Weekly mileage 38th week of 2012

scedastic

Barefooters
Oct 7, 2011
Booya! Beat-cha to it.
1.5 mi slow slow slow with my kids this evening, all of us bf.
had an older fella toolin around on his bike ask us "what's with the barefoot?" pause, as I say nothing, then he says, "I mean, is that stimulating something? Is that why you're doing it?" and of course with my kids around I keep it clean and simple "it stimulates us to run! because it's fun!" he said "oh" and biked away, dissatisfied.

People are always looking for a reason to do something, why not because I can or it works for me, or heaven forbid because I enjoy it.

Sunday Runs:
Terry Fox Run at the park today, ran the first 5 km with my son a good solid 42:30 (it was a PB for him by 2:30), second 5km I ran by myself and rocked the course with a 22:23 not bad I will take that PB for myself.

2nd run was a 4 plus miler with the hound, a sniff here (the dog) a squirrel chase here (once again the dog), a very relaxing way to end the morning.

1.6'ish miles barefoot. Not sure how much exactly but if memory serves me correctly this route is 1.6-1.65 miles. I'm trying to go gadget free right now and just focus on form and getting healthy so that's why no Garmin. It was too long for me, not painwise but just timewise and boredom wise at the slow MAF'ish pace I was doing. Trying to take it very easy and not hurt myself or make the heel problem worse. Very difficult to keep it at that slow of a pace so I think I am going to go back to my 1.1 mile route right now while doing this slow boring pace. I felt very ploddish even though my cadence has gone back up quite a bit now that I am barefoot again.

Reactions: Bare Lee
5 miles, 9:14 pace overall. Family stuff kept me from running on the weekend, but the time off may have done me some good. I felt great today. The first 1 2/3 mile was around 9:30 pace then the last 3 1/3 was close to 9mm pace. That felt great. I wonder if this was a tempo run . . . I don't know if it makes sense for me to do longer distances at supra 10mm paces. It's so much more fun to run around 9mm pace. 8mm pace will be heaven when I finally get there.

Reactions: scedastic and NickW
Hey man, keep taking it slow, you don't want to jeopardize the progress you're making. It'll have been worth it when you're finally doing your kind of running again.
Assuming this is to me. Ya, it just sucks to go really slow, but you know that. I'm not running again till tomorrow so no worries.

Assuming this is to me. Ya, it just sucks to go really slow, but you know that. I'm not running again till tomorrow so no worries.
Yah, I know you know that, but sometimes it's good to hear it anyway, in case you're tempted to run too far or too fast. I took three weeks to build up my mileage again, waiting until the intensive massaging and stretching had rid me of my last tofp niggle before I pushed it a bit yesterday. It sounds like your condition will probably take longer, but hopefully you're on the right track. Are you still doing all the running with a stroller? I know that's the only way you get to run sometimes, but I wonder if it isn't messing with your form and contributing to your pf.

Yah, I know you know that, but sometimes it's good to hear it anyway, in case you're tempted to run too far or too fast. I took three weeks to build up my mileage again, waiting until the intensive massaging and stretching had rid me of my last tofp niggle before I pushed it a bit yesterday. It sounds like your condition will probably take longer, but hopefully you're on the right track. Are you still doing all the running with a stroller? I know that's the only way you get to run sometimes, but I wonder if it isn't messing with your form and contributing to your pf.
Yes I am still running with the stroller, otherwise I would not get to run at all. Come December though when the wife finally graduates I will be able to start running and going to the gym in the evenings by myself. I have wondered too how much it is contributing to my problems.

Yes I am still running with the stroller, otherwise I would not get to run at all. Come December though when the wife finally graduates I will be able to start running and going to the gym in the evenings by myself. I have wondered too how much it is contributing to my problems.
Yah, because running is so repetitive, just being a little off somewhere can accumulate into a big difference. Just gotta wait for December I guess, before you know for sure.

5 in the dark no really in the dark. my headlamp quit after 2mi and I was out in the country with clouds overhead so no moonlight. Kinda fun, trying to stay in the middle of the road, and worrying about the roadkill i didn't want to trip over. slow going out: tight calves.

5 miles, 9:14 pace overall. Family stuff kept me from running on the weekend, but the time off may have done me some good. I felt great today. The first 1 2/3 mile was around 9:30 pace then the last 3 1/3 was close to 9mm pace. That felt great. I wonder if this was a tempo run . . . I don't know if it makes sense for me to do longer distances at supra 10mm paces. It's so much more fun to run around 9mm pace. 8mm pace will be heaven when I finally get there.

Nice pace! Glad you finally got a run. When life gets in the way, not running makes me more nuts than usual.

8mm? Now you're talkin crazy talk. Maybe someday I'll talk that kinda crazy too. Not this day, though.

8mm? Now you're talkin crazy talk. Maybe someday I'll talk that kinda crazy too. Not this day, though.
Yah, I know it's a bit crazy, but I think within a year's time it should be possible, especially if I can keep up with the speedwork and at the same time gradually expand my long run to ten-plus miles. My route out to Como Lake and back is about 7.5 miles, so the long-term goal is to do that in an hour's time, which would be about an 8mm pace (which would still be considered a rather slow jog by the young, skinny guys.). Then we'll see what happens next, but no more thoughts of races or marathons for the time being. I'm just enjoying running and weights and the slow shedding of pounds right now, and don't want to do distances that require me to run slower than 10mm. It just doesn't feel right for me.

4.5 or so, dark, cold and wet weather (40 degrees F), first run in those temps this fall, huaraches did fine. My feet never warmed up, but they never froze either.

Yah, I know it's a bit crazy, but I think within a year's time it should be possible, especially if I can keep up with the speedwork and at the same time gradually expand my long run to ten-plus miles. My route out to Como Lake and back is about 7.5 miles, so the long-term goal is to do that in an hour's time, which would be about an 8mm pace (which would still be considered a rather slow jog by the young, skinny guys.). Then we'll see what happens next, but no more thoughts of races or marathons for the time being. I'm just enjoying running and weights and the slow shedding of pounds right now, and don't want to do distances that require me to run slower than 10mm. It just doesn't feel right for me.
When you ran shod, was that your regular pace?
Curious, because I'm rather sure (never timed or raced before, but it took me a while to go far, so I deduced)
I've always been slow and I was wondering if I could ever turn my regular comfortable pace into something faster.

When you ran shod, was that your regular pace?
Curious, because I'm rather sure (never timed or raced before, but it took me a while to go far, so I deduced)
I've always been slow and I was wondering if I could ever turn my regular comfortable pace into something faster.
I don't know unfortunately. I've only run consistently once before, in Chicago from 2000-2003 (I ran barefoot in Japan 20 years ago but it wasn't that consistent, just once a week or so as a supplement to my karate training). I always ran five miles--three times around the 1.5-mile track in Washington Park, plus a half mile running there and walking back. I got faster over that time, so I would guess I was doing something like a 9 to 10 mm pace in the end. I often ran with an English friend/housemate (I lived in a grad student co-op) who was considerably faster than me. He was a tall skinny guy who would run my five miles with me and then run another five at a much faster pace. I was pretty fast in high school, played safety in football, but I'm not built for endurance running. I'm more of sprinter.

How long have you been running? I would think over time you should be getting faster, especially at your mileage, but you might try adding speedwork of some kind to speed up the improvements. It's also just plain fun to turn on the afterburners once in a while.