What Barefoot Gear Do You Use... Hiking or Walking.

XX Dogfather

Barefooters
Nov 11, 2013
Poole Dorset UK
As a natural barefooter I pretty much limit myself to Micropore tape and a roll of sticky plaster. On the VERY RARE occasions when I go minimalist I will reluctantly wear VFF's.

However there is other gear I find essential depending on the time of year and distance I am walking.

1, Drink Safe Travel Tap for long Hikes (Means I don't have to lug my camelbak around anymore)

2, Omm Ultra waist pouch which carries anything I need for a days walking (Including doggie leads and treats).

3, Dexshell Waterproof Beanie to keep the heat in on cold days (It's a bald guy thing).

4, For More challenging walks on the moors or clifftop walks I always pack my Hilleberg Bivanorak. It was expensive but I always feel safer with it.

5, Any old foil survival blanket.

6, A freezer bag or two to put my phone and GPS into just in case I get drenched.

Bear in mind that I rarely walk more than 20 miles in a day (On average I do 6 miles a day in relatively safe heath or woodland) and If I am going somewhere I am unfamiliar I never hike alone. Also snow!!! I can only do about 3 miles barefoot in the stuff before I really start to not enjoy the walk.

What does everyone else find essential or superfluous?

Does anyone have any hints or recommendations?

Reactions: Sid
I've been trying to minimize my gear for the last three years. Faster, lighter, less knee strain, etc. I always tended to over pack. I recently got in a bad situation on a hike and to make it worse, I endangered my son also. So my advice is to not go "minimal" in rugged terrain or wilderness areas. I now sacrifice some speed to carry the gear.

A few must haves that I put in my pack are: extra socks, charcoal hand or toe heaters, lighter, and a small flashlight. Lifestraw water filter (must be similar to your Drink Safe Travel Tap?)

Reactions: XX Dogfather
I've been trying to minimize my gear for the last three years. Faster, lighter, less knee strain, etc. I always tended to over pack. I recently got in a bad situation on a hike and to make it worse, I endangered my son also. So my advice is to not go "minimal" in rugged terrain or wilderness areas. I now sacrifice some speed to carry the gear.

A few must haves that I put in my pack are: extra socks, charcoal hand or toe heaters, lighter, and a small flashlight. Lifestraw water filter (must be similar to your Drink Safe Travel Tap?)

Very good point. Fortunately our rugged wilderness areas in the UK are generally less.... Rugged and wildernessy :D

I do go to Dartmoor and Exmoor a few times a year but those hikes tend to be organised group things unless they are shortish walks that I know well.

I forgot to mention a flashlight though and my Kendal Mint Cake. Thanks for that.

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
Does your Travel Tap bottle fit in the OMM pack bottle pocket? If not any ideas about the best waist pack that would fit it? I've been thinking about a waistpack for a while but need one that fits the TT...Thanks!