What do you consider Ultra?

My boss, who's 56, does trail ultra-marathons. He was one of the six finishers in the inaugural Leadville 100 in 1983, and told me about two years ago that he's done over 300 races that were "longer than marathons". I think that's how HE defines ultra-marathon. Just this year, he did a 100K (the Zion 100 in Utah), a 50-miler, and a 100 (The Tahoe Rim 100). Those are just the ones I know of. He might have done more.... I know he did several really long (40+ mile) training runs as well.
The shortest RACE that's an ultra that I can think of is a 5oK. I can see how someone in a 100 mile race might say that a 50K isn't REALLY an ultra, but it clearly is, by definition. If a 50K isn't, then people running the Badwater might turn up their noses at 100s and make the same argument! I did a 25K trail race in May (my longest race so far, but not my longest run). They have a 50K version on the same course, and I'm kicking around the idea of trying that next year. If I do, and if I finish it, I will CERTAINLY consider it an ultra!

Reactions: zapmamak
Last year I did few this kind of single day multiple runs. In one continuous run at around 30 kilometer point I usually get really exhausted and sore, but I have done 25+20+15+5 with 1-2 hour rests and it wasn't that hard, even did last run with some speed.
I certainly think that counts as an ultra! I've heard of people napping at aid stations or along the trail in 100 mile races.

I think Ultras start at 50K.

If you sign up to run a marathon and the course is a little long (say 26.3 or something like that), I don't think you've really put in all that much extra effort to make it the extra 10th of a mile.

To me, if your running long enough that you actually contemplate popping a squat in the woods just a few feet off the trail because you know it's going to be several hours until you see another "facility", then you might be running an Ultra-esque distance.

I think Ultras start at 50K.

If you sign up to run a marathon and the course is a little long (say 26.3 or something like that), I don't think you've really put in all that much extra effort to make it the extra 10th of a mile.

To me, if your running long enough that you actually contemplate popping a squat in the woods just a few feet off the trail because you know it's going to be several hours until you see another "facility", then you might be running an Ultra-esque distance.

Classic Chaser post. Miss you around here. With you, Doomed, and Jason gone, not much bowel talk. Oddly, I just completed my 10th ultra distance and have not experienced the need to pop a squat or issues with it coming out the upper end. I guess I must be lucky or I'm not pushing myself hard enough.

Reactions: NickW
I got to visit with John a little at Hood to Coast on this subject. I'm slightly leaning toward the 50k distance as my new standard of counting an Ultra distance now that I have a few longer runs under my belt. Still, it can be a matter of degree of difficulty that adds points, and not just mileage. I've had a few 20-30 mile runs that have been just as difficult as my 50k plus distances. Just depends on the conditions.

what? my bowel talk was shot down last week. quickly.

maybe those hobby joggersin the mileage thread are too constipated to talk about poop?

Reactions: jldeleon