraches?

tsfairy

Barefooters
Dec 23, 2010
I've made a pair of huaraches using 4ish mm leather and shoelaces. The fit is perfect, and I feel like they're adjusted well, until I start walking. When I walk, they slide forward so that my heel is falling off the end and the front of the leather is catching on the floor/pavement in front of me.

I tried tightening the top strap, I tried tying them slip-on style, I tried tying them around my ankle, I tried tightening them all around my foot and ankle. Nothing works.

What else should I do?

Thanks for that vid.  I've

Thanks for that vid. I've been trying to figure out a differnt way to tie my homemade sandals(not luna or invisible kits). Some other very thin material for store use only. I'll have to try that tie tommorrow.

FWIW, I'm not that into

FWIW, I'm not that into walking in my huaraches...I find them much more comfortable to run in than walk in, generally. Have you tried running in them? It can be a pretty different motion, depending on your walking gait.

I'm a new runner, just

I'm a new runner, just working up to real running. I start with a warmup walk and alternate running and walking. Running in them seemed ok, but walking was just not fun at all so I took them off and just did my run barefoot today.

I really like that alternate tying method in the first link, but not more holes! I lost my leather punch and had such a time punching holes in these silly things.

I don't have a leather punch

I don't have a leather punch so I just drilled the holes in mine. Just go a little smaller drill bit than the material to keep things a little tighter and use something (i used a nail I believe) to push the lacing through the holes. FWIW I have the 4mm Vibram soles (Invisible Shoes kit) rather than leather, so this may make things harder, not sure.

The leather will get a little

The leather will get a little more stiff after you run in them for a while.

I like mine for running but cannot walk easily in them.

You can try drilling with your leather on a piece of scrap wood, I tried that on an old piece of leather before I got my leather punch.

What happens when you shorten

What happens when you shorten the heel section of the cord?

I tried them again today,

I tried them again today, not for running but to run out for a few errands since it's raining and in the 40's and my feet were freezing on the wet pavement. Maybe it was getting them a bit wet, or maybe I just found the sweet spot but today they were perfect.

Tomorrow I'm going to try a run in them. Hopefully they'll still work ok. If not, I think I'll try the alternate tie, which looks promising.

TS,SillyC helped me.  She

TS,

SillyC helped me. She said ya gotta "futz" with the lacing. She was right. I used the 4mm vibram and directions from the invisible shoe web site. After one iteration of lacing, my heels were back to far, after another, my toes were too far forward. After tying and retying several times, I finally found the right lacing.

I still like running barefooted better, but it's too cold for that so I use the huaraches with a pair of wool socks that my wife modified for me by sewing a big toe socket in them. They are like mittens for my feet and keep them warm as long as they stay dry. Pay no attention to those overly expensive Injinji toe socks I have on.

I've now run about 45-50 miles in them and amazingly I really like them. I am reading "The Barefoot Book", subtitled: "50 great reasons to kick off your shoes". Consequently, I hate to put shoes on now! If only I could make a pair of steel toed huaraches then I could wear them at work too.

Hoping all your runs are bare 2 minimal,

Per

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test