What is "Long"?

Dirtbag

Barefooters
Oct 17, 2010
Minds out of the gutters.

Everyone has a different definition of what their "long" runs are. I'm curious where different BFRs are at. Is it a time or distance measure? How far would you run before you categorized it in your head as a "long run" rather than just a run?

For me, I'm still building distance. I'm at the point where six miles is an average distance, and eight is my longest run to date. So if I were planning a long run I'd plan on being out for eight miles, somewhere around an hour fifteen. But my runs are triathlon-based and I'm currently training for an Olympic distance, which has a six mile run leg.

Whatever my longest run for

Whatever my longest run for the week happens to be is my "long" run. I'm also still building distance, so my longest bf run to date is 11k (last Sunday). My favorite runs are the long, slow ones in the 2+ hour range, though.

it varies for me. i've not

it varies for me. i've not run over an hour and twenty minutes. that was my longest run. long runs can either be time or distance, depends on the intensity i give. more intense, less time. easier pace, longer time.

Mike

DEFINITELY relative! When I'd

DEFINITELY relative! When I'd completed my first 5K and was building to 10K, a 3 1/2 mile run was long!

These days, 3-4 miles is short, over 4 to 7.5 is medium; over 7.5 is long. Or something like that. :) My longest so far was 14.

Any run on a weekend or

Any run on a weekend or holiday when I have the time to run as far as my legs want: 9 to 12.75 miles (longest yet).

Weekday runs are 4 to 6mi and generally faster because I have to get to work.

Agreed it's relative. Three years ago 7 was a long run; 13 just made me laugh.

10 to 13

10 to 13

I am building my distance, I

I am building my distance, I have had alot of minor injuries during my transition to barefoot, mostly from being too eager! I am at 4 miles for my long run.

I do all my runs based on

I do all my runs based on time.

Currently:

M,T,Th,F - 1.5hrs (~19km)

W - 2.0hrs (~25km)

Sa - 2.5-4.0hrs (~31km-50km)

Su - 0.5hrs (~6km)

I consider 1.5hrs to be my daily run. If I only run an 1hr, I don't feel like I have run as far as I should have. If I am short on time and only run 30min, I feel like at least I got out for a run that day.

Any runs around an hour

Any runs around an hour (about 6 miles for me). That's all the time I can take before I need to be back to take care of the kiddos. :)

At this point, during

At this point, during marathon training

Over 10 miles is long

7-10mi are mid-distance runs

less than 7mi are short runs

Anything over an hour, but

Anything over an hour, but I've had "long" runs that were more like 45 minutes. When I'm at my peak, I get somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 hours for a long run.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts