Training Advice

James7

Barefooters
Aug 5, 2011
Hi,
I've been running for quite a few years and eventually ran my first Marathon at London in 2010 with a sub 4. I then lost interest in running, perhaps i had reached my goal, but last year rediscovered my enthusiasm through bf/minimal.
Currently i'm up to 4 miles bf at around 9 m/m and generally run once a week. I've signed up for a 10k in Dec and would like to get back to sub 50 min if poss.
How would you advise to proceed without risking injury running 3 x per week? I also have Lunas which I use occasionally.
Thanks in advance.

giving up on goals for racing right now will help with keeping you injury free. don't worry about racing. it will come. there's always anther one. just learn how to run first and run light, easy, and smooth. speed and distance will come much easier if you get the first part down.

I've stolen that quote, too, Mike. It's still good advice. James, if you really want to tempt the running gods, you go all gung ho for that 10K. If you want to just go for a nice run at that distance, taking your time and smelling the roses (or the chip shops along the route) that would probably work out just fine for you. Remember, at your stage of this BF running game, speed kills!

Thanks for the advice i'll go with that. What's the safest way to up my milage from currently 4 per week in 1 run?
Cheers.

Some things to consider that may help keep your feet healthy, and make them stronger:

• Start a program of deep-tissue foot (self) massage and stretching - a LOT of this stuff
  • Walk barefoot every chance you get (create chances when none appear on their own), and walk on rough stuff
  • Don't run on high-risk terrain, meaning where you could get a nasty bruise or puncture (walk instead)
  • Hot/Cold therapy couple times a week - hot tap water and a bucket of ice water, for example. Run the former over the feet till they're red and sore, then plunge them into the ice water till they feel normal, then back under the hot water (maybe five repetitions, usually about 20-30 seconds each)
Anyone else?

Go barefoot as much as possible;
Roll your feet using a golf ball at your desk (or watching the telly or whatever you Brits do (I'm assuming...London marathon and all...))
Deep tissue pressure point massage your calves if they feel tight (tight calf muscles will lead to tight tendons/tendonitis)
I don't perscribe to stretching anymore...
I run for fun now... (although, I'm still pushing for a better Marine Corps Marathon time than last year...Username says it all...)
If you feel pain... STOP! Rest until pain subsides then start back at a reduced distance/speed
Focus on your form. Speed and endurance will come naturally.

HAVE FUN!

Cheers.

Thanks for the above. I've tried to adopt a barefoot lifestlye for over a year now. I wear shoes at work but they're vivos and i take the insole out. Any other time i'm barefoot or lunas.
What is the hot/cold therapy used for?
Cheers.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts