Weekly mileage 38th week of 2012

0 miles: Pouring rain and HAIL. Blech blech yick yick. Zero miles. Lots of push ups when grading gets annoying.
I'm just waiting for a little break, just a tiny window, the right moment, a chance to shine, that's when I makes me moves.......

Reactions: Bare Lee
0 miles: Pouring rain and HAIL. Blech blech yick yick. Zero miles. Lots of push ups when grading gets annoying.
I'm just waiting for a little break, just a tiny window, the right moment, a chance to shine, that's when I makes me moves.......
Pansie, I dragged myself out with a -3C, and a little humidity keeps you grounded........... On a side note though, I would rather run on a freezing dry day than a warmer wet one so, I know were you are coming from, just yanking your chain now trying to make you smile on a bleak day. :D

Accidentally ran the longer version of my route and ended up going 6.57 miles, which included some hills and about 3 miles of significantly rougher asphalt than I've managed in a couple of months. All barefoot except the last 1/4 mile on real rough asphalt. Can't do that at the end of a long run where I'm increasing my distance! I ran the slowest I have in a while, basically a 12 mm pace and it was extremely comfortable. Thanks to my daughter for coming along and keeping me company!

Is your daughter a runner too Laura? And by the way a 12 mm for a long hard run is alright in my book. ;)
Yah, particularly for barefooters, pace doesn't mean anything without accounting for terrain (and temp). A few weeks ago I ran on gravel at 13:42 mm pace. I couldn't have gone much faster. Rough asphalt or rough chipseal also knocks significant time off my pace. Funny though, on mild chipseal I lose less than a minute per mile, maybe as little as 10-20 seconds. I think that kind of surface limits my distance more than my pace. I can only do about five miles of it right now, but I've also been working on greater sole conditioning lately, in addition to increasing my distance and pace, so hopefully I'll be able to extend my range on (somewhat) rougher surfaces. Ideally I'd get in about 1/3 to half of my miles on rougher surfaces, for a more complete, well-rounded BFR experience.

Reactions: happysongbird
Is your daughter a runner too Laura? And by the way a 12 mm for a long hard run is alright in my book. ;)
Almost everyone in my family is a runner, but I'm the only totally barefoot one. :) Have got most of them in Moc3s much of the time, except for my husband, but he is still in pretty minimal shoe. He always likes the lower, flatter ones, anyway. Funny, he's the one who introduced me to barefoot running, but he is too impatient to do it! He's really fast and competitive in races.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Yah, particularly for barefooters, pace doesn't mean anything without accounting for terrain (and temp). A few weeks ago I ran on gravel at 13:42 mm pace. I couldn't have gone much faster. Rough asphalt or rough chipseal also knocks significant time off my pace. Funny though, on mild chipseal I lose less than a minute per mile, maybe as little as 10-20 seconds. I think that kind of surface limits my distance more than my pace. I can only do about five miles of it right now, but I've also been working on greater sole conditioning lately, in addition to increasing my distance and pace, so hopefully I'll be able to extend my range on (somewhat) rougher surfaces. Ideally I'd get in about 1/3 to half of my miles on rougher surfaces, for a more complete, well-rounded BFR experience.
I am really appreciating and enjoying this all the discussion around here! Even though I "know" things, it is so helpful to be encouraged about them, like going slowly when I need to. I do know that when I was more used to it, I could cruise across the chip seal at a 10 minute pace and do the other rougher asphalt in a 9:30 pace. It will be fun to do that again one day....

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
Pansie, I dragged myself out with a -3C, and a little humidity keeps you grounded........... On a side note though, I would rather run on a freezing dry day than a warmer wet one so, I know were you are coming from, just yanking your chain now trying to make you smile on a bleak day. :D
100% pansy flower right here. Thank you for appreciating my fragile nature.

Another 10 miler, in huaraches, on the gravel trail by my house. First time doing longer ones two days in a row. Had no such intentions at the beginning; it just seems like I can never turn around on my out and back runs anymore. When I tell my family "I'm only going on a short one" and don't show up for over an hour, or two, no one bats an eye, or seems suitably impressed. I really miss the "oooooh you ran how far?!" attention I used to get.

I waited until early evening for the clearing skies. The first mile there were still a few fast moving, low, thick clouds that did give me a tiny bit of rain and even HAIL. Luckily, it was pansy pea sized hail and it only lasted a few seconds.

Accidentally ran the longer version of my route and ended up going 6.57 miles, which included some hills and about 3 miles of significantly rougher asphalt than I've managed in a couple of months. All barefoot except the last 1/4 mile on real rough asphalt. Can't do that at the end of a long run where I'm increasing my distance! I ran the slowest I have in a while, basically a 12 mm pace and it was extremely comfortable. Thanks to my daughter for coming along and keeping me company!
NICE!
My long runs are just getting into the 10mm range, and the ones with lots of hills are still in the 12mm range or higher. The few long runs I've done completely bare (all but one 1mile loop near my house are not bf friendly to me, don't like rough chip seal), especially on rough pavement, have been waaaaay slowed down by terrrain.
I do agree that when totally bare, you've got to give up time goals when the terrain says slow down. The advantage, though, is that you get an automatic pass on pushing yourself too hard.

Reactions: happysongbird
Nice mileage! I'm drooling. Right now I'm working on running 20-25 mpw consistently.
What's your role in the foto shoot? Are you in front or behind the camera?

Always behind the camera. It was a Pop Warner football league, and it was better I didn't run Saturday since it was so hot.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts