Water?

While weather definitely factors in, I basically agree with Barefoot-Gentile that 10k (which takes me around an hour) is the dividing point at which I know longer consider the water a luxury. On the other hand, even I shorter runs, I like the comfort of knowing that even if my mouth just feels dry, I can sip as desired.

Reactions: dutchie53
I'm not used to drink, anything, any time, just some milk as dinner side but I've trained myself to drink. If its sunny and over 30c/85f then its hard to withstand 2h runs but anything below or less is not bothering me. Its not often over 30c sunny here, so prob 2-3 times I've needed water, then I parked car near the track. Before my first marathon I was clueless what to do because then I'd not done it even during training :), I googled it, I failed hard nevertheless. Yesterday we had nice 19c/66f, I had 1 hour interval day and during the evening after that I drank 6 full glass of water. My normal weightloss during the marathon is up to 3 kg, with drinking in every station.

Reactions: dutchie53
At a minimum, one should rehydrate every hour of running...I sometimes do 3 hour runs, but plan in such a way that every hour I can rehydrate...most elite runners with crews that shadow them on long run days are primarily there to rehydrate and refuel them every hour on the hour...with usually means and energy gel and fluids.

I drink about a liter of water at my hourly 'pit stops' and eat 3 or 4 dates on long run days.