Views on racing flats

doublemintgum

Barefooters
Aug 17, 2015
Hello all,
*One quick thing* If I was allowed to run barefoot for cross county I would, but it is against the rules, so I can't.

I am a high schooler and our xc season is underway. So far I have just been doing barefoot runs on my spare time because I think my coach would lose his marbles if I did it at practice, so instead I have to run in minimalist shoes (which he still doesn't approve of.) I run in NB minimus zero v2, and while it isn't the most barefoot shoe, I think it is ok for now, until I can convince him that i won't get injured.

Now to the racing flat part. In my shoes I run in, I realize that there is a big toebox with a lot of room for toe spread, which is good, but in lots of racing flats it seems like there isn't much. While I know that the big toebox is good, but sometimes it makes me feel like there are flippers on my feet that are slowing me down. During races, I much prefer the feel of racing flats and it makes me feel faster. I would only be wearing them for 2-3 mile races 1-2 times a week. What's your position on racing flats and how they affect your form/foot health?

And if the former is completely fine...

Would it be okay if I train full time in racing flats? (I am looking for a cost effective alternative for expensive minimalist shoes)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts