Tried VFFs on for the first time......meh :shrug: Now what?

barefoot.zumba.runner

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
I wasn't super impressed to be honest. Not thinking they are for me, though I may just be spoiled from having not work anything at all during a run since March. It's getting colder here in MN and I need something, relatively inexpensive though quality. We've got one store in town that just started carrying VFFs, I tried the Bikila (prefered without injinji) and the KSO I believe? I'm thinking that VFF isn't the right vehicle for me. Wish it werent so hard to find local minimal shoes, hate ordering online without trying on first.

Anyone else just not feeling it with VFFs?

I've been a vff wearer for

I've been a vff wearer for over four years now so I can't say I feel ya on this one. There are lots of minimal options out there these days but I've found vffs to be the best combination of all needs. I wear my ZEMs almost exclusively now but they are no where near as durable as the vffs...at least not yet. I have had great success with Plasti-Dip making my ZEMs a very durable shoe so maybe it's about how much work you want to put in. It takes me about ten minutes to coat my ZEMs and then I give em 24 hours to dry completely.

In terms of vff the classics and the sprints are both thinner than the two you tried on but you'd need socks with them to keep the tops of your feet warm. I've tried most minimal shoes out there these days and for my money it's the ZEMs and vffs at the top of my list. Terra Plana not far behind them except I don't feel the price is warranted. Kigo's are nice except for the way too narrow toe box. Ummm...maybe it's Jingas for you if none of those work for you?

Jimmy, do you think that the

Jimmy, do you think that the classics or sprints would be ok for running through snow? I run on top of ice, packed snow, through fresh snow, occasionally a slushy puddle. I guess I just assumed that I'd need some more "coverage" on the tops of my feet. I may head back and try the classics, can't remember if they had the sprints.

I did like the looks and reviews of Zems, though not sure if I like that they aren't very durable. I tend to NOT have many shoes for running and would wear one pair, MAYBE alternate 2pairs througout a winter season. I do have a wide toe box, more now that I've been barefooting so wont' even go Kigo's if you think they're narrow.

Definitely keep me posted on the Zems and the plasti dip, how they do into cooler temps, soggier conditions. I would't have a problem with taking extra steps to making them more durable, esp since I run every 1-3 days anyway.

Thanks for chiming in guys :)

I think Five fingers is the

I think Five fingers is the best minimal shoe out there, still. They are very durable, I have about 550 miles on my KSO's, and the bottoms look great. They are my winter minimal wear.

I have ran in snow with them many times last year, without socks. Some runs where in ankle deep snow, and I really didn't have a problem. I have tried socks in snow and wet conditions and found not wearing socks is more comfortable and less cold. Go figure.

Interesting point about the

Interesting point about the socks Adam. I was most comfortable without socks. When I tried to put them on with injinji even in a bigger size, my feet just felt claustrophobic and unable to move much. I'm not completely NOT sold just yet, still exploring my options. Thanks for your insight.

Zum I would say that if

Zum I would say that if you're going to sport the classics or sprints in those conditions then you would at least want socks. I used KSOs for my winter running last year and they were nice. I understand what you mean though about socks and the KSO. I feel very constricted in mine with socks on and can only stand it for a few hours before I have to shed the socks.

I do think the Kigos are too narrow which is sad cuz they are a very well made shoe. I'm currently trying to stretch mine out so I can review them :)

I think that I'd be more

I think that I'd be more inclined to wear the VFF without socks, just based on my experience with trying them on both with and without. I may go back and give the KSOs another try and continue to search around for my ideal winter shoe.

Still keep me posted on how your plasti dipped (where do you get this stuff anyway?) Zems go :) Thanks J!

One other thing you might

One other thing you might want to consider, the one time I used them on snow, I was very dissapointed. They have horrible traction on snowpack. I ended up taking them off and footing it. I was using the KSOs

Abide, I agree. KSOs are

Abide, I agree. KSOs are useless on snow and ice. The times I've tried using them on snow I've just run very carefully, I wasn't man enough to take them off since I'd just come back from a long break from running.

My Treks seem to be ok on

My Treks seem to be ok on slick mud but not sure about snow and ice. I am thinking glove and mitten with the toes. I think they would be warmer in a one finger type shoe.

This is my first year to try the Treks in the winter. I don't like socks with them as much as without. My toes start to ache after a while too from being separated. This is after many hours though.

i was gonna palsti-dip my

i was gonna palsti-dip my feet

party.png

Jimmy,Do you use the

Jimmy,

Do you use the Plasti-Dip spray or the liquid?

How many coats do you initially put? Do you coat the zems and let them dry while wearing them?

you can do it both ways you

you can do it both ways you mentioned. i use the liquid because the spray has less control and it gets messy. a cheap kids paintbrush works great for just painting the stuff on where i want it. i painted it on with the shoe off and that seemed to work just fine. i've thought about doing it with my foot on to accommodate the stretching but the upper still stretches out just fine so i dont think it's an issue

They are so individual with

They are so individual with fit. I hated KSO's and it took me a long time to try Bikilas but I love them now. Not sure what changed. First day I wore the Bikilas Chickpastor sold me it hurt and I thought I was not going to like them, and then they were perfect. They are defiinitely part of my shoe collection now. I am mostly in them because I sprained my toe and needed more protection.

lol Cat, I'm thinking I may

lol Cat, I'm thinking I may have to go that route too...all of these thoughts put into shoes are making my head spin.

Schwab, glad you are liking the Bikilas..how do you think they'll winter for you?

Hoop, are the Treks the same as KSO...is it KSO Trek? Or is there a KSO and a KSO Trek? Keep me posted on how they do for you, we've got similar weather.

Anyone know how the Classics

Anyone know how the Classics perform on snow and ice? I only have the Classics.

I ran with the Sprints (which

I ran with the Sprints (which have the same sole as the Classics), once, and they did pretty well. I was climbing/running Stone Mountain here in Georgia with Mokie and Jim H., and slipped a couple of times, once was pretty bad 'cuz I smacked my elbow on the way down. I would have been fine if I had stayed off the side of a slippery granite mountain. There is no traction in those things, so be careful where you tread.

The normal, flat, VFF sole

The normal, flat, VFF sole pretty much stinks when it comes to snow and ice IMO. I ahven't tried the newer models though.

Okay, I don't plan to use

Okay, I don't plan to use them on any slippery granite mountains.
smile.png
Atleast not yet. Will test the Classics after the first snowfall here in Germany. If it's too slippery, I'll have to try another minimalist shoe or only go barefoot.

Do the Injinji socks work well with the V5F? Just ordered a pair online.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts