VFFs and freaky webbed toes

OK. So I forgot I have freaky webbed toes (my second and third toes) and just got some new VFFs. Duh. They are actually kind of painful when I first put them on. Do they stretch out much? Are they kind of painful for "normal" people. I thought I might wear them for trail running, but I'm wondering if I will need to alter them in some way. Thoughts? Similar experiences?

Ted's site has a similar

Ted's site has a similar story from about a year ago where this guy's fiancee took out the stiching on the adjoining toe compartments and then sewed them back up shorter for his webbed toes. Perhaps you could search the database over there for that story?

My second and third toes are

My second and third toes are partially webbed, too. It was very painful at the start. My toes got used to it, and they don't bother me at all now. I guess it depend on how webbed they are you could try to get use to it for a few week. Or I searched google for "vibram modifications" and found the tweeks that Barefoot TJ mentioned.

That's great.  I see where

That's great. I see where Justin got the story from Philip/Ted's group. I thought those toes looked familiar!

Thanks so much guys! I think

Thanks so much guys! I think I will most definitely do the modifications on my right foot shoe and leave my left one alone. I think my webbing on the right foot is slightly more pronounced.

I had a friend in high school

I had a friend in high school who had webbed toes on both feet and had surgery to split them apart over one summer. OUCH! I'm not recommending you even mess with your feet (trust me, don't mess with your feet); I'm just sharing something interesting.

I did the modification this

I did the modification this morning. Worked like a charm. Wasn't super sure how the guy did it on birthday shoes, but I documented my whole process and am going to post to my blog with pics in case anyone ever needs it for clarification.

Awesome, Zap.  Was that a

Awesome, Zap. Was that a little spooky cutting the stitching out of your VFFs?

Barefoot TJ wrote:Awesome,

Barefoot TJ said:
Awesome, Zap. Was that a little spooky cutting the stitching out of your VFFs?
Seriously. I've never cut up a brand new pair of shoes before. And an expensive pair at that. Sheesh. :O

Zap-Nice write up.I think

Zap-

Nice write up.

I think the results looks tough... in a good way.

S. Pimp.

Let us know how it goes.

Let us know how it goes.

Just got back from my longest

Just got back from my longest barefoot/minimalist run ever! Logged about 1.87 miles in my newly modified VFFs and another 2.12 miles completely barefoot. My newbie issues seemed to be waning. So far my last two runs were the best by far. All I have to say at this point is... FI-YAH!! Bring it on!! Got my mojo back.

But how did the toes feel in

But how did the toes feel in their new compartments? Any rubbing?

Toes felt great! Absolutely

Toes felt great! Absolutely no rubbing. I think originally the fit of the VFFs are really good which is why I opted for modifying them myself as opposed to trying to go up a size. They seem to fit my feet like a glove and are pretty comfortable. It still feels weird not having my skin in contact with the ground which I prefer, but these VFFs will get me through the winter, trails and some wet stuff. Other than that I think I will try to go barefoot as much as possible.

So a successful fix

So a successful fix all-in-all. Wonderful.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11

Latest posts