Weekly mileage w/e 7/18

Only 4-ish mi this week.

Only 4-ish mi this week. Visiting relatives from the US, hadn't seen a few of them since -03, and a serious heat wave made me lose all motivation to go out for a run. Hoping to get back into it this week though.

Sorry your nerves are still

Sorry your nerves are still bugging you a bit Teej, hopefully the socks will do the trick so you can still run without a a shoe. Is there any sort of nerve training you can do with them on the side to condition them a bit?

Wendy, am I breaking rules buy posting non-runs?? :eek: Rule breaker that I am :p I'm ok with another thread, though might just be easier to keep all week's workouts all in one spot..that's just me though. I'm all about simplicity :)

There are no nerve exercises

There are no nerve exercises that will calm my nerves down. I tried, it didn't work. If running over chip & seal every other day or so doesn't do enough to desensitize the nerves, then I don't know what will...other than cutting them out.

OK, today was my first ever

OK, today was my first ever completely asphalt run! Until today I have been working up to it by running a couple of blocks to a nearby park, then running on the grass, then taking the road back. All in all, those runs are 5km, 1.5km of road and 3.5km approx of grass and hills.

I have done 4 or 5 of those.

Today was different, today I ran along a riverfront trails downtown, all on asphalt and cement. I have to say the cement is nice, old asphalt not so much!

I have to work on my form though, as I am getting blisters on the pads of my feet :(( and got some tightness in my shins and top of foot...

You'll get there dpaul.  I

You'll get there dpaul. I think most of us went through the blistering phase in the beginning. I think it's natural to develop blisters as we find our form.

damn I'm falling behind. Just

damn I'm falling behind. Just got a chance to read all the posts and finally log last weeks miles. My week went like this...

Sun... 6.2 mile hill run VFF

Tue... 8 mile BF

Thurs...4.5 mile speed worrk BF

Sat... 3.1 race VFF

Grand total of 21.8 miles.

I'm slowly building back up after the marathon and should be around 40 this week if all goes as planned.

Great job everyone!

Good running all.  Zumba how

Good running all. Zumba how great is being back on the roads? 39 miles 24 bare 15 KSO. Shooting for 40 this week but not sure if I can increase the bare this week. No wounds just tender this week. Have fun out there!

dpaul, ditto to that...old

dpaul, ditto to that...old asphalt is harsh but a good learning experience, little bits of cool smooth concrete are like little oasis' in the dessert! love them~

Teej, you're right...you'd think that chipseal would do the trick. Did they give you an estimate regarding how long it'd take for your oversensitive nerves to calm a bit? Maybe walking on some hot coals? ;)

nada to report just yet, hoping to get out for 3mi at some point today

Thanks for the support guys!

Thanks for the support guys! :) Im sure you will hear from me again once I can run on this blister again! BTW, I had been really sore from my first soccer game a couple days ago and then my run yesterday, and I was convinced to join my GF for hot yoga. Ha, another first yesterday! Wow, did that ever beat me up, but sure helped my sore muscles.

They should have been calmed

They should have been calmed within 2 - 6 weeks. It's been 3-1/2 months! I'm going to have to have the nerves surgically removed to shut them up. But knowing my luck with this condition, they will just grow back more angry than ever...and they will be wearing beards and carrying knifes!

TJ, I'm sorry but I literally

TJ, I'm sorry but I literally laughed out loud when I read that last part. I had such a great image in my mind when I read that. I hope it doesn't come to that though, pirate nerves are probably pretty nasty to deal with...

Is your doc concerned about

Is your doc concerned about this at all TJ? That's an awful long time past the normal "calming period" :( Maybe you could just soak them in tesguino and drunken the nerve pirates a bit to calm them? What does it feel like, where and what is the pain exactly?

I got in a 3.8mi run in (sort of by mistake), a normal 3mi route is actually closer to 4 than I thought. And DAMN it was hot asphalt! It was only 83 degrees, but the black stuff was burning my feet up! I couldn't imagine running farther than I did on that, maybe my feet are still used to springy March-June temps? Aside from that, run felt good. My healed foot did get a bit achy but feels good now.

The doc that did the

The doc that did the cryosurgery is the one suggesting traditional surgery.

When I walk around, it feels like rubber bands snapping under my toes. I have ball of foot pain now, and I never had that before the cryo. The nerves branch out, and so every part of the ball of my foot has great sensation from the ground, not normal at all. While running, when I hit about 4 - 5 miles the nerves in my feet start shooting needles...or canons longways through my toes.

This surgery did nothing to help me, but I'm sure it does help many others--just not me. It did more the set me back and make my condition worse than it was before, and I let the doc know it. I still have great respect for him and wish he were local, so he could be my regular podiatrist. It's not his fault. It, along with every other conceivable treatment, didn't work for me...when they do work for most everyone else. I have some badass, rebellious nerves, that's all.

Ugh, TJ, that makes me really

Ugh, TJ, that makes me really sad for you actually. You have such a passion for this and have such obstacles to hurdle going through this. I'm sorry the surgery didn't work the way it was intended to. I love your hopeful spirit though and your sense of humor about it all, those things alone will carry you far.

Sounds like you're doing

Sounds like you're doing great jschwab! I can't seem to get past 15 miles a week. This week I said screw it and signed up for a 10-mile race on Saturday. That'll get me out of the 15-mile doldrums, by gum. It's grass and gravel, so should be pretty easy.

As far as speed goes, I measure my paces with my watch. 90 paces a minute (180 really, but I count every other step) gets me to a 8:30 or 9 minute mile; Just moving up to 100-110 paces gets you the 7 minute miles. I would only run fast if you feel comfortable - usually I'm slow too, but sometimes I just have to sprint it out. Good luck!