Transitioning thought - shoes off at the end or start of run?

Larry

Barefooters
Sep 13, 2012
Hi folks,

I'm just pondering my plan to transition back to barefoot again. My current plan is to start doing 500m or so barefoot at the end of my morning run and then use the 10% rule to make the transition a bit earlier each week.

Seems good in theory, but then I started thinking about how I would be starting to go barefoot at the end, when I could be a bit more fatigued and my form might be wavering. Is this a bad idea? Would it be better to warm up barefoot and then put the shoes on instead?

I'm probably over-analysing things just a little bit here, but I figure it's worth asking.

We are not machines so learning to flexible is the best advice I can give. Even on a short run if something doesn't feel right, you're tired or whatever be prepared to bailout.
Remember to bail is not a fail it's a victory in self-awareness and control.

Reactions: Larry and Bare Lee
Weeeelll, I keep wondering this as well, not to adjust to barefoot, but to give my feet a little bare time in the winter, when they would not be able to handle the full run bf in the cold/snow. My wonder, though, is how to deal with the warmth factor.

I would also think starting bare would sort of "set" your form to be more barefoot like in the shoes?
Who knows, as long as you do it all gradually, it probably doesn't matter either way.

Reactions: Larry
I never thought much about it, but am in the habit of carrying shoes and putting them on if I run into bad conditions. I'm pretty well adapted to BF for the distances I'm able to run, so I'm often just carrying the Bikilas for the whole run. Hand weights, I guess.

Since you're transitioning back, I would suggest the start of the run. Then practice the way it felt to run correctly while in shoes. If it's cold, maybe start in shoes till you get a sweat going, then pull the shoes for the distance you are up to barefoot for that day. This is all assuming your focus is keeping your mileage up and working on the transition, not focused on time. Then again, purposed short barefoot runs separate from your normal runs until they can replace them, may be a better idea at the very start. 6 one way, half a dozen the other.

Jonny

I always took them off at the end of my run, but that's because my nerves couldn't take the boat anchors anymore. I should have pitched them in the trash way back then!

Some good points in there, thanks all. I suppose the best bet is to try things out and see what works.

I think while my running distances are short I can use it as a warm up to 'set' my form, that seems like a great idea. I'll probably keep doing this even if I finish with the shoes off. I also like Jonny's idea of doing separate runs, mainly because I'm trying to get to a point where I do something daily, and I'm nervous about running every day (I'm reading the other thread about this with interest). I guess if I'm running a regular run with short barefoot runs on the off-days, as this grows I'll gradually find myself running longer runs every day.

Reactions: scedastic
Welcome back, PR!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test