VFF Moc

saypay45

Chapter Presidents
May 24, 2010
Okay, I'm not one to look into shoes. But I am a fan of the RunBare site on facebook, and I always get updates from Michael Sandler about how he runs in his VFF Mocs for miles on end, and that they are his favorite minimal shoe. The Mocs aren't supposed to be worn for running, but that's what lots of shoe makers say about shoes that end up turning out really good for running.

Anybody ever tried these things for running? When I tried a pair on they were super comfy, but I'm not about to plop down more than a hundo for these things if they are going to wear out fast.

saypay--I have a friend who

saypay--I have a friend who LOVES them for everyday use. Last I heard from him he hadn't used them for running but was planning to try it. Of course the concern is that they'll wear out quickly. I'll see if I can find out what his experience ended up being, if he's tried them for running now.

Here's what my friend

Here's what my friend said:I've been wearing them to and from work (it's a short walk from the bus stop to work) and they're not holding up really well. I have run in them to catch the bus, but no real distances.

There's a tear in the forefoot rubber that's about an ...inch long. There's also a couple seams in the leather where the stitching came undone.

What I haven't done yet is take them to a cobbler and see if he can re-stitch and reinforce the rubber and have them still feel good. If so then they could work.

Thanks C Beth.  I have

Thanks C Beth. I have thought about them for just walking...probably more than for running. I usually wear Classics out in public, but something like this would be way nicer.

i've got a pair and i've run

i've got a pair and i've run in them once. they were great in terms of feeling but i was so nervous the whole run. the leather between the toe pads and the fore foot pad touches the ground so if you're scuffing around it's gonna wear out. i've considered palsti-dipping that space on the mocs but like you i didn't want to mess with something that cost so much. since finding the ZEMs i haven't considered my mocs for running except for all the times i see Sandler talk about running in his. for me the split toe ZEM offers more than enough feel so the lure of the five toed moc for running went away.

Yeah, I agree with that

Yeah, I agree with that completely Jimmy. I think the risk of breaking these shoes isn't worth the great feel. And if you get a similar ground feel from your ZEMs then that seems like a more cost effective option.