What to say when asked about VFF's?

Abide

Barefooters
May 13, 2010
It seems like I get questions about VFF's almost daily and I am not sure how to respond to people. My first response when people ask about them is to just go barefoot. However most people are not inclined to go that route and really want to now about the VFF's. I don't like them and I don't feel comfortable telling people to try them. Should I feel obligated to support them because they are the lesser of two evils in my view? It seems a little hypocritical if I am wearing them at the gym and then tell people I don't like them.

But do you like wearing them

But do you like wearing them at the gym? Just be honest. You could say, "Some people love them, but I loathe them."

No I don't like to wear them

No I don't like to wear them ever, but they make me at the gym. I am honest usually I say I would rather be lifting barefoot but they make me wear something. For some reason they always come up even when I am barefoot.

I have the same problem

I have the same problem Abide, but I did used to like them at one point. I'm not sure if you started out minimalist like I did though. So I talk about what it was like to transition from a normal trainer into the shoes. I do give people a disclaimer that I only wear them now when out in polite society, and not to run in.

But yeah, people are more interested in the shoes than they are barefooting in general. I get way more questions when I wear Vibrams than when I go barefoot. People want to go barefoot...but they don't actually want to "go barefoot". Like everything else, they want a gadget to do it for them.

No I bought into Ken Bob's

No I bought into Ken Bob's koolaid about a week before my vff's came in the mail, thank goodness. I think I have run 40 miles total in my vff's in the year I have had them. Which may be why I keep hurting myself when I do use them?

Good call.  I hadn't started

Good call. I hadn't started to notice a big change in my form with shoes on until recently. Now when I put on my Lunas my legs feel like they're flying all over the place. I probably look like a drunk running down the road.

I have the same problem. The

I have the same problem. The lady who annoyed me by insulting all the runners at the race I volunteered at last week said she was going to try them but she needed to see how much "support" they had. I just give my standard boilerplate "They didn't work for me." Folks are really interested in the Zems.

I don't like Vibrams for

I don't like Vibrams for running whatsoever, I like my KSO's for hiking/walking and tell people there nice for hiking/walking just not running. In my opinion VFF's are not running footware.

In my opinion theres no such

In my opinion theres no such thing as running footwear ;). Walking footware I'm still game for, just because of shoe wearing rules and people who freak out about barefeet.

Abide, I'd just tell people that you'd much rather be barefoot, but they're better than normal shoes.

people want to know about

people want to know about vffs because they have gotten all the press. they get more press than barefooting does and they are called barefoot shoes so people are put on that path. they need those shoes to run barefoot so they want to know. i personally enjoy vffs and love my ZEMs so I can talk all day about how a minimal shoe can help you get through life happily.

if you're a pure barefoot person then that's all you have to say. tell people that given the choice you would just be barefoot but when forced you wear the vffs or something like them. the rest of the conversation will go from there and you can either tell them to get lost or answer :)

Yeah they are trendy. Maybe

Yeah they are trendy. Maybe that is what is strange for me, normally I pick up on sometime long after it has lost it's hype. No we're right in the middle of it.

I just try to answer people's

I just try to answer people's questions as neutral as possible.

"I heard that it's like going barefoot and it's better for you." - There's a lot of argument about better/worse; it's different.

"blah blah blah anatomy question." - Your foot has lots of small components that simply don't get used while in traditional shoes; those parts get used in these shoes and you'll notice a marked change in your foot. I suggest you take a picture; I wish I had.

"Why don't you just go barefoot then?" - Because these work for me and I like them.

I was was the first person at my gym to don the VFF; I got lots of looks. I finally told people that protocol was to stare, point, and laugh...not just stare.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts