What races do you have coming up or are you planning on doing?

All the Minimus seem to have that strap or reinforcement across the top of the foot so I haven't been interested in purchasing. Also, that light of a trail shoe doesn't really fill a need for me. The range of mileage I would use that shoe would be the same range as sandals.

Maybe it is time to start an updated trail shoe options thread? See what others are trying.
You are talking the new one with 21mm sole right? It's different than any other minimus I've seen. Much more aggressive tread. They've also changed the last of these which is also a bit narrower and I would have to go to the wide option. http://www.runningwarehouse.com/New_Balance_Zero_v2_Minimus_Trail/descpageMRS-NBZV2M1.html

You are right though, maybe we should curb the shoe talk for the shoe forum.

Just one right now. Half Marathon in June. I haven't been running lately due to our new baby girl, and some complications my wife had. I have yet to train, so this half will be in experiment on what running a half feels like with zero training.
Been there done that. Last year I ran a half with very little in the way of training. It worked out better than I though it would, I used the run walk method. Took my time walking through the hydration stations. Wound with a slow time but I was contend just to finish. For those who have years of running with a decent milage base and just lacking training for a couple of months it should be doable, but not recommended for the new runners.

I've got a local 5K June 1st, and then Mt. Washington later in June.

Reactions: NickW
Training for my very first 10k which is the 2nd August - i've never entered an event before. Then I have my first ever Parkrun planned for the 6th September and will be running with my daughter (actually it would probably be more accurate to say that we will be participating in the same event as she is way fitter and faster than me!).

Well this year is a big change for me. Last year I had my record amount of races... 3 5ks, 2 10ks, 2 halfs, and a full. And I PR'd in each distance (all PRs were barefoot too)! This year my training went to heck, I pulled my calf early on, and just have so much going on. So decided I wont push for any PRs this year, no intense training, just go out and run when I can for fun. I might have said some of that before but just a recap here. Had the Cap City Half I already signed up for last year, so I ended up running that but didnt race... just ran along side Yvonne and had a fun time.

For the rest of the year... I may try the Columbus marathon again but not to race it, perhaps the goal will be to finish it comfortably without being in pain for a week after. My distance is finally making a comeback, so I hope to be up to the marathon mileage again by the end of the year, just not pushing the pace. I'm not opposed to trying another race or two somewhere in the year but don't really plan on 'racing' anything this year.

Thanks for causing an itch, I am looking at a night time 15k this weekend.
Why your welcome Abide! :) My itch is pretty great right now too. Kinda hoping this 20k in August will scratch the itch a bit for me. I really don't think the obstacle course race this next weekend will scratch it at all.

Reactions: WildPlace
Nick,

Janson posted on fb those shoes so i fired him. :vomit: he keeps coming back though with his hands open so i let him back in. :banghead:

i'm signed up for Race the Reaper in July. will sign up for Run Like Hell and probably the shamrock next year. that's it for road races. RLH i use as my standard to see how i'm doing although they changed the course for this year. supposedly no more train tracks so the races don't get stopped by the train. i got stopped last year. sucks.

if you can swing it join us for race the reaper. it's a tough course.

Nick,

Janson posted on fb those shoes so i fired him. :vomit: he keeps coming back though with his hands open so i let him back in. :banghead:

i'm signed up for Race the Reaper in July. will sign up for Run Like Hell and probably the shamrock next year. that's it for road races. RLH i use as my standard to see how i'm doing although they changed the course for this year. supposedly no more train tracks so the races don't get stopped by the train. i got stopped last year. sucks.

if you can swing it join us for race the reaper. it's a tough course.
I probably won't be doing it this year Mike, but maybe next. This year is pretty upside down for me still. I'm hoping I can schedule-wise and money-wise be able to do the Alsea Falls 20k in August. It's a cheap race, but with the post office dragging it's feet on giving me a formal job offer it's kind of getting in the way of planning races.

I will try to participate (barefoot!) in most of the road races in/near Marburg which are suitable for naked feet.
These events are marked green in this list:
http://gueng.bplaced.net/laufschule/Volkslauftermine_2014.pdf

Races around here are rather cheap. In most cases, you can run the 10 k for just 5 or 6 Euros.

Hi Gueng,

Wow, that's an admirable number of races on your calendar!

Have you posted this list in the Deutschland-Germany Chapter?

Many Thanks,

Paul

Just the City2Surf run in August (14km) and maybe a few short (10km) trails in Spring.

I will start buildup, with the hope of doing longer distances next year.

My hope was to run a 21km trail in June this year with Kali, but it is too early, I don't think my feet can handle it

Hey Nick, thanks. I ran/hiked 50 miles on a very rocky course Sunday and I used the NB MT110 for the first 30 miles and then the Altra Lone Peak for the last 20. I think that was a good combination. The NB I have in a wide size and really like it. Unfortunately, the new ones coming out are 2 oz. heavier so the never ending shoe search continues. I don't like running in the Lone Peaks, but when the feet get sore from the miles and the conditions are rocky downhill, they work well, or if it is mostly hiking conditions. My friend, the RD of Ultra Adventures who has ran the Bear twice, is trying to get me to try the Altra Olympus and insists that will help me get through the course. I just don't know if I can go with that big of a shoe as I will surely get shunned from here (right, Janson;)?).
I managed to sneak back in Rick! I've become a big beliver in shoes are tools, and you need the right tool for the job. For me, the Olympus is awesome for ultras on a rough trail.

As for upcoming races for me... Ragnar NW relay ultra team, Columbia River Power Marathon, Beat the Blerch Marathon, and Tri-City Marathon. Planning on a 100 next spring.

Reactions: NickW and jldeleon
I'm incorporating a 5K into my training next weekend by running the 3 miles to the race, racing (not too hard) and running home.

The following weekend, June 8, I have a 1/2 Marathon in Philly. I don't believe I'll be challenging any of the leaders or even risking a PR. It'll just be a fun morning's run and not too bloody hot, I hope.

I managed to sneak back in Rick! I've become a big beliver in shoes are tools, and you need the right tool for the job. For me, the Olympus is awesome for ultras on a rough trail.

As for upcoming races for me... Ragnar NW relay ultra team, Columbia River Power Marathon, Beat the Blerch Marathon, and Tri-City Marathon. Planning on a 100 next spring.

Hey Janson. Looks like a fun schedule. What 100 are you thinking about entering?

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11