What's the deal with wearing shorts over your running tights?

saypay45

Chapter Presidents
May 24, 2010
I saw a bunch of people doing that this weekend. What's the purpose? Is it so that people can't see your butt in those oh-so-flattering running tights? If so, I think it makes you look even more stupid. Or is it for extra warmth around the crotch area? In that case, why not get some nice winter underwear?

I guess I just don't get it.

SP, I think it is to hide

SP, I think it is to hide what those "not" oh so flattering running tights are showing. They own running tights. They own running shorts. Put the two together and voila', you get...well....ummm...someone wearing running shorts with warm legs??

Oh yeah and tights tend to be

Oh yeah and tights tend to be a little cooler for me. Pants get too hot.

I wear a tshirt over my tight fitting long sleeve shirts too, is that bad?

Edit:Nevermind. Didn't mean

Edit:
Nevermind. Didn't mean to write that and there's no way to delete the post.

Okay, so it sounds like the

Okay, so it sounds like the reasons are cosmetic. Well...I don't wear shorts over my tights. I have a nice ass. And people are just going to have to deal with my package.

And no...to answer your question in advance. I am not smuggling a squirrel or other large animal in my pants. :crown:

I like wearing leggings under

I like wearing leggings under skirts...love skirts though don't like running and having my skirt blowing around showing off the goods, so shorts or leggings underneath works for me. Plus I'm a gal of the 80s, love leggings with dresses and skirts :p

saypay45 wrote:What's the

saypay45 said:
What's the purpose?

I'd say it's an effective method of birth control. And it works for everyone--the runner, their friends and family, and anyone who catches a glimpse. There is nothing that makes a person look dumpier, and makes me want to head straight for the monastery, than shorts over tights. Except possibly shorts over tights over shorts.

I think there are tights guys

I think there are tights guys and non-tights guys. Take my husband, for example...never EVER EVER will wear tights, not over his dead body, not even with the view-protection of shorts over them. He's a sweatpants man.

I LOVE wearing tights alone...but I found my new ones don't have a pocket for my keys so I'm wearing shorts over them these days. Goodbye ass-view! Goodbye!

Lol.

umm... tights are tight.

umm... tights are tight. Everywhere... And I mean EVERYWHERE, do you really want everyone seeing that, tights work better then pants though.... Also good luck getting through ONE xc practice in only tights... winter training is guys and girls
shock.png

Can't we all just stop buying

Can't we all just stop buying STUFF to go running? Just asking.

heck no Joshh we've already

heck no Joshh we've already given up shoes...gotta buy something somewhere. I have to say that the tights alone are a no no. If you're proud of your butt and want to show it off then more power to you but I'm not gonna follow suit and I have an amazing ass! I use tights (shorts) for compression or warmth but will always wear shorts over them. If we're talking long tights then it's all moot for me as I have never and will never wear long pants of any kind while running. I just cant do it.